Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 304 Stainless?  (Read 1166 times)

Goosehunter51

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
304 Stainless?
« on: February 11, 2018, 11:11:32 PM »

Is it worth the extra $300?  Why do they offer two?  Is it a sick joke to pester people like me?  :rotf:
Smokin like a two stack MAK come on!  MAK 2 Star General #3053

GrillinGlen

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Meridian, Idaho
Re: 304 Stainless?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 11:48:10 PM »

I’ve had the regular SS for 5 or 6 years, doesn’t seem worth it,  unless maybe it’s right on the ocean
2011 SS Memphis Pro

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 10:23:23 AM »

If you are talking Memphis, they don't push 430 stainless unless your pit will be in a corrosive environment such as  being near the ocean. The hood and handle is 430 in both cases..Call and discuss w/ them no matter what pit you are thinking of.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 10:34:02 AM by Canadian John »

GrillinGlen

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Meridian, Idaho
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 11:13:34 AM »

If you are talking Memphis, they don't push 430 stainless unless your pit will be in a corrosive environment such as  being near the ocean. The hood and handle is 430 in both cases..Call and discuss w/ them no matter what pit you are thinking of.

I could be wrong but I thought the 304 SS is the upgrade and the 430 SS was the standard
2011 SS Memphis Pro

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 11:17:03 AM »

316 stainless is what we prefer in boating. 304 does not preform as well in a salt water environment.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

rwalters

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 01:26:21 PM »

Just went through this today...I ordered a pro in the 304 stainless. I figured what’s $300-$400 more when I hopefully have this one a long time?  And SS is a pita to keep clean, so I’ll take the better corrosion resistance since mine will be on the deck year round

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You pulled the trigger?!?!

What does this mean for your Yoder?

rwalters

304 Stainless?
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 01:35:20 PM »

Just went through this today...I ordered a pro in the 304 stainless. I figured what’s $300-$400 more when I hopefully have this one a long time?  And SS is a pita to keep clean, so I’ll take the better corrosion resistance since mine will be on the deck year round

I did!  Looking forward to trying it out.

I will get the yoder cleaned up when it gets warmer and then sell it. I have no need for two large pellet cookers (I do need a small one for the camper though)

Very VERY much looking forward to seeing and hearing about your thoughts/opinions regarding the Memphis!  Curious, what made you opt for the pro vs elite, when the elite is closer in size to what you were cooking on with the Yoder?

rwalters

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 02:14:19 PM »

I did!  Looking forward to trying it out.

I will get the yoder cleaned up when it gets warmer and then sell it. I have no need for two large pellet cookers (I do need a small one for the camper though)

Very VERY much looking forward to seeing and hearing about your thoughts/opinions regarding the Memphis!  Curious, what made you opt for the pro vs elite, when the elite is closer in size to what you were cooking on with the Yoder?

I am looking forward to seeing the difference also. I have a few guesses on some differences, but will find out for sure soon enough!

Went with the pro as I can cook almost same amount of food with their additional grates as I can on the yoder, but honestly I’m cooking for the four of us 90% of the time...occasionally 8-10 people but not as often as in the past. Elite is a lot of grill to heat up for 4 steaks and veggies:).

Also, for the price I got the pro for, an Elite was like another $2,000 more than the Pro...easier to tell the wife I got the Pro!

Have you seen the Pro in person?

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 02:59:03 PM »

Me too!

I could be wrong but I thought the 304 SS is the upgrade and the 430 SS was the standard
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 03:04:11 PM »

I am cooking Butt for 45 people on the Pro Weds.  It is 4 eight pounders, and I will be curious to see if all 4 are going to fit.  I think I have done this a few times but don't remember.

Did you get the Flame Zone or what ever it is called, I can't remember what it was called when I PT the Elite...After the unit stabilizes in temperature, if the new ones are like the old ones, there will be maybe a 2° difference side to side and top to bottom...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 03:06:33 PM by Bentley »

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 03:39:20 PM »

And SS is a pita to keep clean, so I’ll take the better corrosion resistance since mine will be on the deck year round

My PG500 isn't 304 (it's magnetic).  It sits on my Nebraska deck year-around, often not covered, and it hasn't corroded.  So I agree with those who say that the 304 SS is only advisable if it will be in a severe environment.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 03:42:50 PM »

What a deal!

Yeah, I have learned over the years, just cuz you can hit the temperature do you really need it?  I do not cook much on 650° anymore, if at all!  It was like when J$money ask me to grill on the PG500 on high in that Performance Test...It was so hot on that grill surface, you could hardly get your hands over it with utensils!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 03:57:51 PM »

Yeah, I am kinda afraid to use the Memphis on the open grate special temp setting modes.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 01:27:29 PM »

You are 100% correct! I some how got it backwards. Hard to believe having worked with both of those metals..I apologize for the misinformation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up