Pages:
Actions
  • #106 by grilltreats on 01 Jun 2018
  • Was just about to pull the trigger on a Stampede, but saw another post comparing the Rec Tec models and noticed that the RT700 has a 6 year warranty and RT 590 only has 2 years.  Also, the RT700 is made of heavier gauge stainless.  Think I'm going to change my mind to the RT700 for those reasons.  Too bad because the RT590 is exactly the size I wanted.   :(

That's exactly what happen to me when I saw the comparison chart for the first time here on this forum.  It was a close call as I was ready to pull the trigger on the 590.  I really like the size of the 590, but much thinner steel than the 700.  I did call RT and tried to get the differences out of them.  They never mentioned the steel and basically said they were the same quality.  I really didn't like that after I found the truth here.  I think we'll appreciate the extra cooking space of the 700 once we get going with it.  I'm waiting on the delivery truck as I type!!!
  • #107 by Ross77 on 01 Jun 2018
  • I wouldn’t worry too much about the thickness of the SS. It’s still SS.

The warranty could be an issue. I’ve had a few parts replaced in the two years that I’ve had the 680. Two of those were ignitors but they are using better ceramic ignitors now.
  • #108 by grilltreats on 01 Jun 2018
  • I wouldn’t worry too much about the thickness of the SS. It’s still SS.

The warranty could be an issue. I’ve had a few parts replaced in the two years that I’ve had the 680. Two of those were ignitors but they are using better ceramic ignitors now.

There were other difference too like no optional shelf which will probably come out later.  The RT rep said many were requesting that.  I also didn't care for the rain holes in the back and even though there is a fix option available, I was worried about less smoke flavor and being near my vinyl siding, plus with the smoke stack I can put in a damper for different results.  I still really like the 590, but am trying not to look back.
  • #109 by LowSlowJoe on 04 Jun 2018
  • The body of the Stampede measures about 0.031". Feels solid enough, I wouldn't expect any problems related to the stainless steel's thickness..   I doubt the way the exhaust exits is a significant issue, yeah, I suppose rain could get it, but it's never been much of a issue on my Traeger Junior which also has exhaust holes that are very similar.   The little louvered exhaust things certainly would help with rain..  I doubt there are many who intentionally leave their pellet grill out in the rain though, I do understand that there very well could be times when rain comes up unexpectedly , or you just need to cook with a bit of rain... yet, I still don't see it as a major concern.
  • #110 by grilltreats on 04 Jun 2018
  • I am sure the 590 is just as good a grill as the 700, but I really am happy with the additional space on my 700 now that I have done a few cooks on it.  I cooked some breast on one side and seared some chops on the sear plates on the other side all in one cook.  After cooking on the 18" KJ this is more to my liking with all the extra space.
  • #111 by Rider14 on 10 Jul 2018
  • I've broken in my Stampede fairly well... bacon to start, brisket, salmon, ribs (I forgot the ribs) and shoulder. Other than the brisket being a little dry, everything was great. I think I'll stick a pan of water in there for the next smoke.

ANYWAY - quality is good, seems very solid, the Wi-Fi control is excellent. Size is perfect.

Steel seems plenty thick, fire box very stout. I'm extremely happy. Would like to see a pellet dump so I can switch wood type without scooping, and maybe a quick access to clean out the firebox, but this thing is great. Super consistent, plenty of smoke, and great results. AS long as you foil the drip tray, clean up is easy.

Two thumbs up.

-Dan
  • #112 by LowSlowJoe on 11 Jul 2018
  • I find it very easy to get pellets out of the Stampede.  I have a plastic container, rectangular shape, I stand to the end of the hopper, place the container between myself and the hopper, this holds that container right next to the hopper, I reach down inside the hopper with both hands, and pull upward on pellets.  I could empty the entire hopper in probably less then 5 minutes this way. 

I suppose , technically a well designed pellet dump could be easier, but I really don't think it's worth giving a second thought to myself.
Pages:
Actions