Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not Getting Steady Flow of Pellets into the Burn Pot  (Read 1809 times)

AZRaptor

• Using less gas.
Not Getting Steady Flow of Pellets into the Burn Pot
« on: February 04, 2018, 12:14:19 PM »

So I fired up my Grid Iron this morning to start my brisket and ribs cook for the game this afternoon. It was taking some time for the temp to come up and when I checked I realized I had made a bonehead mistake and forgot to refill the hopper  ::) After refilling the hopper and priming it until pellets came out in the pot, I restarted the grill with it set to 350. The temp started climbing, but when it got to about 160 it stalled and started dropping. I went back out and pulled all the grates again and the burn pot was empty of pellets, but I could clearly see some pellets in the auger ready to feed into the pot. I tried pressing the primer button and got nothing. I powered the grill off and then started it again and I was able to prime the pot but once again the temp went up (this time to about 180) and then started to drop. I’ve tried this about four times now and the result has been the same.

Edited: The auger was turning so I corrected the title.

For now the grill is off and I move the brisket over to my PG500. I’ll have to look at it more when I get back from mass in a couple hours, but if anyone has any ideas what’s going on, I’m all ears.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 04:15:44 PM by AZRaptor »

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Auger is Only Feeding if I Hit the Prime Button
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 12:17:25 PM »

empty the pellets from the hopper and see if you can determine if the auger is moving when you turn it on...maybe you have a pellet jam in the auger

also check to make sure your temp probe is clean
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

AZRaptor

• Using less gas.
Re: Auger is Only Feeding if I Hit the Prime Button
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 04:14:12 PM »

I emptied the hopper and the auger is feeding. I just sat and watched it for 5 minutes and its been feeding fine. I think I could have found a reason for it, but I’m kinda surprised if it’s the reason. The first couple cooks I did on the Grid Iron was with the bag of BBQ Delight pellets they sent with the grill. When I ran out of that this morning I refilled the grill with the Smoke Ring BBQ Pellets I have been using on my PG500.

I’ve noticed in the past this brand of pellets has had longer pieces that the CookingPellets brand I used to use. I would think the auger would break them up with no issue, but I can’t think of what else could have caused the issue.

triplebq

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • If you are looking you ain't cooking
Re: Not Getting Steady Flow of Pellets into the Burn Pot
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 07:44:44 PM »

I agree with you. One would think the auger would break them up.
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

KNIGHTDAD

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 09:18:30 PM »

I’ve used Smoke Ring pellets numerous times in my GS with no problems. I have also noticed that there some pellets that are longer. Then again, I’ve noticed that CookingPellets also have longer pellets now that they ship in individual boxes.

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 10:07:35 AM »

Could the longer pellets have bridged? A freak I know. Stuff happens.  If pellet delivery is working now; motor solidly connected to the auger and pellets dropping, it is the only explanation I have.

MP09

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 10:08:21 AM »

Unplug it and wait 5 minutes to reboot it.  Make sure your burnpot is empty. I ran out of pellets once and this cleared up the problem...
BGW Grid Iron and a bunch of old gassers "now retired"

AZRaptor

• Using less gas.
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 01:37:29 PM »

Unplug it and wait 5 minutes to reboot it.  Make sure your burnpot is empty. I ran out of pellets once and this cleared up the problem...

Thanks I’ll do that today and cook a couple more racks of ribs to test it.

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 02:27:05 PM »

If pellet length turns out to be your problem, although I also cannot imagine that it would be, try pit boss pellets which are IMO much shorter than normal.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Timbo1010

• Using less gas.
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 09:57:10 PM »

I have had this exact problem happen to me. Hopper was empty, opened a new bag of Hickory Cookin pellets and dumped in, I  primed the anger got the Gridiron running and then the temp started dropping. Trying to figure out what was wrong I dug out all the pellets, turns out a few extra long pellets wouldn't let the pellets drop down to the anger right. I broke them up put the pellets back in fired it up, fixed. Never had problem again but check pellets before I dump in hopper.
Cookin pellets is my favorite brand of pellets,I don't know why I got a few long ones and don't care. The problem got fixed and I still use Cookin pellets, great pellets
Blaz'n Gridiron

AZRaptor

• Using less gas.
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 07:55:15 PM »

I finally got a chance to cook a couple racks of ribs this week to test things out and it fired right up, came up to temp and coasted at 250 for my entire cook.

They were darn tasty.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 07:56:47 PM by AZRaptor »

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 09:36:17 PM »

Hopefully a one time issue for you...looking good
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Timbo1010

• Using less gas.
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2018, 12:22:57 AM »

Fine looking ribs there! Glad you got it working
Happy smok'n
Blaz'n Gridiron
Pages: [1]   Go Up