Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2016 2 Star For Sale, Maybe  (Read 4098 times)

rwalters

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
Re: 2016 2 Star For Sale, Maybe
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2018, 07:25:28 PM »

In that case, here are my questions/comments that I sent to Bar-B-Lew:

With MAK’s new Funnel Flame Zone, the cooking surface gets HOT. I am very pleased with my MAK as a grill, it’s just the screaming hot searing where it struggles. I usually use my kettle when I need to cook HOT HOT HOT!!! In your opinion, would a Memphis Elite be able to replace a 2 Star and kettle? That’s what I sometimes wonder.

Is 500°+ necessary for anything other then searing? Normally, no.  My experience has been this... 450° on my MAK, even with the Flame Zone covers removed, is not the same as 450° over a lump charcoal fire. The radiant heat is much less intense on the MAK and therefore results is a less intense grilling session. The end result is less Maillard reaction/slight charring...something my (and my family’s) tastebuds crave.

Again, don’t misunderstand me, I absolutely love my MAK, I just wish it was a bit stronger for the higher heat cooks. To be fair, I normally grill at 425-450°... perhaps kicking it up to the ‘Grill’ setting would give me what I am looking for...? I’m just weird in that I don’t like taking my cookers up to their max settings as I somehow think I am stressing them out...lol (weird, I know).

Now, with the Memphis, if loading down the grate with food that you are going to grill, you are obviously going to do the cook at a higher temp BUT completely indirect vs the MAKs open Flame Zone. The MAK is better designed for closed lid grilling lMO, but the Memphis can get hotter. Perhaps I’d get the same results running the Memphis at 550° as I do running the MAK at 450°... the difference being the radiant heat is more intense on the MAK with the open Flame Zone.  What’s your experience been?

Appreciate you helping me think this through :)

PS: Perhaps we can both learn a thing or two from Bar-B-Lew :)

rwalters

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2018, 07:26:35 PM »

Patiently awaiting Bar-B-Lews reply...

Goosehunter51

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2018, 07:35:40 PM »

Great question.
Smokin like a two stack MAK come on!  MAK 2 Star General #3053

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2018, 08:22:30 PM »

I know the Advantage, Pro, and Elite can Grill!

That I have proof of off my Pro!  And I do not have the Flame Zone, or what ever the terminology is for their open flame insert is.  The reason why I do not need a gas, Weber or Egg unit in my home!  Just 100% hardwood cook, when I choose to use it!

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

rwalters

2016 2 Star For Sale, Maybe
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2018, 08:35:22 PM »

I know the Advantage, Pro, and Elite can Grill!

That I have proof of off my Pro!  And I do not have the Flame Zone, or what ever the terminology is for their open flame insert is.  The reason why I do not need a gas, Weber or Egg unit in my home!  Just 100% hardwood cook, when I choose to use it!

Nice!! What temp do you typically set your Memphis to in order to achieve the results shown in your pics?  Also, are you cooking on the stock Memphis grate, or is that with GrillGrates?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 08:42:56 PM by rwalters »

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2018, 08:43:17 PM »

All of those were set at 650°, but as you have stated, I have learned that 600°, even 575° will do the same.  650° now is reserved for when you just want an over the top char!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2018, 09:44:54 PM »

Look guys, I have the Elite and the MAK 2.  I have bought grillgrates years ago, but have not used them yet.  Lotsa folks on here and on PH have good things to say about them.

If I were you, I would buy grillgrates and crank up the MAK to high and see if you get the results you want.  If you don't, you still spent less than you will lose selling your MAK.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2018, 09:51:06 PM »

Sorry did not see the question about GG...3 photos, just Memphis Pro grates, Pork Loin with GG!  And the more I think about the Pork loin, I must apologize for it, pretty sure it was on the Daniel Boone with the GG and that would have been just over 500°!

Goosehunter51

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2018, 10:28:44 PM »

Look guys, I have the Elite and the MAK 2.  I have bought grillgrates years ago, but have not used them yet.  Lotsa folks on here and on PH have good things to say about them.

If I were you, I would buy grillgrates and crank up the MAK to high and see if you get the results you want.  If you don't, you still spent less than you will lose selling your MAK.

Wow you have the Elite and the MAK 2.  As to the GG I just see them as something else to clean and store.  Maybe I need both grills also, probably overkill.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2018, 10:34:14 PM »

Wow you have the Elite and the MAK 2.  As to the GG I just see them as something else to clean and store.  Maybe I need both grills also, probably overkill.

Well, I thought I was an abnormal member of the forum, but many others have more than one pellet grill on here.

I have the Elite, MAK 2, Traeger XL, and a Blazn Grand Slam for many reasons.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Goosehunter51

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2018, 10:38:42 PM »

One lucky dude, Are you single?

My attempt at humor, not asking you on a date.  As that would be awkward.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2018, 10:51:17 PM »

One lucky dude, Are you single?

My attempt at humor, not asking you on a date.  As that would be awkward.

I have been married for 20 years.  My wife knows where my passions lie and supports them.  I have been very open with her regarding my expectations of how our partnership should work.  She has been very accepting of that.  I work, she doesn't.  Rules were established when she decided not to work any longer.  She accepted those rules.  I think they are very favorable to her.  Others may not.  Doesn't matter.  We agreed to them and it works for us.  End of story...I buy what I want when I want as long as it does not interfere with our long term financial goals.

When I die, I want to come back to life as her or our dog because they live a better life day to day than I do and I believe she would agree with my assessment.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up