Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Chashub on 11 Feb 2018
  • I was looking online for a pizza stone. I came across a site that said a non-glazed ceramic tile can be used. Much cheaper! Thoughts?
    Charlie
  • #2 by Darwin on 11 Feb 2018
  • They are very popular with the artisan bread community.  They absorb heat well and help to produce steam if your going for a crusty loaf of sourdough.  I haven't been able to find them locally so I am no real help.  I use a store bought round pizza stone, not sure what it's made of but I like it.  The bread forums will have more information.
  • #3 by Bar-B-Lew on 11 Feb 2018
  • I was looking online for a pizza stone. I came across a site that said a non-glazed ceramic tile can be used. Much cheaper! Thoughts?
    Charlie

I think Bentley used to use something like that
  • #4 by ylr on 11 Feb 2018
    Charlie

If I recall, it cracked down the middle....... ::)
  • #5 by ArborAgent on 11 Feb 2018
  • I’m a big fan of a baking steel instead of a stone. If you google “diy baking steel” there are good instructions on how to make one. Or you can easily buy one off of amazon.
  • #6 by Mudflap on 11 Feb 2018
    Charlie

If I recall, it cracked down the middle....... ::)

I got about 5 cooks on mine before it cracked

Mudflap
  • #7 by Darwin on 11 Feb 2018
  • With the unglazed quarry tiles if one breaks you just replace it.  They usually are 6" x 6" and inexpensive.  A home oven shelf is about 16" x 24" so 6 should be sufficient for most needs.
  • #8 by Osborn Cox on 11 Feb 2018
  • I’ll second the baking steel, haven’t used my stone in over 2 years.
  • #9 by Th3Batman86 on 12 Feb 2018
  • I third the steel. I got one off amazon called dough joe that I like a lot. But I notice there is an “amazon choice” one for $22.
  • #10 by Canadian John on 12 Feb 2018

•  Lodge Cast Iron pizza pan here.  See: : Lodge cast Iron Cookware..

Ceramic stones are both thermo and shock sensitive.. The thin 1/2", are very prone to breakage..The " quality " of the stone plays a major part in its durability. :2cents:
  • #11 by wilpark on 12 Feb 2018
  • can kiln tiles be used as well.  some are 3/4" thick and are relatively cheap
  • #12 by Canadian John on 12 Feb 2018
  •  I have heard of it being done. For the cost, why not..Just make sure they are clean and DRY..I would do a burn off on anything ceramic prior to its first use.
  • #13 by pmillen on 12 Feb 2018
    Charlie

I was convinced that Bentley's was porcelain.  He held to the view that it was ceramic.
  • #14 by LowSlowJoe on 12 Feb 2018
  • I like my steel too...  custom cut, round , cold rolled steel , from a local steel supplier, delivered to my door.  Won't ever crack that's for sure... but not exactly cheap either. Mine is 15" diameter, could have had a 15x15" square for the same price, since they effectively just cut the corners off to make mine round. Cheaper then a hunk of steel sold as a baking steel, but not as cheap as un-glazed tile... 

Some say steel cooks better... but from what I know, how well something cooks is subject to some personal bias... also depends on how your using it... or how much heat you have on top, vs how much is coming from the bottom.    I could cook on either, but prefer the steel just because of it's durability.
  • #15 by Bentley on 12 Feb 2018
  • I have no idea what the difference is?  I though it was mud that was fired? 

I had a 18 x 18 from Home Depot ($2), what I call a floor tile, and then a 1 inch thick piece of Marble (remnant $12) from a shop in Pasadena.  Both broke...That marble one was sweet!

I was looking online for a pizza stone. I came across a site that said a non-glazed ceramic tile can be used. Much cheaper! Thoughts?
    Charlie

I was convinced that Bentley's was porcelain.  He held to the view that it was ceramic.

Pages:
Actions