Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oil Smoke Points  (Read 571 times)

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Oil Smoke Points
« on: August 30, 2017, 02:15:01 PM »

They change flavors when they smoke,

Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

riverrat49

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • "If all else Fails call it Burnt Endz" Spokane, WA
    • G-Pa D's BBQ Team
Re: Oil Smoke Points
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 02:18:09 PM »

Thanks for posting this, it's a pretty handy chart, my Fav is grape seed oil, it is a very light tasting oil and has a pretty high smoke point.
World Food Championship Culinary Team- 2016, 2017, 2018 Taste of America Challenge Champion- 2016/2018 World Food Championship Judge Competition Pitmaster/ Certified BBQ Judge

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 02:24:01 PM »

Thanks for posting this, it's a pretty handy chart, my Fav is grape seed oil, it is a very light tasting oil and has a pretty high smoke point.

Yeah.  Really high and neutral flavor.

This is a little large.  I can reduce it but it may lose some readability.  I think I'll convert it to an Excel SS and maybe lose the Celsius column (sorry QuadMan750).

I need to find a way to convert it without retyping it.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 02:26:23 PM »

I have just started using avocado oil.  Does not have any real flavor and I like the high heat point.

LowSlowJoe

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 03:52:15 PM »

Funny thing about palm oil...

My 13 year old daughter, who usually isn't too picky about food, but has a great sense of taste... I use her as my taste tester, because she really does have very good sense of taste.

So, I buy these off brand potato chips, because they are cheaper... She tells me she doesn't like them...  I think to myself... They don't taste any different to me, and they are cheaper, so unless others go on sale, your getting these....   Well months go buy, where occasionally she would get the name brand chips, but always would complain about the one brand that was always cheap...     So, one day I start to look at the ingredients... the only thing different , is that the brand she doesn't like , uses palm oil.      I personally can't taste the difference, but she apparently can, and doesn't like it.

I told this to a co-worker, and she told me there are apparently some people that just don't like the palm oil... she went into other negative things about palm oil, that I don't remember now.

But anyway... My daughter hates potato chips made with palm oil, that I can tell you for sure.
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 04:04:29 PM »

As soon as we start making more napalm the price of palm oil will go up and that chip maker will change to something she likes.
Paul

Queball

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 04:17:08 PM »

Just clicked on it and saved it in pictures as a jpeg. It then can be printed out easily. Very interesting temp comparisons.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 04:37:23 PM »

I have it as an Excel File.  PM me if you want a copy.
Paul

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 06:23:14 PM »

I thought Palm oil was one of the most expensive, I must be wrong and I thought EVOO smoke point was 400° I must be wrong again! Used to love the taste of a cereal made with it...It was a brown cereal, looked like an O...cant remember the name of it for the life of me.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 06:47:10 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”
Pages: [1]   Go Up