Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Chashub on 24 Apr 2018
  • Has anyone ever used their hot gasser to clean the gunk off of their grates?
  • #2 by Canadian John on 24 Apr 2018

•  Not in my case. The Memphis Pro maxes out @ 650º which is well above self cleaning mode..For a cold smoker, or to save on pellets, the gasser idea should work well... 
  • #3 by TechMOGogy on 24 Apr 2018
  • I just cleaned my gasser
    For the grates I went to Google and it said
    6 cups vinegar
    6 cups ammonia
    plus some baking soda
    mix it all in a black garbage bag
    put grates in and leave in sun for 12-24 hours

I pulled mine after 6 hours, knowing that it was a waste of time.
    Lightly brushed them with a SS brush and was SHOCKED - they are like new.
    These grates had not been cleaned in 3 years (other than brushing before cooking each time)
    Should work fine for smoker grates too - just hose off after
    Going to use this same trick on the new to me Yoder

• #4 by Chris__M on 24 Apr 2018
  • Once a year I give my grates a clean with a commercial oven shelf cleaner pack - consisting of plastic bag into which the grates go, with a large bottle of caustic solution. The instructions say 6 hours minimum, but I leave for 24 hours, and then hose down, and all the gunk just falls off.

The reason I do this is that the grills tend not to be used for 3-4 months during the winter, and although I try to keep them clean, there is frequently some growth by springtime. The rest of the year, I am generally cooking frequently enough for this not to be an issue.

This year, I used two packs of cleaner - one had the grates from my Traeger and GMG, the other was used to clean the grease trays. Came up brilliantly - I wouldn't say "shiny", but definitely clean.
  • #5 by okie smokie on 24 Apr 2018
    6 cups vinegar
    6 cups ammonia
    plus some baking soda

These grates had not been cleaned in 3 years (other than brushing before cooking each time)

Bet that stuff will kill anything it touches.  How do you dispose of the liquid?  Need a gas mask?   ???
  • #6 by Dave R. on 12 May 2018
    6 cups vinegar
    6 cups ammonia
    plus some baking soda

Bet that stuff will kill anything it touches.  How do you dispose of the liquid?  Need a gas mask?   ???

I think one way might be to run it through a weed sprayer. Should do the weeds in and at the same time dispersing the formula over a larger area. Taking care not to let it touch the lawn.
  • #7 by cookingjnj on 12 May 2018
  • I have used my gasser to "clean" my grates and it has worked well.  Might look into trying TechMOGogy's recipe for both my smoker and my gasser grates.  They came out like brand new, although lose the seasoning when that clean.
  • #8 by ArborAgent on 12 May 2018
  • I clean the grates of my pellet grill in my gasser all the time. Works great!
Pages:
Actions