Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Happy Fastnacht Day  (Read 819 times)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Happy Fastnacht Day
« on: February 12, 2018, 11:02:50 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fastnacht_(Pennsylvania_Dutch)

I need to wake up early to ensure I get some tomorrow morning before they sell out.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: Happy Fastnacht Day
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 12:29:07 AM »

I've never heard of 'em.  But I wish I were there early with you.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 07:11:15 AM »

Just got home from the bakery.  Wonderfully fresh fastnachts!
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 07:17:16 AM »

Curious as heck but the link takes me to another one that I don't necessarily trust. I found them via the major search engine, fried doughnuts, YUM.
Enjoy
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 07:19:23 AM by yorkdude »

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 07:56:42 AM »

Yes, Happy Fat Tuesday everyone!  Eat something fried -- my preference is a cro-nut from the bakery at the grocery store (a cross between a croissant and a doughnut).  I think I could eat 40 or 50 of them, but I will limit myself to one.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 08:25:31 AM »

Link didn't work for me either when I used it but when I did a google search i got the same link and it worked.  Anyway, here is a copy and paste.

Fastnacht (Pennsylvania Dutch)

Fastnacht Day

Observed by   Followers of many Christian denominations and common custom
Type   Christian
Date   Tuesday in seventh week before Easter
2017 date   28 February
2018 date   13 February
Related to   Ash Wednesday
Mardi Gras
Fastnacht Day is an annual Pennsylvania Dutch celebration that falls on Shrove Tuesday, the day before Ash Wednesday. The word translates to "Fast Night" in English. The tradition is to eat the very best foods, which are part of the German tradition, and lots of it, before the Lenten fast. Fastnachts (pronounced fost-nokts in German) are doughnuts. There are three types of Fastnachts, one made with yeast, one made with baking powder, and one made with potatoes and yeast. All are slightly crispy on the outside and not as sweet as standard doughnuts.

Contents
1   History
2   Traditional Celebrations
3   Recipe
4   Date
5   See also
6   References
History
Traditionally, fastnachts are made to use up the lard, sugar, butter, eggs and other rich foods in a house before the austere diet of Lent begins. In Catholic and Protestant countries, Fastnacht Day is also called "Fat Tuesday," or "Mardi Gras," a name which predates the Reformation and referred to the Christian tradition of eating rich foods before the Lenten fast began. In some South American countries, the day is associated with Carnival, a festival of dancing, drinking and debauchery. "Carnival," which is the English spelling, derives from the words "carne levar," or "meat takeaway," another Lenten tradition.[1] Fastnacht can also be spelled in various ways, such as "fasnacht", "fassenacht," or "faschnacht." The word "fastnacht" means "the night before the fast," since the doughnuts are eaten the night before Lent, when fasting is usually observed by many Christians until Easter Sunday. Making and eating fastnachts was a way to consume all the fats, such as butter and lard, kept in the house pantry, as these rich ingredients were seen as lavish and were not supposed to be eaten during the Lenten season.[2]

Traditional Celebrations
One popular recipe is the one that calls for mixing the dough with mashed potatoes, which gives the yeast raised fastnachts a flavor all its own, not be confused with commercial donuts. Since Pennsylvania Dutch farm families were quite large, when the "Haus Frau" (housewife) began to fry the raised fastnachts in her warm kitchen the tantalizing smell of these raised donut-like cakes lingered throughout the farmhouse. Naturally, the wiser members of the family were awoken, and realized that if they got up early they could share in Mother's fastnacht treats. But the less wise ones or lazy ones may have continued in their slumber, while the siblings enjoyed fresh fastnachts with a beverage. The last person up on Shrove Tuesday was called the "Fastnacht" and kidded all day long for being late for this wonderful breakfast. In the same way, the last person up on Ash Wednesday was also teased, and called the "Ashepuddle", whose chore for the day was to carry the ashes in the stoves and ovens outside to the ash pile. Fastnachts were a winter staple of the Dutch housewife and could be eaten long past Ash Wednesday, even though originally fried in pork lard, the day before Lent. Shrove Tuesday fastnacht baking was a way of life in which the Pennsylvania Dutch people celebrated its ethnicity, more than going to church; it was a folk-life practice that was more personal. These yeast raised cakes had been rolled out and then cut into squares, triangles, or rectangles to rise near an old cast iron kitchen stove. Older Church congregations in the East Penn Valley still have Fastnacht Church Socials or suppers in which natives gather for fellowship, enjoying their Pennsylvania Dutch heritage.[3] In today's time several large corporations are also producing fastnacht doughnuts in a unique way. The substitution of coke in for the milk or coffee of the original recipe; it gave the doughnut a special/unique flavor. This was later to become the Coca-Cola recipe of the fastnacht doughnut.[4] Traditionally the fastnacht didn't have a hole in it, it was cut, or slit, through the middle (like a bagel) to allow air and the placement of condiments such as jelly, and butter. Some cultures add molasses (king syrup) or "Turkey Brand" syrup to enhance the flavor.[5]

