Pit Talk -- Comments and Questions Regarding These Pellet Pits > Which Pit Should I Choose?

Things to Consider in a New Pit Purchase

(1/5) > >>

Canadian John:
 Hopefully we can help someone with their purchasing decision of a new pit..I'll start:

-Cost..cheaper pits can ending up costing more.
 -Dealer. Help and warranty.
 -Replacement parts. Cost and availability.
 -Finish. Paint. Powder coat Porcelain.Stainless..Consider rusting.
 -Material(s). Mild steel. Stainless steel..            "             "
 -Looks. Does it appeal?
 -Maintenance, repair and servicing. How easy is it to get at and maintain things?
 -Have design/quality problems been resolved by the manufacturer?
 -Features. Wi fi. Direct flame cooking. Accessories such as external shelving and internal racks.
 -The manufacturer. Being able to get questions answered and suggestions from the manufacturer and not being brushed off is paramount..Parts, as most dealers carry the minimum.

There is more..Feel free to add.

Bar-B-Lew:
I would put the manufacturer support at the top of my list.  If they do not have quick responsiveness, I would write them off the list.

A charcoal grill really has no parts that can fail without someone seeing your grill has been falling apart well in advance.  A gas grill is pretty similar in that the burners may go, but you can tell that pretty far in advance.  Either of those, you can usually feel close to 100% confident that you are going to turn it on and it will run and get the meal cooked (unless you are out of charcoal or propane but I see that as your own fault not the equipment ;D).  It is much different when you have people coming over to impress with your great BBQ skills, and your controller quits or the auger is jammed or something mechanical or electrical goes wrong with your grill.  Having someone to call and get a quick fix is important at that moment in time.

A forum like this is a great place to get insight on issues other people already have had.  If 10 people on here have had the same problem regardless of how well the manufacturer did in resolving it, I would be concerned about buying that piece of equipment.

A pellet grill has become like a car.  When you turn it on, you expect it to run flawlessly.  Unless of course, you have made some sort of mistake like I have on several occasions.

W6YJ:
Drop feed - no auger fires.
Pellet clean out.

Conumdrum:
Yoder.  Done. :D

Old Smokey:

--- Quote from: sschorr on February 08, 2018, 05:34:46 PM ---I would add:

- Type of controller.  PID or timing based, ability to adjust firmware settings, number of probes controller handles
- Hopper capacity
- Mobility:  wheels, casters, fixed legs, and/or portable

--- End quote ---

^^^ This.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View