Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Kristin Meredith on 15 Feb 2018
  • We don't have anything planned for President's Day weekend, although if I could find some of those nice beef ribs I would definitely go for those.

We are now starting into the busy time of year for cooking for the BSVFD Auxiliary. 

-  this Friday is pulled pork, cole slaw, beans and dessert for 45.
         -  next Friday is our Spaghetti Dinner Fundraiser open to the community (usually get about 115)
         -  Sat. March 3, pulled pork, slaw and potato salad for 110
         -  Wed March 7, roast beef, mashed potatoes, green beans, mac-n-cheese, gravy, rolls and dessert for 125
         -  Sat March 17, 2 meats, 3 sides and desserts for annual dinner for our sister VFD station (about 175)
         -  Thurs March 22, 1 meat, 3 sides, rolls, gravy and dessert for about 150

Bent and I are in charge of 4 out of the 6 events, so lots of time in the kitchen in the next 5 weeks.

You folks have any cooks coming up for family or friends or President's Day?
  • #2 by Canadian John on 15 Feb 2018

•  Kristin; You have" Trumped " me on this one!  ;)
  • #3 by yorkdude on 15 Feb 2018
  • Holy cow, busy might be slightly understated.
    Very generous with your time and talents.
  • #4 by cookingjnj on 15 Feb 2018
  • Kristin, you and Bent are just awesome for the amount of time and your talents you give to folks in your community and for folks here in this community.  I for one admire and respect all you are doing.  As far as this weekend, I have really been wanting to try and cook up some stuffed boneless chicken thights after hearing and seeing many on this site prepare so well.  Might give that a try.
  • #5 by dk117 on 15 Feb 2018

•  Kristin; You have" Trumped " me on this one!  ;)

to trump.  To one up, outdo.  Many card games of this type.   I've been using that phrase for 35 years and now I get ridiculed if I use that word as it was intended. 

DK
    • dk117
  • #6 by Michael_NW on 15 Feb 2018
  • Wow. I'm getting tired just reading the list. Looks like you finish one and then start prepping for the next. The folks in your community are fortunate to have you two generous people with them!
  • #7 by Kristin Meredith on 15 Feb 2018
  • It is much easier for us because we are retired and so lots of free time on our hands and we both like to cook.  I think the ones deserving of praise are those that work long days and still find time to help in their communities on nights and weekends!
  • #8 by Bar-B-Lew on 15 Feb 2018
  • if you don't mind me asking, what is the typical age group that attends these functions?
  • #9 by Kristin Meredith on 15 Feb 2018
  • It varies a bit depending on the group.  This Friday are farmers and so most are probably 45 to 70.  The spaghetti dinner will be all ages -- older folks, middle aged, young families with kids between infants and 12.  A scattering of teens.  March 3 is my Master Gardener fund raisers and draws gardeners, but we are primarily the 45 to 70 year old crowd.

The FD dinners are a lot of older folks primarily 50's to 80's.  The most troubling thing is that out VFD are all quickly aging with very few younger folks volunteering.

The March 7 and 22 dinners will be mainly middle aged to older, mostly 50's and 60's with a few older folks in there.
  • #10 by Bar-B-Lew on 15 Feb 2018
  • Interesting mix that must make it challenging to appeal to all of them with menu options.  Great that the two of you can be involved like you are.  I am sure several folks that have gotten a little older in life are happy for someone else to step into their shoes to do the job they may have done for years.
  • #11 by Bentley on 15 Feb 2018
  • What goes well with NASCAR?  Do we concentrate on the Presidents?  So Cherry Pie, that is about all I can think of...President Washington went to a 3 day BBQ in Alexandria one time, so that is a no brainer.  President Lincoln was a semi-lumberjack, so Pancakes and sausage I guess...Totally stumped by NASCAR...Daytona...Bacon wrapped scallops maybe...
  • #12 by Bar-B-Lew on 15 Feb 2018
  • Yesterday, I put the following in the fridge to thaw.  I had bought them all at Sams at some point and they ended up in the freezer.  I will eat it next week, freeze leftovers, and probably give some to my parents so they get a free meal or two.

Pork loin wrapped in bacon
    2 tri tips that are in some sort of rosemary peppercorn marinade
Pages:
Actions