Pages:
Actions
  • #31 by LowSlowJoe on 02 Jul 2018
  • So have they gotten the bugs worked out seemingly?

What bugs?

When initially released, there was no adjustment for the meat probes... and most if not all were reading about 7 to 10F higher then actual temperature ( as measured with some other reliable 3rd party thermomenter ).   They apparently have a firmware update that allows the ability to adjust this.  I've been told that the controllers that are being sold for 'upgrade' on older grills, do have this new firmware in them.

Other than that, I don't know that there are any significant issues , or bugs that I'm aware of.
  • #32 by grilltreats on 02 Jul 2018
  • Nope, I don't know of any issues with the controller.  The original board that shipped with my 700 didn't have the calibration feature for the probe ports.  The probes were off 4 and 7 degrees based on my best test efforts.  Rec Tec sent me the new board with port calibration capabilities and I have the probes zeroed in as best I can tell now using the ice water and boiling water tests and there are no issues at all that I have experienced.  I have doubled checked my meats with my Thermapen a few times and the temps agree and are spot on with each other now.
  • #33 by rfdong on 02 Jul 2018
  • Thanks.  I thought they were also having probe issues early on as well.  Why would they not have the probe calibration feature on the upgrade units?  Seems like they would have to have 2 sets of units around or are the upgrade units all of the “old” stock?
  • #34 by LowSlowJoe on 02 Jul 2018
  • Thanks.  I thought they were also having probe issues early on as well.  Why would they not have the probe calibration feature on the upgrade units?  Seems like they would have to have 2 sets of units around or are the upgrade units all of the “old” stock?

It's my understanding that the units that came in to be sold as 'upgrade' controllers, had to be updated in Georgia, before they are sold.  ( part of why they are doing a more controlled release of them ), but any of the new controllers ship out should have the feature on them.
  • #35 by grilltreats on 02 Jul 2018
  • All new boards will have the new feature.  The upgrade for the 680's will have the new boards.  To unbox all old or pending grill stock and swap the boards would not be feasible, understandably. All of the packaging (a lot of it) would have to be redone, plus the labor involved.  Much more cost effective to just ship the new boards to those who want them.  It's just two screws and a couple of wire connections for the end user to deal with.   My old board was fine, I just like to be precise without having to try and remember the offsets for two different probes.
  • #36 by Ross77 on 04 Jul 2018
  • I got one. I was logged in and hitting refresh at 11:55.
  • #37 by grilltreats on 04 Jul 2018
  • That was smart on you Ross.  I think RT should go ahead and take the orders and divvy them out in lots on a first come basis.  That may cut down on the frustration of their customers trying to order them.
  • #38 by Ross77 on 05 Jul 2018
  • It was raining here, otherwise I wouldn’t have been sitting in front of my computer at noon on the 4th of July.
  • #39 by wilpark on 11 Jul 2018
  • Finally able to get the new wifi controller.  Was sold out in 10 seconds.
  • #40 by Ross77 on 11 Jul 2018
  • Mine is arriving today.
  • #41 by grilltreats on 11 Jul 2018
  • Finally able to get the new wifi controller.  Was sold out in 10 seconds.

Congrats!  They are really nice.  Calibrate those probes (if needed) in a ice bath and enjoy!
  • #42 by grilltreats on 11 Jul 2018
  • Mine is arriving today.

Congrats...You finally landed one.  Enjoy!
  • #43 by wilpark on 11 Jul 2018
  • Hey Wilpark - me too.  I feel like I won the lottery.  Really looking forward to cranking it up.
    Seriously. My heart was pounding at noon

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• #44 by wilpark on 11 Jul 2018
  • I received an email about 10 minutes ago saying that it has shipped already. Very excited. I've been using my Green Mountain Grill with Wi-Fi over the Rec Tec because of the Wi-Fi feature. I love the Wi-Fi

• #45 by grilltreats on 11 Jul 2018
  • I received an email about 10 minutes ago saying that it has shipped already. Very excited. I've been using my Green Mountain Grill with Wi-Fi over the Rec Tec because of the Wi-Fi feature. I love the Wi-Fi

I'm with you on the Wi-Fi.  I have a chuck roast going on the RT for dinner while I'm  playing on the PC and monitoring the cook on my phone.  I haven't even gone outside in the past two hours to even look at it.  No need, alarms are set and all is well.  I even have Wi-Fi on my KJ.  I love it.
Pages:
Actions