Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by okie smokie on 11 Feb 2018
  • Have been interested in the 450 but have not been able to see one up close.  I like to look under the hood before I buy.  Can any of you owners show a pic of the underside of the control area so we can see the auger motor and the fan assembly.  I would like to know if we are dealing with a 2 cylinder or v8 mechanical setup. These are things we don't seem to discuss.  Not sure how important it is if the unit works well and does not require frequent replacements, BUT I am a natural nit picker and it would be nice to know.  Also, it is nice to see how neat the manufacturer was in assembly.  ?  :help:
  • #2 by sbryant24 on 12 Feb 2018
  • Have been interested in the 450 but have not been able to see one up close.  I like to look under the hood before I buy.  Can any of you owners show a pic of the underside of the control area so we can see the auger motor and the fan assembly.  I would like to know if we are dealing with a 2 cylinder or v8 mechanical setup. These are things we don't seem to discuss.  Not sure how important it is if the unit works well and does not require frequent replacements, BUT I am a natural nit picker and it would be nice to know.  Also, it is nice to see how neat the manufacturer was in assembly.  ?  :help:

I'll look and see how feasible this is post assembly.  I'm not sure if it is easily accessible without removing the hopper.
  • #3 by Canadian John on 12 Feb 2018
  •  
    O S - Can't help w/ pics. However I am with you on the tec side of things. I like to know how things work and fix rather than discard..Preventative maintenance is top on my list... That puts me in the ' nit picker " class. You aren't alone. ;)
  • #4 by okie smokie on 12 Feb 2018

I'll look and see how feasible this is post assembly.  I'm not sure if it is easily accessible without removing the hopper.
    If it does not have a cover on the bottom of the hopper/control box you should be able to look underneath and see all of that.  Here is a pic of my GS auger motor and circulation fan.  Just got down on my back and looked up under the control/hopper. 

• #5 by sbryant24 on 12 Feb 2018

• [/quote]
    If it does not have a cover on the bottom of the hopper/control box you should be able to look underneath and see all of that.  Here is a pic of my GS auger motor and circulation fan.  Just got down on my back and looked up under the control/hopper. 
    [/quote]

It is totally enclosed after assembly, I think the side panel may be accessible but I'll have to look when I get home.
  • #6 by dclord on 12 Feb 2018
  • The bottom is covered but you can remove a side panel. I haven't taken a good look to figure out how you get to the igniter if you need to replace it. Also you can see a little bit of water made it in from the rain last night, but not where it would hurt anything.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

• #7 by dclord on 12 Feb 2018
  • Slightly different shot.

• #8 by sbryant24 on 12 Feb 2018
  • There you go, figured that side panel came off.
  • #9 by okie smokie on 12 Feb 2018
  • Much appreciated DCLORD. Good pics.  Wonder how the water got in?  Meanwhile looks good.  It appears that the fan used provides both air into the fire pot and also into the mechanical area itself.  Good idea, as it would keep the circuit board cool.  Would be a good idea to plug the leak.  Was it rain or snow?  Do you have it covered? 
    I'm sure it took some effort to expose that area so again thank you.  :clap:
  • #10 by dclord on 12 Feb 2018
  • Much appreciated DCLORD. Good pics.  Wonder how the water got in?  Meanwhile looks good.  It appears that the fan used provides both air into the fire pot and also into the mechanical area itself.  Good idea, as it would keep the circuit board cool.  Would be a good idea to plug the leak.  Was it rain or snow?  Do you have it covered? 
    Pretty sure it came in below the controller. The controller isn't sealed against the metal. Rain. I'm in San Diego so I don't know this snow thing of which you speak.

• #11 by okie smokie on 13 Feb 2018
    Pretty sure it came in below the controller. The controller isn't sealed against the metal. Rain. I'm in San Diego so I don't know this snow thing of which you speak.

I see that there are small slot openings on the front of the hopper assembly, next to the main grill body.  Water also could have entered there.  Any rust spots noted?
Pages:
Actions