Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Verdé Enchilada Pork Chili  (Read 4130 times)

ofelles

• Using less gas.
Verdé Enchilada Pork Chili
« on: March 30, 2019, 02:33:44 PM »

Here's my recipe for pork chili that always get rave reviews.  Enjoy.  New Mexico Hatch Chiles are best.  Fresh are only available for a short time but fire roasted are available year round.  At hatch-green-chile.com/  they're offering 15% off for pre-orders on this years crop right now.
Orion

Verdé Enchilada Pork Chili
Yields: 6 - 8 servings

Ingredients:
•   Â½ pound bacon, cut into ¼" pieces crosswise
•   3-4 pounds pork butt or shoulder, trimmed and cut into ¾" cubes (or whole if smoked)
•   Â½-2 fresh jalapeño peppers, stems and seeds removed and chopped (to desired heat)
•   3-4 tablespoon lard, if needed
•   1 medium white onion, diced
•   1 teaspoon kosher salt
•   Â½ teaspoon ground cumin
•   Â½ teaspoon sweet paprika
•   1 tablespoon Ancho Chile powder
•   ⅛-¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper or Aleppo pepper
•   ⅛-¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
•   4 cloves garlic, minced
•   Â½ cup all-purpose flour (optional)
•   4-6 cups Green Enchilada sauce (recipe below) (or 1-28oz can green enchilada sauce & 2-7oz cans salsa Verde)
•   2 cups chicken broth (more if needed)(homemade is best)
•   1 pound cooked dried pinto or black beans (Rancho Gordo)(or 2 to 3-15oz can Pinto or Black beans, drained)
•   Â½ to 1 cup masa harina
•   1-2 cups liquid from chiles, beans, or water
•   Â½ bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
•   Lime juice, to taste
•   Limes, cut into wedges, for serving
•   Cheddar or Jack cheese, shredded, for serving
•   jalapeño peppers, sliced, for serving

Preparation:
1.   If using homemade sauce; prepare first.  If using dried beans get started.
2.   Cook bacon in a large skillet over moderate heat, turning, until crisp.  Transfer to paper towels to drain. (See smoker option #7) or with the bacon grease; stir in the pork and cook until evenly browned.  Add the jalapenos and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Remove the browned pork and jalapenos and set aside with bacon, reserving 3 tbsp grease.
3.   Heat the reserved bacon grease in a 6-9qt heavy pot then add the onion. Cook for 2 minutes or until the onion starts to soften. Stir in the salt, cumin, paprika, Ancho Chile powder, cayenne and black pepper then cook until the onion is soft. Mix in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
4.   Reduce the heat to low. Optionally, sprinkle the flour over the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring for three minutes. Slowly pour the enchilada sauce into the onion mixture, whisking constantly to prevent lumps from forming. Mix in the chicken broth and maybe some bean liquid.
5.   Return the cooked pork mixture and pinto beans to the pot. Increase the heat to medium and slowly bring to a boil. When the chili boils, reduce the heat and slowly simmer for 1-3 hours. Mix masa and water then add as needed to thicken. Before serving remove from heat and stir in chopped cilantro and lime juice.
6.   Serve with sliced fresh jalapeño, shredded cheese, avocado, sour cream, lime wedges and tortillas.
7.   Smoker option: Preheat Smoker (YS640) Pellet Grill to 225ºF, set up for smoking. Trim excess fat and silver skin from the outside of the pork roasts. Rub the roasts with a thin layer of binder (water, oil, mustard, hot sauce, etc.) season all surfaces with Pulled pork dry rub. Smoke the roasts on the 2nd shelf for 60-90 minutes until the internal temperature of 115ºF-120ºF. Remove from the grill and allow to rest for 20 minutes. Dice into bite-sized pieces and return to step 5. Can use a cast iron pot and cook the whole thing in the smoker.
Note: Better if eaten the next day.

Recipe me

Green Enchilada Sauce
Yield: about 4 cups (but double for extra)

Ingredients:
•   2 tablespoons lard
•   1 medium white or yellow onion, diced
•   4 cloves garlic, minced
•   1 pound green tomatillos, husked, washed and sliced into quarters
•   1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, seeds and ribs removed (depending on heat desired)
•   6 large poblano or Anaheim peppers, stem and seeds removed
•   Juice of 1 lime
•   Â½ cup of fresh cilantro, chopped
•   4 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth (again homemade best)
•   1 teaspoon cumin
•   1 teaspoon Anaheim chili powder
•   1 teaspoon smoked sea salt, to taste
•   Black pepper freshly ground, to taste

Preparation:
1.   Preheat broiler. Place poblano and jalapeño peppers on a foil-lined baking sheet and roast, turning until blackened in spots and cooked through, about 20 minutes. Let steam in a paper bag for 15 minutes.
2.   Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp of lard in a heavy bottomed saucepan over med-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes.
3.   Peel skin from roasted peppers. In the blender add peppers, tomatillos, cilantro, jalapeno, poblano and lime juice. Blend on medium until smooth, adding the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil to get things moving. (and some broth if needed)
4.   Pour the tomatillo mixture in with the onions and garlic. Add the vegetable broth, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper and whisk to combine. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Allow to simmer on low heat for about an hour, or more to thicken the sauce. (sauce can also be simmered in a slow cooker all day)
5.   If desired, blend with an immersion blender or throw the mixture back into the regular blender for a smoother sauce. Season to taste with lime, salt and/or pepper.
6.   Serve over tacos, as an enchilada sauce, inside burritos, or as a dip for chips.

Modified shrinkingkitchen.com/homemade...chilada-sauce/

« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 04:31:13 PM by Bentley »
Yoder YS640
LSG 48" Santa Maria Grill
LSG Insulated Cabinet Smoker

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Re: Verdé Enchilada Pork Chili
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 07:25:38 AM »

That is some recipe ofelles! You must be some cook.  Thanks for posting.

ofelles

• Using less gas.
Re: Verdé Enchilada Pork Chili
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 12:24:36 PM »

Thank you Canadian John
That's true-I'm some kind of a cook.  I try to use the best quality of products and make things from scratch when I can.  The results have proven to be great.  One of my sons made a recipe of mine cutting a few corners and commented to his sister, that it didn't taste as good as Dads.  She said you have to remember that he spares no expense in time or money when he cooks.  I get satisfaction when people enjoy my food as much as cooking them.
Yoder YS640
LSG 48" Santa Maria Grill
LSG Insulated Cabinet Smoker
Pages: [1]   Go Up