Recipe Section > Pork

It's a Wrap! for pulled pork

(1/4) > >>

Michael_NW:
I had posted my results of wrapping pork butt in foil vs. butcher paper back in December in order to refine my method. I just wasn't happy with the results prior to that, and while that cook was by far the best pulled pork I had done, there was still room for improvement especially in the bark dept.. So I changed up my pit temp variables, today, and tried it again. The results were awesome, my wife loves the pork, and I'm glad to finally have found a method that appears to be fool-proof (cuz I can be a fool, at times).   :P

Here's what I did:

* Dry brined two 9 lb pork butts 48 hours prior to cook
* Applied dry rub (mine was an altered Memphis Dust) 24 hours prior to cook
* The morning of the cook I applied a thin coat of maple syrup with another light coat of rub
* The meat went on the smoker at 6:00 am at 225; when they hit an IT of 160 I wrapped one butt in foil and the other in butcher paper, raised pit to 275; this was at 2:00 pm
* The meat came off the smoker when they probed tender at ~203 IT, rested in an unheated oven for an hour, then pulledThis is the foil butt - lots of juice, tastes wonderful
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
This is the bp butt - lots of juice and flavor, more bark
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
Both side by side, foil on the left. You can see the bp pork is darker due to more bark.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

So, it's butcher paper for me and I'm sold on this method. Even though I had used maple syrup for the rub glue I couldn't taste it in the final product so I probably won't do that again. Others with a more sensitive palate might be able to taste it, but not me; I can't tell any difference between different pellet flavors, either. I pulled the butts using tongs - they were soooo tender. After pulling both butts I poured the juices into a fat separator and poured the meat juice back over the meat, though it wasn't necessary from a moisture standpoint it did add quite a bit of flavor.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Craig in Indy:
Looks and sounds fantastic. I may have to get me some butcher paper.

Kristin Meredith:
Very nice experiment. I love when folks do stuff like this and then share results.  Thanks.  And your pork looks great :clap:

triplebq:
Yum

cookingjnj:
Great looking PP.  Thanks for sharing.  Butcher paper it is for my next PP cook. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View