Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Uuni 3 Pellet Fired Pizza Oven Member Funded Product Review  (Read 15113 times)

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana

Maybe I should drop down to lower hr and give it a whirl:).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You are correct that the information is all over the place even among the super pizza nerds on pizza making, and other sites. I have also used the forno bravo recipe with good results. I suspect that very few people or even restaurants are cooking to these specs. I also suspect that many websites even if they are familiar with this concept assume that most people won't be cooking at truly 900 degrees, and adjust their recipes to give some margin of error for the wide variety of equipment people will use to make the recipe.

The first person I remember talking about the specs I posted was jonathan goldsmith. He owns spacca Napoli in Chicago. Below is a yelp picture of his pies. Not a ton of spring in his edge. I've actually ate there before. Really good, but not blown away.

Here is one of mine that I did on the Blackstone at 900 and 62 hydration. I agree with you that you get more spring. Also, has some to do with prep.

If I remember correctly, there is a book called elements of pizza that gives a pretty good description of that sort of reverse logic on the hydration.

By the way I'm not trying to be controversial, or say you're wrong. I'm just pointing out that that school of thought exists. And to me makes sense once I wrapped my head around the concept.

In the large scope, who cares right? I'm guessing us home cooks aren't going to get a lot of push back from our family and friends if the dough is 58% hydrated versus 62%. Make what tastes the best to you.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 11:32:42 AM by Free Mr. Tony »

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck

This thread's a week old and I just read it and discovered that, although I eat restaurant pizza once-in-a-while, I don't know a thing about it.  I eat whatever they deliver to my table.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

lamrith

• Starting to taste the Smoke.

Thanks for the write up Bentley!!  I just read thru the testing thread. 
One thing to note to everyone.  Bentley mentioned fuel issues, and based on what he said it would bother me too having to top off all the time to make a couple pizzas.

There is light at the end of that tunnel.  Uuni has a propane attachment either already out, or on the way out so that it can be run off a tank.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry

I believe they prefer Mr. or Ms...super pizza nerd...

..even among the super pizza nerds on pizza making...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 02:22:49 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry

Video of homemade Rick Bayless flour tortilla being cooked and quesadilla being cooked coming very soon!

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
Re: Product Review of the Uuni 3 Pellet Fired Pizza Oven
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2018, 02:16:15 PM »

Recipe from "Authentic Mexican" by Rick Bayless for flour tortillas:

3/4 pound ( 2 3/4 cups) all-purpose flour, plus a little extra for rolling the tortillas
5 tablespoons lard or vegetable shortening, or a mixture of the two
3/4 teaspoon salt
About 3/4cup very warm tap water

Mix, kneed, let stand covered in 90g balls for 30 minutes then roll out.  Cook for 30 seconds on each side.  The recipe calls for medium to medium high heat, not 700°, so for the conditions, I feel like they came out OK.  It is not the way I would cook my tortillas.  You will have to ask the taste tester how they were.

Tortilla/Quesadilla Cook Video 8 minutes

« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 02:18:00 PM by Bentley »

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana

I believe the prefer Mr. or Ms...super pizza nerd...

..even among the super pizza nerds on pizza making...

Haha. I'm sure I sound like one too, but I am nothing compared to those guys over there. Pretty serious bunch.

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana

The first tortilla you made looked about perfect. The way it puffed up was great. The second one , you can see how much more heat is at the back of the oven versus the front. The back of the tortilla was perfectly puffed, and the front half barely looked like it had moved.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 02:57:36 PM by Free Mr. Tony »

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry

Sorry about the language...

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry

Very nice of you to say.  If taking the front of the Uuni off did not disturb the heat so much, you could just leave it off and do them like I did in the skillet!  More the way I like them, a bit more even and chewy!  Beef and bean burritos tonight!

The first tortilla you made looked about perfect.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry

Once again 4 ingredients and I am defeated...Those were arguable the worst tasting tortillas I have ever eaten...

Fire708

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Shelton!

Our local grocery store sells uncooked tortillas. I love em Cooked in a pan with a little butter.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog

is there a method to cool down the grill or do you just leave the chimney open and let it burn out?

how is that mesh table holding up to the heat from the grill?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry

I just let it burn out.  You could cook on a plastic table with this thing, the separation of the legs is plenty enough room for the heat to dissipate!

Will try and get those last couple of cooks in this weekend.  Prep for Brandy Station Lunch today and the event tomorrow has curtailed my activity today and tomorrow.  Will then have Kristin figure out when the drawing is and try and set up the webcam so folks can watch the random number being generated...I guess that is how the winner is being determined?

www.random.org

is there a method to cool down the grill or do you just leave the chimney open and let it burn out?

how is that mesh table holding up to the heat from the grill?

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry

The Naan.  It appears it is cooked in the tandoor or a tawa, which is much like the comal, which in turn is like a cast iron skillet, just thinner...So, not sure the Uuni stone will act like the inside of a tandoor, and also not sure I have anything to subsitute, much less can get it into the Uuni...

Again, I will try...

Edit: After looking at this video, it appears it will be exactly like the Uuni stone!  But mark my words, it is another simple ingredient dough and it will defeat me!

Hommie cooking Naan
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up