Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Canadian John on 07 Feb 2018
  • I only did it a few times when I 1st got it, then started to realize that a seasoned pit to me is better then a real clean one, and just started using the scraper and Shop vac!
    Which brings up the questions:
     What is a seasoned pit?
    Why does it improve performance in your cook? Or does it really do that?
    If you don't do a major clean what happens?  Do you get soot into your cook?  Fires?

Seems that some of the best BBQ joints I've been to have big heavily soiled stick pits that don't look like they've been cleaned ever. Does that have anything to do with the taste of the BBQ?  Or if not then why worry?
    Just a few valid answers would be appreciated. :help: I have always enjoyed the "grungy" pits of the south that produce true "Q ...  A new shiny pit doesn't cut it for me, that is , in a commercial setting. At home,I prefer to keep the outside clean. Internally; scrape, brush and vacuum... I don't have a pellet fines (dust) problem so no need to vacuum the hopper.. If doing a hi temp cook w/ a dirty pit, there will be a carryover taste unless the pit has gone thru an internal clean and burn-off.
  • #17 by Bentley on 07 Feb 2018
  • One that has a coating of cooking on it.
    I don't think it helps with things like temperatures, but I do think it helps with things like fly ash.
    Not sure what major is, I do want to make sure there is never standing grease in my pit or I certainly will have a fire. Not sure if it is soot, but there is definitely a black substance in the smoke if I do not.
    It might, not sure how to quantify it. 

Which brings up the questions:
     What is a seasoned pit?
    Why does it improve performance in your cook? Or does it really do that?
    If you don't do a major clean what happens?  Do you get soot into your cook?  Fires?

Seems that some of the best BBQ joints I've been to have big heavily soiled stick pits that don't look like they've been cleaned ever. Does that have anything to do with the taste of the BBQ?  Or if not then why worry?
    Just a few valid answers would be appreciated. :help:
Pages:
Actions