Pages:
Actions
  • #31 by Ross77 on 16 May 2018
  • I’ve only seen a few posts on the RT Owners FB page. They seem to like them but are very biased....
  • #32 by Ralphie on 17 May 2018
  • I'm starting to think the pony express wandered off the trail.
  • #33 by ehubbard on 17 May 2018
  • What TimeZone are you?   
  • #34 by Ralphie on 17 May 2018
  • The eagle has landed. Assembly, pictures, burn in, and updates to come this weekend.
  • #35 by Ralphie on 18 May 2018
  • I'll generally follow the manual's recommendations but I was curious how ya'll would break in a new pellet grill.  I'm going to assemble it either tonight or tomorrow.  Any advice on seasoning or certain things to cook while feeling things out?
  • #36 by pmillen on 18 May 2018
  • I used to advocate a complex seasoning ritual.  Now—not so much.  The only reason I can see for seasoning a pit beyond the first burn to remove oils and whatnot that were left by the manufacturing process is to season areas that might rust.  I was told that the seasoning would capture unburned pellet dust and fly ash that might blow around in the pit.  Not so on my stainless steel pit.  The seasoning is hard, thin and crisp.  It periodically flakes off requiring scraping to prevent it from dropping on food.

So—if you feel the need to season an area that might rust, rub it with lard, shortening or similar, or just spray it with cooking oil and run it at about 350° for an hour or so.

EDIT:  Then cook bacon at 300° (best BLTs ever) and hamburgers at whatever temp you think is appropriate.  You'll have plenty-good seasoning.
  • #37 by Canadian John on 18 May 2018

•  +1.
  • #38 by Ralphie on 18 May 2018
  • Nice.  Thank you.  I won't argue with bacon. 
  • #39 by sbryant24 on 19 May 2018
  • Burn in, and then cook
  • #40 by JV on 19 May 2018
  • Can't wait to hear your opinion on the Stampede! 
  • #41 by Rider14 on 19 May 2018
  • About to pull the trigger on the Stampede.

Can anyone confirm that the WiFi features allows you to monitor and adjust from any WiFi connection and that you don’t need to be connected to the same network?

Also curious why RecTec didn’t add a cleaning access drawer or trapdoor to the firebox and a chute to empty the hopper. Those appear to be the only negatives I can see. RecTec did everything else.

Also glad to see those vent covers as I was figuring out how to make my own...

Been using two electric smokers for the last few years, a master built with an added smoke box on the side and a Bradley smoker. Time to move up to the pellet smoker.

Almost bought the big red RecTec (the 680?) but glad I waited. This one looks good. Looking forward to hearing everyone’s comments on the Stampede.
  • #42 by Ross77 on 20 May 2018

• As long as it's connected to your home WiFi it will allow you to adjust from anywhere you have internet access.

The trapdoor would be nice.  As far as the hopper is concerned I use a plastic scoop but I pretty much just leave 100% hickory in there and rarely change it.
  • #43 by Ralphie on 20 May 2018
  • Burn in is underway. Gonna cook bacon next but have never done that on a grill before. Do you put it directly on the grate or on the frog mat?
  • #44 by Ross77 on 20 May 2018
  • You can do either. Mats would be easier. Make sure the bacon doesn’t go past the drip pan.

Where are the pictures!!?!?
  • #45 by grilltreats on 20 May 2018

• Hello grill heads!  First time poster, longtime griller.  I went from a gas grill to a Kamado Joe with a CyberQ Wi-Fi controller many years ago and am now seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on a RT-590 for me and the Mrs.  I think it will be big enough vs. the RT-700 and it is clearly bigger than the Kamado Joe I have.  There is not a lot of info on the RT-590 just yet and my calls to REC TEC just yield a sales pitch from someone that doesn't really know the details of the grill.

I do understand the RT-590 is made in China and was disappointing to learn on here that the chamber on the RT-590 is made of thin 18 gauge stainless steel.  I will be storing the grill out on a uncovered deck and am concerned about longevity though a cover will be used when cooled down from a burn.

I see the RT-700's chamber is made with 14 gauge SS and would like to know if you pros think that it will hold heat and perform noticeably better than the RT-590 would.  I asked REC TEC why only a 2-year warranty and was told it was because people will be hauling the RT-590 around in their vehicles.  I didn't like that answer, but it is what they said via the phone conversation.  I now believe I know the truth and it is due to the thin steel chamber.

I really don't see any other grill in this $900 price range that looks better to me, but I welcome all input here for sure.  My wife doesn't really want a 54" grill added to the deck TBH, but if the RT-700 is much better then I well have to consider it over the RT-590.  I do Briskets, Pork shoulders, and everything in-between for mainly just the two of us.

Thanks for any input.  I do have more questions, but don't want to make this read too long.  Thanks again!
Pages:
Actions