Pages:
Actions
  • #46 by Kristin Meredith on 17 Feb 2018
  • Guarantee was 45 and 39 turned up.  Several compliments so I think they liked it. Virtually no sauce and people were allowed to sauce as they pleased and I know folks liked that, especially given how the Aux has usually presented pulled pork.  It was about 17 lbs cooked and we figured about 13 lbs eaten.  If we had had 6 more, probably would have been closer to 15 lbs eaten when a couple of folks helping in the kitchen also got feed.  It was a good day.
  • #47 by yorkdude on 17 Feb 2018
  • Very nice. I am sure that everyone was pleased.
  • #48 by Bentley on 17 Feb 2018
  • A few unsolicited comments that it was good, so that is always nice to hear.  I believe the guarantee was 45, but we had 39. 17lbs, and I am going to say 4lbs. left (almost a full restaurant steam tray).  So I guess about 5.3oz per person on average...It appeared to me virtually everyone had gone through the line once, right before that, I had put the 2nd try in.  A slight break, then I guess the real eaters figured it was time to get after it.  The guys who had seconds, I am gonna say it was maybe a 1/3, it seems when they cam back trough the 2nd time, they ate an entire pan, about what the 1st 30 did!
  • #49 by okie smokie on 17 Feb 2018
  • Yeah, my humor is not always done correctly...and then I wonder why folks don't get it!  If you look at the plastic bowel, and then the tray right next to it, there is some of the oven pork from the bowl in the steam tray, and as I look at it they do look the same. 

The big difference is the right out of the pit pulled stuff and the brown, nasty oven looking stuff.  Although, I am amazed at how much of the "smoke ring" was gone from Weds cook, to Fridays serving.  That was disappointing and I have no explanation for it.  It happens if I vac seal and boil reheat, if I pan with apple juice cover and reheat in oven (like Friday), and even if I apple juice and microwave and reheat.  Though it might be a matter of time and exposure to air, but that is not possible when vac sealed...I just don't get it!  Cuz it sure did not look as appealing on Friday as it did Weds night!
    I've noted the loss of the smoke ring and redness also on reheated BBQ.  Comes in handy when I eat out and order supposedly same day BBQ. I will usually ask the waiter to bring the fresh stuff but no guarantees on that. Several of the good public pits around here only do so much a day and when it is gone, it is gone. Like chalkboard restaurants, they scratch it off the menu when it is gone. Since I have been doing my own that is less of an event.
Pages:
Actions