Recipe
Recipe #1:Fastnachts with baking powder

3-1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour 1 tablespoon baking powder 1/2 teaspoon salt 3/4 teaspoon ground mace (can use nutmeg) 1/4 cup solid vegetable shortening (use lard if you can get it) 1 cup granulated sugar 2 large eggs, beaten 1 cup milk vegetable or canola oil for frying, about 2 quarts

Place the flour, baking powder, salt and mace in a medium bowl. Stir with a wire whisk to combine. Set aside. In a large bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the shortening and sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs and mix until creamy. Gradually add the dry ingredients, alternating with the milk, mixing on low speed, just until well-combined. Place on a floured board. Work the dough lightly with hands, adding a little more flour as needed if it is too sticky. (This dough should be very soft, something like a biscuit dough, so don't add more flour than necessary.) Gently roll the dough into a 1/2-inch thick rectangle or square. Using a sharp knife, cut into 2-inch squares or similarly sized rectangles. Heat the oil in a deep-sided pot over medium heat to 375 °F. Carefully add the fastnachts to the oil, about 6 per batch, and fry until well-browned on one side, about 2 minutes. Flip and brown the other side for another 2 or 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a baking sheet lined with paper towels to drain. Repeat with the remaining fastnachts.[6]

Recipe #2: Fastnachts with Yeast

2 cups scalded milk, ½ cup lard, 1 cup mashed potatoes, 2 teaspoons salt, ¾ cup sugar, 2 well beaten eggs, 1 package yeast, 7 cups flour, approximately

Scald milk and add mashed potatoes, sugar, salt, and lard. Cool until lukewarm. Add eggs. Add yeast and enough flour to make a soft dough. Knead well and place in a greased bowl. Cover with a cloth and let rise about 1½ hours. Roll ¼ inch thick on a floured board. Place on a cloth and let rise until doubled in size and fry in hot fat.[7]

Recipe #3: Fastnachts with potatoes and yeast

2 1/2 c. hot mashed potatoes 1 cup milk 3 beaten eggs 2 Tablespoons melted butter 2 cups sugar 2 Tablespoons baking powder 5 cups all-purpose flour

In a large bowl combine all ingredients, but add flour slowly. Divide dough in half and roll to 1/2" thickness. Cut with doughnut cutter. Fry in deep fat or oil, turning when brown. Drain on paper towels and let cool.[8]

LowSlowJoe

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
Re: Happy Paczki day
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 11:50:57 AM »

In this neck of the woods it's Paczki day
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 12:08:32 PM »

In this neck of the woods it's Paczki day

The Polish version of this German tradition?

kruz805

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 12:22:17 PM »

Rec Tec  Broilmaster Grill Certified Beer Judge

LowSlowJoe

• Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 01:16:28 PM »

First time I ever had a Paczki, my gut hurt the rest of the day...  I used to call them gut bombs.    I gave them up for many years, then a few years ago , I figured I'd try one again,  I survived that second try and now I do eat them when someone brings them to work...  But truth be known, I don't think the ones I've been getting at work are the real deal... I think you have to go down to Hamtramck and stand in line for hours to get the real deal.
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 11:54:07 AM »

First time I ever had a Paczki, my gut hurt the rest of the day...  I used to call them gut bombs.    I gave them up for many years, then a few years ago , I figured I'd try one again,  I survived that second try and now I do eat them when someone brings them to work...  But truth be known, I don't think the ones I've been getting at work are the real deal... I think you have to go down to Hamtramck and stand in line for hours to get the real deal.

Hamtramck is the "Holy Grail" for Paczkis. I worked in a bakery a 100 years ago and we tried to make them. They were good,but not authentic. There is a difference! I can tell I'm getting older and times are a changing. Instead of a Paczki (or two or 3) for Fat Tuesday I had a single jelly bean!
God grant that I may never live to be useless! ― John Wesley

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 12:39:51 PM »

Instead of a Paczki (or two or 3) for Fat Tuesday I had a single jelly bean!

I'm a short fat guy that's been on a 1200 Calorie diet for a week.  For breakfast on Fat Tuesday I had the belly button from a navel orange.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower
Pages: [1]   Go Up