Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Rec Tec Stampede RT 590  (Read 19109 times)

Ralphie

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Rec Tec Stampede RT 590
« on: February 11, 2018, 04:24:19 PM »

I think I’m going to order the new Rec Tec Stampede this week. Anybody have a reason to talk me out of it?
Rec Tec Stampede RT-590  40 going on 13

Ralphie

Re: Rec Tec Stampede RT 590
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 01:42:49 PM »

The Rec Tec Stampede is ordered!  But man, it ships in May.  Gonna be a loooooong 3 months.  In the meantime, I also ordered a Blazn Grillworks Smoker Pro box to have fun with while I wait.  But now I get to go buy a blow torch!  Such a great day. 

bmwhitetx

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 04:42:18 PM »

I think I’m going to order the new Rec Tec Stampede this week. Anybody have a reason to talk me out of it?
There are a lot of things to like about this grill. Lots of stainless, included wi-fi, large grate, large hopper. The two cons for me were no removable insert for an easy direct grill option (like the Firecraft and Yoder) and only 9-inch clearance. I do a 20 lb turkey in a roasting pan and don't think it would fit. Otherwise looks like a great setup for everything else!

LowSlowJoe

• Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 08:54:00 AM »

I think it's a good looking grill...  Pricing is pretty reasonable... only time will tell if it's newer octagon design really gives more space inside or not....

Yoder pricing is such, that it's almost pointless to compare a Stampede to any of the Yoders...

If you want to compare Q450 to it, that's a bit more reasonable... but then, Q450's main grate is just 24x19", compared to 29.75x19.75" of the Stampede...   

In terms of the Stampedes headroom..  that 9"... compare that to any more traditional 20" barrel design, which yields about 9.5" of headroom at the very center of the grill... With the Stampede, that loss of 1/2" apparently is only at the very center of the grate, on either side of that lip ( that's apparently there to give that long horizontal surface some additional support )... one could argue that there's more room in the Stampede than any 20" barrel shaped design...      FYI I fit a 18 pound turkey in a Traeger Junior and it's only got about 7.5" of headroom right at the center, so I doubt there'd be a problem getting a 20 pound turkey in a Stampede... heck you could probably get two of them in there.

With Wifi, all it's stainless and $900 price ( shipped )...  I am betting that the Stampede will become Rec Tec's biggest seller.
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

Ralphie

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 11:03:55 AM »

My decision ultimately came down to the RT590 Stampede and the Firecraft 450.  More specifically, direct flame insert vs more cooking surface.  But I know my cooking habits and preferences, which means I'll be using the unit for low and slow or indirect cooking more than 90% of the time, often for entertaining.  So I opted for more cooking surface.  And honestly, I was a little enamored with the RT590 stylistically. 

Either way, I'm sure both would make me more than happy.  But when the day comes that my budget will allow it, I see myself getting a PG500 or similar.

As for the turkey issue, if needed, I'll just throw two 14 pounders in there and call it a day!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 11:06:42 AM by Ralphie »

Jeff Mc

• Lurker
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 07:01:10 PM »

I just pulled the trigger on one also Ralphie. After a lot of thought and research I have decided the 590 is best for me.
For just my wife and I, maybe a few friends and neighbors, looks like the perfect size. RecTec knows what they are doing and I think this model will be a home run. Well worth the wait.

This will be my first pellet grill as I am coming from a Camp Chef Smoke Vault which I love by the way.

Oh, yea just joined this forum to soak up as much knowledge as I can. So Thanks to everyone

Ross77

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 08:09:15 PM »

Make sure you post some pics.  Seems like RecTec hit the sweet spot with the size and price on the Stampede.

Did you get the SS smoke vents?
Rec Tec RT-680 Char-Broil Patio Bistro  MES: Sold WSM: Sold

Ralphie

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 05:18:20 PM »

Yes, I bought the SS smoke vents.  For the Stampede, it's a set of 3 for $24.95.

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 09:02:05 AM »

Waiting to see how this new pit works out.. One thing for sure, Rec Tec isn't in a stagnant design mode.

Jeff Mc

• Lurker
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 07:34:14 PM »

I did not buy the smoke vents maybe I should since they are not that much. Are there better grills out there, of course but I would get divorced spending 2000 to 3000 on a cooker thats insane.

Ross77

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2018, 10:20:44 PM »

The vents would allow you to operate the smoker in the rain without it getting inside.
Rec Tec RT-680 Char-Broil Patio Bistro  MES: Sold WSM: Sold

Canadian John

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 09:43:38 AM »

The vent covers (all wether smoke vents) may end up being more important than thought as they should help reduce water entry if the pit is left uncovered.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2018, 10:33:41 PM »

My name is Anthony, and i purchased the rt 590 stampede. I read some of the posts and all i can say is the best way to pass the time while we wait for our grills, is there is a ton of youtube videos to see and learn from. Like the best pellets to use, the correct temps for different times of the cook.

Welcome Anthony.  Or you can pass the time by tapping into the wealth of knowledge on this forum from a great group of Rec Tec owners specifically and knowledgeable and experienced pellet pit owners in general.  You can pose those questions about pellets to use and temps for different cooks right in this board and received some great replies.

Canadian John

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 10:51:49 AM »

My name is Anthony, and i purchased the rt 590 stampede. I read some of the posts and all i can say is the best way to pass the time while we wait for our grills, is there is a ton of youtube videos to see and learn from. Like the best pellets to use, the correct temps for different times of the cook. 
Another welcome Anthony! The wait should be well worth it:new pit and better weather.

Ralphie

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2018, 04:38:12 PM »

Just passed the 2 month mark on waiting for the Stampede.   Not easy.  I've been collecting recipes and stockpiling meat in the deep freezer.  I have 2 whole packer corned beef briskets (for pastrami), a tri tip roast, a turkey, a few chickens, and a whole packer prime brisket waiting to be smoked. 
It's going to be a fun summer....but a long spring.     
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up