Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rec Tec Stampede RT-590  (Read 8676 times)

Lantern

Re: Rec Tec Stampede RT-590
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2018, 03:39:15 PM »

I also have the Stampede on my short list for a first-time pellet grill. One concern is it appears from the pictures on the web site there is only 9-9.5 inches of vertical clearance. The Daniel Boone has 13 and Yoder about 12. May be pushing it with a large turkey especially since I like to keep it a roasting pan and baste it. Not sure if a beer can chicken would stand up.

This is one of the reasons I went with a MAK. 14 inches was enough to do some serious bird work. But, I wouldn't totally discount the 590. The lack of height helps it keep higher temps without going insulated.

MP09

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 01:51:13 PM »

Your correct about the beer can chicken.  Beer does not get hot enough. Better option. Spatchcock chicken and enjoy a cold beverage...
BGW Grid Iron and a bunch of old gassers "now retired"

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2018, 04:39:46 PM »

Would seem to me it would depend on what temperature you cook your chicken at...I cook mine at 350°, I guarantee there is no liquid left in the can when I am done...It just made no impact on the chicken.  The effect of the chicken cooking upright was more of a help then the liquid!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 04:42:06 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

lamrith

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2018, 04:56:37 PM »

Your correct about the beer can chicken.  Beer does not get hot enough. Better option. Spatchcock chicken and enjoy a cold beverage...
Not sure what temp you are trying to cook the throne chicken at that it does not get hot enough?  Beer obviously does something, even if it just goes into steam and adds moisture, the temps most people do throne chicken at is hot enough the beer will convert to steam.  The few times I did it, there was no beer left in the can at the end of the cook.  This is not a format you would use for low N slow cooking/smoking.

Would seem to me it would depend on what temperature you cook your chicken at...I cook mine at 350°, I guarantee there is no liquid left in the can when I am done...It just made no impact on the chicken.  The effect of the chicken cooking upright was more of a help then the liquid!
I see a test sequence in your future Bentley!  3 chickens on a throne @ 350*.  1 can with beer, one with water, one empty and then have people do blind taste samples.

Ross77

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2018, 05:25:41 PM »

Yes, Meathead debunked the beer can chicken method. The beer might get hot but not boiling hot. I always had beer left over in the can. I’d drink half and there was about 1/4 can left at the end of the cook. This was on a gas grill. I’ve never bothered on the pellet cooker.

Having cooked them both ways I personally don’t think it makes any difference as far as moisture is concerned. More of a gimmick than anything.

Rec Tec RT-680 Char-Broil Patio Bistro  MES: Sold WSM: Sold

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2018, 05:41:27 PM »

As for the smoke vents:  If they had added a small hood that was just above and in front of the vent holes, that would have eliminated both wind problems and also rain leaking in the  holes when cooking or not.   Some other pellet poopers with vents on the drum have those hoods.  Can't remember what brand but have seen it.  I think it was Memphis grills.  ?

lamrith

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2018, 06:25:56 PM »

As for the smoke vents:  If they had added a small hood that was just above and in front of the vent holes, that would have eliminated both wind problems and also rain leaking in the  holes when cooking or not.   Some other pellet poopers with vents on the drum have those hoods.  Can't remember what brand but have seen it.  I think it was Memphis grills.  ?
It was stated in one of the videos that the vent covers for the mini/trailblazer will work for the stampede, so they are available.

okie smokie

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2018, 08:17:09 PM »

It was stated in one of the videos that the vent covers for the mini/trailblazer will work for the stampede, so they are available.

Here you go:

« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 02:31:35 PM by Bentley »

LowSlowJoe

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2018, 08:07:13 AM »

I am not a huge tec tec fan (don’t dig their marketing vids and don’t care for the bull horns), but I like the look of th stampede for an pellet cooker for the rv...either this or the DC.  Be looking forward to some thoughts on it once they start shipping

Ps - spatchcock chicken ftw here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I could say much the same...    and have in the past.      But they have started to change a bit, they apparently hired at least one guy who does many of their videos now, and in general it seems the extremes of their marketing has been toned down a notch.   The Bull horns look a bit less... intrusive on a black grill , so that's a plus in my book. ( however there are some die hard Rec Tec owners that aren't so happy about loosing the bright red color ).

Meanwhile... Are you sure your talking about the Stampede , in the context of being good for the RV?    Stampede is actually quite a large grill, it's main cooking chamber is 30" wide, 20" deep... They don't list the weight on these, but I suspect it's over 100 pounds, maybe pushing 125 pounds.     
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

lamrith

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2018, 01:05:25 PM »

I am not a huge tec tec fan (don’t dig their marketing vids and don’t care for the bull horns), but I like the look of th stampede for an pellet cooker for the rv...either this or the DC.  Be looking forward to some thoughts on it once they start shipping

Ps - spatchcock chicken ftw here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I could say much the same...    and have in the past.      But they have started to change a bit, they apparently hired at least one guy who does many of their videos now, and in general it seems the extremes of their marketing has been toned down a notch.   The Bull horns look a bit less... intrusive on a black grill , so that's a plus in my book. ( however there are some die hard Rec Tec owners that aren't so happy about loosing the bright red color ).

Meanwhile... Are you sure your talking about the Stampede , in the context of being good for the RV?    Stampede is actually quite a large grill, it's main cooking chamber is 30" wide, 20" deep... They don't list the weight on these, but I suspect it's over 100 pounds, maybe pushing 125 pounds.     
I am one of those that loves the red.  Would not and does not stop me from recommending them now that they are black, just  bummed to see it no longer.  Mass market is where it is at though...

I agree with you I think gtsum2 is probably thinking of the trailblazer which is the portable unit replacing the mini.  The Stampede is more a DB sized unit, not a DC.

okie smokie

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2018, 07:49:04 PM »

Sorry, I sent the wrong pic for the vent covers, but they do have them and they will fit the stampede.  $9.95 apiece.   
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up