Pages:
Actions
  • #46 by Bentley on 07 Apr 2018
  • Controller is set on 300° right now.  Gonna go turn to 325° on controller and see if we can get to that 275° range!

• #47 by Bentley on 07 Apr 2018
  • Decided to leave temperature at 300° and move rack probes to dead center to give better idea of center temperatures.

• #48 by Bentley on 07 Apr 2018
  • Obviously not exact, as the grate in the pit is larger then the tray.  But the chicken sits on the tray just like it did on the 2nd shelf in the pit!  About a 75 minute cook to get the large pieces to 160°.

• #49 by Bentley on 07 Apr 2018
  • As you can see, the meat towards the back cooked faster then the front.  No burn, no issues, easy enough to rotate 180° if you so desire.  I choose to cook this way so you all could see.  Pit has been turned to smoke.

As soon as it get there, these will be sauces and vac sealed for the Volunteer Fireman, let me thank all of you who bought a ticket for this PR right now, as I know they will want that passed along as soon as we tell them who they are from!

Sausage is up in about an hour.  FMT has asked for 170° till IT of sausage is 155°!
  • #50 by Bentley on 07 Apr 2018
  • Here they are and no I did not try them.

• #51 by Bentley on 07 Apr 2018
  • Right!

1st time I have ever had sausage go up and down on temperatures at the end.  Got tired of it and just pulled them, they seemed OK at 153°!

1st shot is a 60/40% Beef/Pork, Jap & Onion, 2nd was a modified all pork Polish with excessive amounts of minced garlic, which I nor Kristin can even taste.  I will have some of both tonight with my salted, purple sauerkraut!  Cant for the life of me figure out what the red in the Polish is...all I can think is I put Red Pepper Flakes in, but I sure don't remember doing that!

Both ground the same way, but textures completely different, I don't get that either!

• #52 by Bentley on 07 Apr 2018
  • Yes.  Not on these, I did use powdered milk in the Trail Bologna!

Was the casing the same on both?  Do you use a binder?

• #53 by Bentley on 08 Apr 2018
  • Tappecue is going for anyone interested!

• #54 by Bentley on 08 Apr 2018
  • The pit is set on Smoke, I forgot that.  And the best I can tell, that ranges from about 130-160°.  As we can see early on, the outer walls are warmer then the inner sweet spot, which is OK for now!  Lets see if that is the max for awhile...

• #55 by Bentley on 08 Apr 2018
  • I went out and sat through 5 up and down controller cycles.  I have revised my earlier post.  The range was 130°-160°.

• #56 by Bentley on 08 Apr 2018

• #57 by Bentley on 08 Apr 2018
  • I found out long ago that I was not into smoking cheese.  Not because it does not work, just that it needed to be parted into such small section to have enough smoke on the cheese.  I never saw a huge penetration! But to be honest, I don't think I have ever aged it.  That was the amount of ice left after appx 2 1/2 hours.  You can see in the close up it was starting to (or had been for awhile?) sweat!

Will see.  I will mark this to open on May 1st, my anniversary and see!

Pages:
Actions