Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Michael_NW on 08 Feb 2018
  • I was at our local grocery last Sunday and they had stocked up beef ribs, probably thinking they would be popular for those cooking food for their Super Bowl parties. I was surprised at how little meat was actually on those ribs.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

There's a lot of white showing! Some of it is fat, but most of it is hard bone.
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 08 Feb 2018
  • I bought 2 or 3 racks like that for $5 each a few years ago at a local store.  Never again.  Nothing left to eat after they finished cooking.
  • #3 by triplebq on 08 Feb 2018
  • #4 by triplebq on 08 Feb 2018

• Ribs I got from Sam's
  • #5 by Kristin Meredith on 09 Feb 2018
  • Wow those are nice beef ribs.  We sure can't find them at local groceries, Costco or RD that look like that.  And it is one of the few bbq meats I still love, so I am envious!!!
  • #6 by triplebq on 09 Feb 2018
  • I just picked these up from RD a couple weeks ago. The bones aren't quite as long but nice amount of meat.

• #7 by jdmessner on 09 Feb 2018
  • I was surprised at how little meat was actually on those ribs.
    There's a lot of white showing! Some of it is fat, but most of it is hard bone.

Reminds me of the old Wendy's comercial: "Where's the Beef?" I have several packages just like that in the freezer. They were donated for our community dinner. I don't know what to do with them. There's a lot of bones and only a little meat. I may use them for beef stock and make soup. Open to othe ideas.

• #8 by dk117 on 09 Feb 2018
  • Mike if you figure this out please let me know.  I think we're both up here in SW Washington.  I've yet to source consistent meaty beef ribs.   I get them once a year on work trips to Dallas, it's my favorite BBQ and cannot produce it at home.

DK
    • dk117
  • #9 by Conumdrum on 09 Feb 2018
  • If you can find a place that sells Korean Kalbi Short ribs in packs, ask the butcher if he can sell you them unsliced.  They are plate ribs which are the best ones.  I asked the butcher a while back and he said sure!  I got a 5 lb slab I think and it was well over $30, and that's military commissary prices. 

The ribs I got looked just like triplebq's pic, but probably not as good tasting. 
  • #10 by GrillinGlen on 09 Feb 2018
  • I made some for the first time ever a few months ago, ones that had little meat on them.  The flavor and texture was amazing, but had to eat 6 ribs for a mouthful.  Haven't had any success finding meaty ones, think I will have to see if I can order some through a butcher.
  • #11 by rughead on 09 Feb 2018
  • Can I get some smoke/cook procedures you all have been using?
    I have had some in the freezer but don't want to ruin them. Been dying
    to make them.
    Thank you.   :bbq:
  • #12 by TechMOGogy on 09 Feb 2018
  • Key is to ask for PLATE ribs - those are the ones that are like a steak on a stick!
    should be 3 bones in plate cut rib section.
    If there are more bones then your buying chuck
    Best bet is to get plate ribs from a butcher.
    three-little-pigs-bbq.com/help-i-need-to-know-what-cut-of-beef-ribs-to-tell-my-butcher/
  • #13 by Bar-B-Lew on 09 Feb 2018
    to make them.

I've smoked them until they are probe tender like a brisket.
  • #14 by triplebq on 09 Feb 2018
    to make them.

I posted a cook I did a while back: https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=405.0. I included my steps in the post.
  • #15 by Bentley on 09 Feb 2018
  • Yes, the ribs in your photo are "fingered".  RD used to have a Beef Back Rib, the Superior Choice Angus, they were wonderful.  The ones triplebq have are a Chuck, others have mentioned Short or Plate, which are very meaty, but just not the same flavor as a Beef Back Rib for my taste. 

Seems the only way to get a meaty beef Back is to by a bone on Rib Roast and bone it yourself.

Pages:
Actions