Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Big Green Egg owner looking to switch  (Read 1825 times)

bmwhitetx

Re: Big Green Egg owner looking to switch
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2018, 01:26:29 PM »

Have you ever tasted food cooked on a pellet unit?

No I haven't and that's why the trepidation on my part. My friends that bbq all have eggs but of course eggheads are a vocal group. May have silent pelletheads out there. I'll ask around.

I do like the smoke profile I get. Did two Papa Murphy pizzas last night on the BGE and turned out very flavorful - once I got the fire and pizza stone stabilized - which took almost an hour.

Lots of great feedback so far. Looks like I'll strike the Rectec due to height. Need to look at some of the others you guys mentioned. That Blaz'n looks really nice but no price info online I could see. Need to see what local dealers are (I'm in the Dallas area). Thanks!

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2018, 03:35:45 PM »

It is Bully for Me Teddy!

I did not take Physics in HS or College.  I believe the max setting on your Yoder is 600°?  How does a piece of metal get hotter then the setting of the controller?  You said you don't use a sear kit.  Which I am then assuming you have your diffuser and grease try in the unit, like my Whole Hog, Memphis Pro and PG 500 did.

How do you defy the laws of physics and get your GG 300°+ hotter?  What am I not understanding?

I’ve seen 915 on my grill grates on the yoder...

Bully for you...Yoder doesnt require a grill conversion kit either, unless you are referring to GG as a kit?  I was simply stating that only a few pellet grills can actually sear on par with a kamado over lump.  Near as I can tell, there might be 3-4 at most
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 03:40:08 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Wingtcoach

Big Green Egg owner looking to switch
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2018, 03:07:03 PM »

I just purchased a q450 for the exact same reason as the OP. I love my egg but feel like I never use it due to time constraints of starting etc. I’ve had it about 7 years. I’m doing a butt on my q450 tonight so for me that will be a good test if I go ahead and sale the egg. I don’t need both. I think on the FireCraft you have 30 days to return no questions asked. While it would be a PITA to return I’d do it if I feel the food is inferior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gwilliams99

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2018, 03:34:17 PM »

I have a large Big Green Egg and a Cookshack FEC 120. I would like to get something that can do direct sear in a pellet fired unit.
The Egg does a good job with direct, but I hate having to use the lump charcoal. The Egg only cooks right when the lump charcoal is fairly large pieces, unfortunately the bottom 1/3 of the charcoal bags are generally broken up into pieces that are less than optimal for use in the egg. Smaller pieces are fine for lower temp cooks, but not for steaks.

I would like to be completely out of the charcoal cooking at some point.
I'm leaning toward a Memphis grill of a Fast Eddy PG 1000. 

Phrett

• Using less gas.
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2018, 01:47:58 PM »

I yhad a GMG DB for several years and my wife wanted a BGE and we ended up with the XL.  It was way too big for the two of us so Isold it and we got a medium BGE.  I used a Rocks Stoker for temp control at lower heats/  It cooked wondefully and using Cowboy lump gave it a nice flavor.  Pizza, steaks, pies, brissket, ribs, etc. were excellent.  Most of the time I still usewd the GMG for low and slow.  The BGE was too much work to light, clean, preheat, etc.  I sold that BGE after building a UDS and adding a fan for the Stolker.  I worked as well as the BGE for everything except high heat cooks.  For burgers and brats I used my little Weber Q gasser od Lodge cast iron Sportsman grill.

My wife had cooked our brat lunch at the Royal a few times and used a Memphis Pro.  When she retired a few years ago that was what she wanted for a retirement gift and we purchased one.    It is hands down better than the BGE and does eveerything from jerky to steaks with no fussing or mess.  Sears at high heat, cooks burgers as fast as the gasser, and does low and slow with precise temps and times.  I've cooked on many brands of pellet grills and the Pro is the best for me.  Well worth the cost.
Memphis Pro GMG DC Electric vertical smoker Blues, booze and BBQ

silverbullet

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I thought my House was Child Proof then one got in
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2018, 10:48:16 PM »

I've never owned an EGG or had the desire to. I've had plenty kettles & gassers over the years. Got tired of burning out a gasser every 2 years so in 2008 I bought a Traeger LiL Tex & the addiction was on. Then went to a GMG Jim Bowie, GMG Davy Crockett & recently a Louisiana LG800 Elite. I also still won't part with the GMG DC, Its one mean LiL Cooker & goes with us every time in the camper

I'm pretty new to the LG 800 Elite from what I've seen of it so far its going to the best pellet grill I've owned. It holds temps well, evenly across the grates. I'm intrigued with the flame zone cooking this has to offer. Still experimenting with good results. https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=1823.0

There's plenty of choices out there today. Lots more than there was 10 years ago. I know I couldn't justify the price of a high end pit to my bride so I stay in the lower to middle of the road.

Good luck with your choice! I do know you will like the ease of use over an EGG.
GMG DC Camp Chef WW24

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2018, 08:31:37 AM »

I just purchased a q450 for the exact same reason as the OP. I love my egg but feel like I never use it due to time constraints of starting etc. I’ve had it about 7 years. I’m doing a butt on my q450 tonight so for me that will be a good test if I go ahead and sale the egg. I don’t need both. I think on the FireCraft you have 30 days to return no questions asked. While it would be a PITA to return I’d do it if I feel the food is inferior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So how did our butt turn out?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up