Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Baby Back Ribs the Fast Eddy Way  (Read 8023 times)

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Baby Back Ribs the Fast Eddy Way
« on: August 30, 2017, 02:54:26 PM »

Fast Eddy’s Rib Rub recipe and step by step instructions for baby back ribs was available at their web site.  That original recipe has been removed and replaced with this one http://www.cookshack.com/store/Pork-CS-Recipes/Cookshack-Smoked-Baby-Back-Ribs which may be intended for their cabinet smokers.

Not to worry, here's the original PG500/1000 recipe as I captured it in 2013.

Ingredients
3 slabs baby back ribs
½ cup white sugar
¼ cup Hungarian paprika
¼ cup Lawry’s seasoning salt
2 tablespoons garlic salt
1 tablespoons allspice
1 tablespoons cumin
1 tablespoons onion salt
1 tablespoons fresh coarse ground black pepper
1 teaspoon of celery seed
1 cup brown sugar

Rib Glaze
18-oz bottle of KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce
½ cup of honey
1 cup of purified water

Instructions
1.  Peel the membrane off the back side of the ribs.
2.  Rub the slabs with brown sugar and refrigerate overnight.
3.  Mix all the rub ingredients together in a mixing bowl and then rub ribs 30 minutes before smoking.
4.  Place ribs in PG-500 zone 4 at 275 degrees for about 3 hrs.
5.  Mix ingredients of glaze together and put in a foil pan when you put the ribs in and place in smoker, also for 3 hrs.
6.  Cook ribs till the meat starts to separate when picked up in the middle of the rack.
7.  Brush glaze on both sides of ribs and allow to set in smoker for another 10 minutes.

EDIT:  Comments should probably go in the Here's How I Cook Pork section.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 02:59:00 PM by pmillen »
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Re: Baby Back Ribs the Fast Eddy Way
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 07:33:33 PM »

I think the original version is still on their site:  http://www.cookshack.com/store/Pork-CS-Recipes/Fast-Eddys-Rib-Rub

ICIdaho

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 04:10:03 PM »

You are a rib saver. I just had the recipe bookmarked and it is not the same anymore.  Did a google search and what do you know, pelletfan came up with the original recipe.  :cool:
Don’t know why I did not check here first.

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 06:35:57 PM »

I think the original version is still on their site:  http://www.cookshack.com/store/Pork-CS-Recipes/Fast-Eddys-Rib-Rub

When I posted that link it was to the original recipe, but the link now redirects to a different page. 

triplebq

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 08:10:27 PM »

Great looking ribs  :lick:
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

riverrat49

• "If all else Fails call it Burnt Endz" Spokane, WA
    • G-Pa D's BBQ Team
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 10:45:53 AM »

For those using GMG's and other center fire-pot pellet smokers unless your cooking on a second shelf at the very least I recommend you do not use the overnight brown sugar on the Bone side of your ribs... 
World Food Championship Culinary Team- 2016, 2017, 2018 Taste of America Challenge Champion- 2016/2018 World Food Championship Judge Competition Pitmaster/ Certified BBQ Judge

ICIdaho

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 06:14:46 PM »

For those using GMG's and other center fire-pot pellet smokers unless your cooking on a second shelf at the very least I recommend you do not use the overnight brown sugar on the Bone side of your ribs...

Hi

New to the GMG ...can I ask why.

Thank you

The sugar burns.  I have a GMG also, and only did the brown sugar thing on my first try.  They taste great without it.  The Fast Eddy cookers are truly indirect heat with a different set up, so no fire pot under allows for them to be able to do this.  Fire pots directly under just produce a little to much direct heat for that.

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 07:28:37 PM »

When this subject was discussed at length on the PH site, I decided to give it a try. After several hours at 275° the ribs were burnt to the point that they were throw away.  >:(
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 09:01:44 PM »

I've never had that burnt sugar issue on the Memphis or MAK.  Not sure I did on the Traeger either.  I did notice my Blazn gets really hot if there is grease on the drip pan.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

dclord

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 10:15:59 PM »

When this subject was discussed at length on the PH site, I decided to give it a try. After several hours at 275° the ribs were burnt to the point that they were throw away.  >:(
3 hours at 275 works great for spare ribs, but I can't imagine leaving back ribs on that long at that temperature.  OK I can imagine it but not in a good way.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

riverrat49

• "If all else Fails call it Burnt Endz" Spokane, WA
    • G-Pa D's BBQ Team
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 06:29:56 AM »

The Brown sugar tends to over caramelize, I used this method a number of times and even posted this same basic info on the "Other Site" (Whose name I won't mention) but it's up to you, give it a go your results might be different and that's the whole fun of using new methods or recipes... BTW welcome to the GMG Family my JB is a dedicated Competition/Catering Smoker,
 I also have a DB and DC.

Hi

New to the GMG ...can I ask why.

Thank you
World Food Championship Culinary Team- 2016, 2017, 2018 Taste of America Challenge Champion- 2016/2018 World Food Championship Judge Competition Pitmaster/ Certified BBQ Judge

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 10:35:46 AM »

All sugars begin to burn at 350°F.  So, it appears to me that reports of burned sugars might be a case of the pits being well above the recommended 275°F.

I don’t want to sound critical of technique or demean any pit’s temperature control but I don’t see any other explanation for the burned sugar.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 11:23:18 AM »

All sugars begin to burn at 350°F.  So, it appears to me that reports of burned sugars might be a case of the pits being well above the recommended 275°F.

I don’t want to sound critical of technique or demean any pit’s temperature control but I don’t see any other explanation for the burned sugar.

Kinda my thoughts to regarding pit temps
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

ICIdaho

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 07:48:27 PM »

I use oven therms at grate level when cooking ribs and they read 275. I would not say they taste charred, but it made them very dark and hard on the bottom.  I also cook the larger St. Louis ribs which also take longer.   That being said, not all sugars are at 350. Fructose is 230 and most are at 320 with Maltose being at 350.  Each sugar decomposes as they cook and they change to a different kind and will carmelize at different temps. You also have the maillard reaction that occurs between the sugars and proteins that increases darkness.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 07:55:16 PM by ICIdaho »

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 09:30:21 PM »

I always thought sugar started to burn at 265°, must be confusing it with how high Sarin-wrap can go...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 02:13:36 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up