News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Griddle  (Read 958 times)

MadFoodScientist

• Using less gas.
Griddle
« on: February 14, 2018, 02:24:10 PM »

I was wondering if any had a good griddle they would recommend for the Memphis Pro. 
------------ Memphis Pro 304 Louisiana Grill CS540 Big Steel Keg

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: Griddle
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 05:00:24 PM »

If you want a griddle for browning or searing, get the heaviest one you can find.

I have three, one is the largest Little Griddle brand, one is a smaller Little Griddle that's completely coated with a tough nonstick material.  Another is from GrillGrates and is just thin flat metal.

I don't use any of them in my pit; only on my gas grill.  They're fine for teppanyaki, eggs and bacon, burgers, French toast and other light grilling.  But none is heavy enough to properly brown smoked or sous-vide meat. 

I'm done buying griddles until I can find a really heavy one that will hold heat like cast iron and has a nonstick coating that is metal utensil safe, like the various ceramic compounds.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 05:05:57 PM by pmillen »
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 05:09:12 PM »

If you want a griddle for browning or searing, get the heaviest one you can find.

I have three, one is the largest Little Griddle brand, one is a smaller Little Griddle that's completely coated with a tough nonstick material.  Another is from GrillGrates and is just thin flat metal.

I don't use any of them in my pit; only on my gas grill.  They're fine for teppanyaki, eggs and bacon, burgers, French toast and other light grilling.  But none is heavy enough to properly brown smoked or sous-vide meat. 

I'm done buying griddles until I can find a really heavy one that will hold heat like cast iron and has a nonstick coating that is metal utensil safe, like the various ceramic compounds.

Ding Ding...that is exactly why I bought the Camp Chef grill/griddle although it is still in a box in my garage until it warms up a bit to assemble it and use it.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 05:26:12 PM »

Ding Ding...that is exactly why I bought the Camp Chef grill/griddle although it is still in a box in my garage until it warms up a bit to assemble it and use it.

I recall that.  It was an exchange with bregent, here, where he convinced me to go "heavy" because the light metal gives up its heat too fast, that changed my thoughts on griddles.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

MadFoodScientist

• Using less gas.
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 02:22:36 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions- looks like there are some good options!  My Memphis Pro just arrived this morning- can't wait til I get done with work today to do the burn in and first cook.
------------ Memphis Pro 304 Louisiana Grill CS540 Big Steel Keg

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 02:37:49 PM »

You have Laser Film to deal with 1st, and I do not envy you that task! The only thing that makes that task worth it is the way that unit works!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 02:42:34 PM »

Lodge griddle here. They manufacture two  large rectangular models; LDP3  @ 16 3/4" x 9 1/2"  and LPG13 @ 20" x 10 1/2", as well as some smaller ones..

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 04:10:32 PM »

You have Laser Film to deal with 1st, and I do not envy you that task! The only thing that makes that task worth it is the way that unit works!

That was a horrible hour or so.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Phrett

• Using less gas.
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 04:13:27 AM »

Ditto on Lodge cast iron griddle!
Memphis Pro GMG DC Electric vertical smoker Blues, booze and BBQ

ZCZ

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 12:14:33 PM »

I have a circular cast iron Mario Batali griddle (tho I don't think he sells them anymore).  It is large enough for a Papa Murphy Large but not big enough for the Family Size.  Works great for that.  Keeps the pizza warm while eating.
Z
2013 Memphis Pro
24th in Ribs at the 2015 American Royal
Titus 3:3-7
Pages: [1]   Go Up