Pages:
Actions
  • #61 by Ralphie on 21 May 2018
  • The Recap:  Rec Tec Stampede RT-590

- Packaging - no visible or detectable damage.
    - Assembly ~ 30 minutes.  Just had to attach 4 legs, lower shelf, and 3 handles.  12 bolts total.  Could do it in 10 minutes a 2nd time.
    - Burn In - Manual recommended about an hour at 400 degrees.  I decided to do yard work so I let it go closer to 2 hours.
    - Cooks - Bacon, Tri Tip, wings.

Notes:

- I used Pit Boss hickory pellets which I believe are blended with oak.
    - Took ~20ish minutes to hit 400 degrees for the initial burn in.
    - Took only a few minutes to decrease to 300 degrees to cook the bacon.
    - After the bacon I wanted to experiment so I shut the unit down completely for about 30 minutes.
    - Linked my iPhone app with the cooker and my wifi.  I followed the directions on Rec Tec's 3 minute youtube video for this.  Piece of cake.
    - Fired up the cooker set at 225 degrees and loaded the tri tip and wings.
    - Achieved 225 set temp in ~10-15 minutes and produced a lot of pretty blue smoke.  I determined it was proper blue smoke by watching videos about it and comparing it to my old stick burner videos.  No question here.

Food:

- Bacon - followed recommendation of a fellow Pellet Fan poster and cooked it at 300 degrees on a cooking mat (Rec Tec brand frog mat) until done.  I got distracted and overcooked it by just a few minutes but still fantastic. 

- Tri Tip - 1.75 lbs.  My first tri tip cook ever and only 2nd experience tasting tri tip.  Seasoned with "Plowboys BBQ Bovine Bold". Smoked at 225 degrees until internal temp hit 130ish (a little less than 2 hours).  Cast iron sear for ~2 minutes on each side.  Delicious. 

- Wings - wing drums marinated in Wishbone Italian salad dressing, then seasoned with "Meat Church The Gospel BBQ" seasoning.  Smoked at 225 degrees for just under 2 hours (the tri tip was in charge of the set temp for this cook).  Removed tri tip and set the temp at 400 to get a better crisp on the wings.  Only took another 10 minutes to get them right.  Dipped in "Mac's Speed Shop Red BBQ Sauce".
    Delicious.   

General Cooker Thoughts:

- I was happy with the speed it took to reach set temp.
    - I like the app and did not experience any bugs in my limited use.  I used my phone to turn the machine on and set the 225 temp.
    - Actual temp stayed right on the money most of the time and never varied more than 2 degrees from set temp.
    - Meat probe said the tri tip was 125 degrees when my Thermapen MK4 said it was 118 and then again at 135 & 128 respectively.  Gonna need to address that meat probe if further experiences are similar.  But it was my first time using the probe and the Thermapen.

General Food Thoughts:

- The bacon was awesome.  But when is it ever not?
    - Wings - let's just say that wings are back in style in my household!
    - Tri Tip - a true revelation.  This cut is new to me but I had to try it after all the positive posts on Pellet Fan.  I'm a believer now and this will be a regular beef offering in our house for as long as I can get my hands on it.  Just so delicious.  Tender, juicy, flavorful, and very easy to handle.

Hope this feedback is useful.  I know it was only one date, but I'm in love with this cooker.

:beer:
  • #62 by Ross77 on 21 May 2018
  • The older 680s were powder coated. I think the porcelain enamel will wear better.
  • #63 by grilltreats on 21 May 2018
  • The older 680s were powder coated. I think the porcelain enamel will wear better.

Thanks Ross...Good info.  I am switching over to the RT-700 thread since that is what I have coming, but still learning from this one as well 8)
  • #64 by ehubbard on 21 May 2018
  • Stampede
    Order Date: 24th Mar 2018

This order is marked as Awaiting Pickup
  • #65 by pmillen on 21 May 2018

Really useful information.  Thanks.

Good lookin' food.  How was the smoke flavor?
  • #66 by Ralphie on 21 May 2018

More smoke flavor than I expected, which is a good thing for me. I’m used to using stick burners but this pellet grill provides as much or more smoke as I will ever desire.  The flavor profile was great.
  • #67 by ehubbard on 21 May 2018
  • Ralphie thanks for the pics and summary!

I have a tri-tip in the freezer I'll be giving a go of...  out here in Cali they are almost always in the grocery store..
  • #68 by grilltreats on 21 May 2018

• Ok, I give up.  What is a stick burner?  I know gas, charcoal, eggs and such but the "stick burner" eludes me.

Great pictures and glad to hear there is some smoke flavor happening with pellet grills.  Awe maybe pellets are called sticks, lol.
  • #69 by grilltreats on 21 May 2018

• Thanks for that!

Anyone know what type of pellets ship with the 200lb bundles?  It just says assorted pellets and that definition does not match the two pellet mixes named over on the pellet ordering tab.  I am thinking these that ship wont quite be as good, IDK.
  • #70 by Ross77 on 21 May 2018
  • Likely RecTec Ultimate Blend or Cookin’ Pellets Perfect Mix. The RecTec pellets are also made by Cookin’ Pellets I think.
  • #71 by Ralphie on 21 May 2018
  • Ralphie thanks for the pics and summary!

I have a tri-tip in the freezer I'll be giving a go of...  out here in Cali they are almost always in the grocery store..

In Raleigh, NC I’ve only found tri tip in Publix (a large Florida based grocery store that is spreading in NC) and at Trader Joe’s. Although the ones I’ve seen at TJ’s are cost prohibitive by comparison.
  • #72 by cookingjnj on 22 May 2018
  • Likely RecTec Ultimate Blend or Cookin’ Pellets Perfect Mix. The RecTec pellets are also made by Cookin’ Pellets I think.

Hey Ross.  You are correct.  I ordered the 680 with the same package and it shipped with 3 bags of the Rec Tec Ultimate and 2 bags of Cookingpellet Perfect Mix.  Both were great pellets.
  • #73 by GoDuke on 22 May 2018

More smoke flavor than I expected, which is a good thing for me. I’m used to using stick burners but this pellet grill provides as much or more smoke as I will ever desire.  The flavor profile was great.

I’m new to pellet smoking myself but I think the smoke is a good level also. I do t wind up burping up smoke for a few hours. Plus, to borrow from photography, the best smoker is the one you use. I’ll get more smoky flavor on foods because I don’t have to futz with firing up the bar pal smoker every time. Is it the perfect amount of smoke? Not exactly. But if I can get 90% of the smoke flavor 10x as often, I’ll take that
    • GoDuke
  • #74 by Ralphie on 22 May 2018
  • I'm going to do longer cooks this weekend.  BBQ classics like ribs and either pork shoulders or brisket.  Then I'll settle into the more convenient weeknight meal recipes.  I also have two 16 lb whole packer corned beef briskets in the freezer so pastrami is in my near future as well. 
    I will document as I go.  Always fun to show off a new toy.
  • #75 by ehubbard on 22 May 2018
  • Sounds great Ralphie....  mine just changed to "shipped".. I don't think it'll make it for the weekend though...  west coast is pretty far..:(  I need to come up with a meal plan.   Kids want smoked Salmon really bad..   so that will be early on my list..  hmmm
Pages:
Actions