Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Hoosier Daddy on 11 Feb 2018
  • How many of you current RT680 owners are going to purchase the new fancy wifi controler when it comes out?  I watched the Facebook videos of how it works and although I do like the new display with the dial temp settings the wifi doesn't really interest me.  I have a Thermoworks Smoke when I need to monitor temps but here lately I haven't even bothered using it. I just set the pit to the temp I want and put the meat on. I feel I've gotten "dialed in" to the pit enough to where about an hour before I think the meat should be done I just go check it with my Theremopen.

BUT......at $99 for the limited time upgrade I'm still tempted just to have the latest & greatest. 

How about you?

Dan
  • #2 by Ross77 on 11 Feb 2018
  • I'm in for $99.  I like that it's a dial rather than pushbutton and meat probes will be nice.

Also, the Lo setting is now the minimum feed rate so rather than trying to maintain 180 it could go lower than 180. 

I always use a probe with butts or briskets so I have a general idea of when it's getting close to wrapping and then being done.  Having it all in one app will be convenient. 

One other use for me is smoking at low heat and then increasing to 400+.  I do this with wings.  I'll smoke for 90 minutes and then turn it up to high heat to crisp the skin.  Being able to do that remotely will be nice as my pit is downstairs on the patio. 

None of this is absolutely necessary but I'll do it for $99.
  • #3 by wilpark on 12 Feb 2018
  • I will def get it for the wifi capabilities.  I have a GMG i use 90 % of the time because of the wifi.  The rectec cooks more evenly so I cant wait for the wifi controller
  • #4 by Soldier17 on 12 Feb 2018
  • I'm Also going to be upgrading to the wifi controller. It will be nice to have the ability to monitor and adjust temperatures remotely.
  • #5 by lamrith on 12 Feb 2018
  • I plan to whenever they hurry up and get them in.
  • #6 by wilpark on 12 Feb 2018
  • I plan to whenever they hurry up and get them in.

I was told end of Spring.  Needs to be here asap
  • #7 by rfdong on 13 Feb 2018
  • I’ll definitely do it for $99
  • #8 by LowSlowJoe on 13 Feb 2018
  • In case anyone is wondering... the question came up about if you can use the new Rec Tec controller  via local WiFi only ( no internet ), so I asked Rec Tec and was told , that you need to have internet connection to remotely use the new controllers.
  • #9 by cookingjnj on 14 Feb 2018
  • I have the 680 and I am also looking forward to the new controller rolling out.  For $99, I am in no question.
  • #10 by melaleuca727 on 15 Feb 2018
  • I'm in also!!

Even if I have to camp out in front of their Augusta warehouse to be first in line. ;D
  • #11 by rfdong on 27 Apr 2018
  • Any updates?  I’m not on FB so relying on others. 
  • #12 by Ross77 on 27 Apr 2018
  • They said a few months still. Not sure why it’s delayed.
  • #13 by leppolite on 27 Apr 2018
  • Yeah, I was hoping to have it installed and running by now...they need to hurry up and release them already!
  • #14 by Ross77 on 27 Apr 2018
  • They definitely over promised and under delivered in this case.

Although it sounds like the the probe temps are not accurate so they still have some bugs to work out.
  • #15 by leppolite on 27 Apr 2018
  • For the short term I am distracted by that Champion Competition Pro Louisiana at Costco, I really dont need it but really want it for some reason. Hopefully by the time that fascination is over the controllers will be available.  :)
Pages:
Actions