Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by yorkdude on 09 Feb 2018
  • With St. Pattys day looming, the sauerkraut recipes, corned beef and pastrami threads got me to thinking.
    A wet aged packer, 2.5 weeks currently and then the magic.
    As it stands today.
    Going to need some help here as it's my 1st go at this, chime in please.
  • #2 by Bentley on 09 Feb 2018
  • This will be very fun to watch! 

I got my notice today I am supposed to take my Corned Beef out of the freezer and start Dry Aging it for my St Patty's day cook...I am just not sure now that I want to do it!  Oh well, I will at least go get it out of the Freezer!
  • #3 by Bentley on 09 Feb 2018
  • My suggestions would be to separate the point from the flat if you are Wet Curing.  If you are rub curing, doubt it makes a difference.  And then determine how much fat you like on your slices of CB or Pastrami...I slice mine so thin I like a good amount and trim accordingly. 
  • #4 by heffneil on 09 Feb 2018
  • I gotta tell you guys I have been cooking corned beef for years.  I don't bother with curing myself its so easy to buy it already done and I rarely have a bad prepackaged corned beef.

I like the flat - sometime I get them which is point area.

Anyway the BEST (my opinion) way to cook these is to boil water with granular garlic.  You put enough water to cover the corned beef (don't put it in yet) put the garlic in and you put just enough to the point where you gag (no joke).  I say when you think you put too much put a little more.  Bring the water to a boil - throw in the corned beef - no spice packet and reduce to a rolling boil.  About 4 hours or so later - poke with a fork or something and test it like any other brisket.  When its done I put it in a large pan and add some of the water that boiled.  Let it stand for a while and slice.  For Xmas I can't make enough! I ran all around Delaware to 6 different stores two days before Xmas. It was impossible to find them!

I love Smoking but for corned beef boiling is the way :)
  • #5 by Bentley on 09 Feb 2018
  • There is no such point for me...

put the garlic in and you put just enough to the point where you gag (no joke).
  • #6 by heffneil on 12 Feb 2018
  • You start to inhale it and you almost can't help it.  I would say its probably in measurement somewhere between a 1/2 cip and one cup.

Its not smoking but you should try it!

Neil
  • #7 by Bentley on 12 Feb 2018
  • re you going to use a wet cure or a rub cure?
  • #8 by yorkdude on 12 Feb 2018
  • Sorry just saw this. The post you made originally is what prompted this but can go either way I guess. Was planning on wet aging right up the brine time. Whatcha thinking?
  • #9 by Bentley on 13 Feb 2018
  • I have no idea what is best.  I will agree that you need more space for wet cure, so I am sure that is a factor for many.
  • #10 by heffneil on 13 Feb 2018
  • Could you use a vacuum seal bag like the plants use?  Wet cure in a sealed bag?
  • #11 by yorkdude on 13 Feb 2018
  • I am going to follow the recipe you posted in the beef section. We have plenty of room in the spare fridge. Going to leave it as is in the cryovac and then follow your recipe, 10 days if memory serves in the spices.
Pages:
Actions