Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Return of College Football -- YEAH !!!!!  (Read 8158 times)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Return of College Football -- YEAH !!!!!
« Reply #105 on: January 02, 2018, 10:30:55 AM »

Yeah, I am a huge Bama fan, but even I am having trouble getting all excited about what will be an SEC Championship game.  But the bowl system gets what it deserves on this one.  I never thought Bama should be one of the final 4.

But maybe this will give some momentum to an 8 team playoff system.  I bet if we had had 8 teams in the mix, including Wisconsin and Ohio State, we would see a different set of teams playing.  And, if not, folks would have had the feeling it was more fair and not a Saban/Bama love fest.

Don't forget the undefeated team that showed they could play with a near top SEC team in Auburn.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #106 on: January 02, 2018, 11:32:10 AM »

Yeah, unfortunately given the bias, I am not sure one of the "lesser" conferences would ever be allowed into a top 8 playoff.  Unfair? Yes, but that is what happens when people are allowed to do the ranking.  Biases creep in.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #107 on: January 02, 2018, 01:07:18 PM »

#4 beats #1 and #3 beats #2...All the SEC fans will say is...see, we were under ranked and we just proved it.  You other Conferences are not in our league and the only games that should be on TV each week is the SEC.  Folks can still go to a Nebraska, or Wisconsin or Washington game in person, but you really arn't good enough for TV.  And  teams like Toledo, and U of Central Florida or Fresno State, your programs should just be cancelled now.

The only prediction I will make is if Alabama scores more then 21 points, Georgia will not win this game...and as a side note, having seen Alabama's offense in person this year, they are a grade above Oklahoma, so Georgia's Defense can give up 45 to OK...they better eat 2 bowls of Wheaties on Game Day!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

MN-Smoker

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #108 on: January 02, 2018, 04:06:54 PM »

I was bummed by OU's loss.

I don't know how much of the SEC Championship v2 I will watch.

It seems unnecessary now.
Regardless of who wins, Auburn beat them during the season when teams are in the midst of their seasons (without a long layoff) and yet UCF was better than them.

Would have made for a very good playoff if it was 8 teams.

Firecraft Q-450 Broilmaster Superb Gasser

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #109 on: January 02, 2018, 04:32:36 PM »

It was interesting listening to someone on a sports show this past week talk about the good old days when you had to be a conference champion to make it in the NCAA basketball tournament.  Now about 70 teams make it.

Then you have the coach at Notre Dame talking about how they need to change their schedule because they play too many good teams late in the season where other big conference teams play some college you never heard of in November so they can stay undefeated or have only one loss.

I think they have made a step in the right direction with the playoff system.  It has it's faults for most people.  Hopefully, they can learn from it and continue to make it better so there are less disappointed fans.  It will be interesting to see the viewership numbers for Monday's game.  Maybe if people don't tune in, those that make the playoff system will think about making improvements.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #110 on: January 02, 2018, 04:49:04 PM »

There are 12 Conference's in FBS 1-A football.  So to do it right, we need 16 teams in playoffs.  We go back to 10 game seasons, all Conference champions are in playoff and we get 4 at large. You add 4 more games to those schedules, just like now.  But that is only if you make it to finals, so that means a program loses 1-2 home games...and no one is ever gonna give up the $$$$$...So it will never happen.

NCAA Basketball see nothing wrong with Kansas or Kentucky getting to pay Miss Laverns Secretary school in the 1st round...So this play off is seeded and Toledo plays Alabama and Wisconsin plays Fresno State and the lower ranked team gets crushed...Like I said BB has no issues with this, but then you also get UCF beating Auburn in 1st round and away we go!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 04:56:41 PM by Bentley »

Mudflap

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Sunset in Harrisburg Oregon
« Reply #111 on: January 02, 2018, 06:47:18 PM »

There are 12 Conference's in FBS 1-A football.  So to do it right, we need 16 teams in playoffs.  We go back to 10 game seasons, all Conference champions are in playoff and we get 4 at large. You add 4 more games to those schedules, just like now.  But that is only if you make it to finals, so that means a program loses 1-2 home games...and no one is ever gonna give up the $$$$$...So it will never happen.

