Here's How I.... > Cook Chicken/Turkey/Fowl

One Method for Competition Chicken

(1/3) > >>

Kristin Meredith:
I use chicken thighs for competitions and this is my method.

Prepare your thighs as you normally would -- i.e. trim, brine, use rub, etc. Do whatever you like to do to prepare and flavour the chicken before cooking.

Set your pellet pit so that your grill temp is 250* (some folks will go 275 to 300*, that may be a little high, but you might find that 250* is a little low, you will have to experiment). 

Place your chicken skin side up on the grill.  Cook for 1 hour.  Take your chicken off.  Put the chicken in a steam tray and pour a little sauce over each piece.  Cover tightly with aluminum foil, don't let any steam escape.  Cook for another hour at 250*

Take the chicken off.  You can spoon the juices from the pan over it again or dip in sauce.  I then put back on the grill at about 300* for 5 to 10 minutes.  This should give you bite through skin if that is important to you.

pmillen:
I know this produces attractive thighs.  I've seen photos of your turn-ins.

It also sounds delicious.  I rate thighs very high.

Quadman750:
Thanks for the tip, I will give this a try.

pz:
Sounds excellent, and simple enough even for me to have success  :clap:

Kristin Meredith:
For full disclosure, I believe both Trooper and Techmogogy(sp) cook better chicken (nicer look, better skin, moister) than I do.  Maybe one day one of them will share a secret or two!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View