Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by silverbullet on 09 Feb 2018
  • Its been really really cold here this past week, its been no fun to be outside, I'm gonna write up a review on this pit as I go....as it warms up here in Central Wisconsin,

First off the fit & finish of this pit is very, very nice! The stainless look is very attractive & everything lines up very well. Its very impressive. The grates are heavy duty coated cast iron. Some like them some don't as I cook on them we'll see how it goes.

https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=1760.0

The one downside I've found so far is Louisiana doesn't make a hopper extension for this unit. You would think one size fits all, Not the case with the 800. I found this out after the purchase. Not that it would of been a deal breaker, Yet with just a 12 lb hopper I may have to get up and add pellets during a winter overnighter.

• #2 by silverbullet on 09 Feb 2018
  • Tonight & experimented with the flame zone, The closest I've cooked in a flame zone was on a first year GMG with the small holes on the driptray that clogged easily. It's just not like the flame zone here.

I cranked it to 550 let it sit & get the grates good & hot. It was only about 10 degrees outside.

Out a couple pork steaks on I had the freezer. One side on one got a little done I probably should of flipped it sooner so chalk one up to operator error. The good thing about this is that's exactly how my Bride likes her grilled meat. The flame kissed pork steaks were a huge hit! they were both very good. The only seasoning I used was Garlic Salt & Lawry's seasoning salt.
    I'm going to have to experiment more with different temps.

• #3 by silverbullet on 10 Feb 2018
  • Louisiana calls this thing a safety screen. It came off the grill today as you could not change out pellets & it was a pain pushing the pellets down,

• #4 by BigDave83 on 11 Feb 2018
  • those pork steaks look pretty good
  • #5 by silverbullet on 11 Feb 2018
  • I put together a meatloaf with ground beef & pork, Bacon, onion garlic, cheese, a couple eggs & a sack of meatloaf seasoning. I'm not one to get to upset about uneven temps across the grates I learned to work with what I have. Temps across the grates are impressively close. I don't have to rotate my meat like I've had to do on my previous pits. In learning my pit I wanted to see what how far the meat probe was off to the Thermopen. To my surprise it was dead on!

• #6 by Bentley on 11 Feb 2018
  • Cant figure out how everyone gets their bacon to cook so well in situations like this...
  • #7 by Bar-B-Lew on 11 Feb 2018
  • Cant figure out how everyone gets their bacon to cook so well in situations like this...

maybe a thin cut bacon
  • #8 by Free Mr. Tony on 11 Feb 2018
  • I figured out my sweet spot for the open flame is a 350 grill setting. Nice hot flame, but it doesn't shoot up through the grates like the higher settings. It's also good for starting or finishing indirect. Grill until marked up like you like, then move over to the indirect side. Finishes cooking, or keeps things warm.

Cant figure out how everyone gets their bacon to cook so well in situations like this...

What temp do you cook at? Low is the way to go to me. Looks like he's cooking around 225. That's where I do my abts. The pepper gets soft magically at the same time the bacon gets crisp.

As stated above, the thin cut helps as well.
  • #9 by silverbullet on 11 Feb 2018
  • It was thin cut bacon & I did cook the meatloaf @225. The bacon I precooked here,
    https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=1793.0 On the griddle I started @ 350 & didn't like how it was cooking so I put it up to 400 and all was good. I precooked some bacon to mix in the meatloaf.
Pages:
Actions