NCAA Basketball see nothing wrong with Kansas or Kentucky getting to pay Miss Laverns Secretary school in the 1st round...So this play off is seeded and Toledo plays Alabama and Wisconsin plays Fresno State and the lower ranked team gets crushed...Like I said BB has no issues with this, but then you also get UCF beating Auburn in 1st round and away we go!

I like it..but like you said $$$ loss would stop it from happening. Also would through something in about all play same amount of league games. If not SEC would only play 6 or less....If you don't make playoff then schedule 2 more games. Home Conference TV would pick them up...

I love March madness because of the underdogs/Cinderella games.

Mudflap
Just want to cook good food. DB GMG

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #112 on: January 02, 2018, 07:36:42 PM »

I like the 16 team playoff concept.  They should do 3 other tournaments like they do in BB so that the teams don't lose as many games for revenue.  Do the ball draw like they do for the World Cup.

jdmessner

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Evart, MI
« Reply #113 on: January 04, 2018, 04:50:46 PM »

For what it's worth here's my  :2cents: worth (probably about 2 cents more than it's worth). I feel like the old "get off my lawn" guy. I don't think there should be a play off for college football. As it now stands the conference championships don't mean a thing and non play off bowl games mean even less. It used to be if you won your conference and a bowl game you had a good year and let the chips fall where they may as far as national rankings. As far as I am concerned Central Florida is the true national champ. They went undefeated and beat the one team that beat both the teams playing for the national championship. Can't do much better than that.

God grant that I may never live to be useless! ― John Wesley

Bob The Smoker

• Using less gas.
  • This is the last accessory I will ever need
« Reply #114 on: January 06, 2018, 09:33:17 PM »

Yes. What he said. That and I live 5 miles from UCF.
Traeger Lil Tex Elite Cold Smoker Side Attachment Weber Q Sous Vide

ZCZ

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
« Reply #115 on: January 09, 2018, 06:14:27 AM »

Well, thats over with.
Maybe the SEC will switch to making the national Championship there Conference Championship on an annual basis. No sense having to do it twice. And maybe all four teams in the BCS can be SEC teams.  That would only be fair to the rest of the teams in the conference. Auburn should have been included this year as they beat both these teams. 
On another note I think Ohio State would have beaten Alabama last night.
2013 Memphis Pro
24th in Ribs at the 2015 American Royal
Titus 3:3-7

reubenray

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #116 on: January 09, 2018, 06:47:42 AM »

I live in Alabama and I am tired of seeing Alabama in football.    This is hard living in Alabama where you have a lot of bad Winners rubbing it in your face all the time.  Some of our neighbors are the worse.  When an Alabama fan says the RT words (we won't say it) we say "round the bowl and down the hole".

Even though my team (LSU) is SEC I understand completely why everyone is getting tired of SEC football.  I was hoping Oklahoma would have made it to the championship and put a whipping on Alabama.  I wonder what the viewer amount was for this game?  We did not watch the game.

GO SAINTS!!!!!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 06:50:17 AM by reubenray »
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #117 on: January 09, 2018, 07:25:48 AM »

One of the best second half's of college football I have seen right up there with GA vs OK game.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #118 on: January 09, 2018, 09:01:43 AM »

Bent came home from a meeting and said "what's the score?"  Me:  "I don't know, I am watching Antiques Roadshow".  We changed the channel a few times to see the score, but I went to bed about 11.  I know Bama was losing at that point.  At some point I awoke to him screaming "You are one of the luckiest so and so's (I think you can guess the words) in the world", so I knew Bama had won since Bent hates the Tide.

I did read a story on-line this morning and watched a video of the final touchdown.  It was all classic Saban -- a great strategist who can change plans on the run, who has an intuitive feel for what should be done during a game, a coach with  true intestinal fortitude.  That is what I have always admired.  Plus the fact that I think it is important to embrace and appreciate excellence on all levels which is what Bama football is about.  And, look at my avatar!

With all that said, I don't think they should have been in the final 4 and I don't think this title should have happened.  But the committee sure ain't listening to me.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #119 on: January 09, 2018, 11:45:22 AM »

This is the only thing that will have an impact on those that have the power to put the teams in those final 4 positions!

I wonder what the viewer amount was for this game?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up