Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: MAK 2 Star - Heating Curve  (Read 5576 times)

MTBob

MAK 2 Star - Heating Curve
« on: February 15, 2018, 01:31:38 PM »

Recently it began to get a bit chilly here in Montana.  So, I decided to try out my new MAK 2 Star and see how quickly it would reach full grilling temperature in subzero conditions.  See the attached heating curve. 
The outside air temperature was minus 7 degrees (-7F), with no wind.  Since I had been testing some settings on the grill, the internal temperature of the grilling cabinet was about 32 degrees. 
As the curve shows, the grill went from 32 to 450 in about 41 minutes and held the temperature.   No doubt with warmer outside temperature the grill would have reached grilling temperature faster.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 01:39:42 PM by MTBob »

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Re: MAK 2 Star - Heating Curve
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 02:03:41 PM »

Thanks. I always liked techie things.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 02:07:55 PM »

i suspect it will be 20-30 minutes to get to that temp on a warm day based on my experience with mine but I have never graphed it.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

rwalters

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 03:25:28 PM »

i suspect it will be 20-30 minutes to get to that temp on a warm day based on my experience with mine but I have never graphed it.
How long would you guess it’d take your Memphis Elite to hit 450° in that cold weather?

rwalters

MAK 2 Star - Heating Curve
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 03:27:45 PM »

Honestly, I am surprised it took 41 mins. The coldest weather I’ve cooked in (California weather) is probably 30°. I’ve never seen my MAK w/ new Funnel Flame Zone take long than 20-25 mins to hit 450°.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 03:33:28 PM by rwalters »

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 03:39:31 PM »

How long would you guess it’d take your Memphis Elite to hit 450° in that cold weather?

Probably about 20-25 minutes.  I rarely cook that high.  I should test them both out one day to see how long they take.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

rwalters

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 03:43:23 PM »

Probably about 20-25 minutes.  I rarely cook that high.  I should test them both out one day to see how long they take.
Although I have no Memphis experience, that’s what I was guessing. Ive had more than one person tell me that they can have their Elite up to 450° within 10-12 mins. Just find that hard to believe.

MTBob

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 05:51:48 PM »

Since I've never owned a pellet grill and know nearly zero about how they are suppose to operate, I have nothing as a reference comparison.  I see from this temperature plot that it took about 15 minutes to reach what is called the "smoke" temperature of the unit, about 175 degrees, apparently the lowest stable temperature the unit can generate.  So, if that's the starting point for ramping up to full grilling temperature, the remaining time to get there (from 175 to 450 degrees) is about 25 minutes. 
Anyway, I thought you'all might find this information interesting / useful.  When it gets cold here (say -20 to -30 below) I'll run another graph and see how that compares.
Thanks for all the comments, interesting feedback.
MTBob

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 07:44:52 PM »

thanks again for sharing...it was great information.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 05:22:35 PM »

A better question is...why is a unit even being turned on when it is -7?  My Mom and Uncles lived in North Western Montana in the late 30's and early 40's...Man, not for me...
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

MTBob

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 06:43:54 PM »

Bently: As a new member of this forum, I was hoping the you'all would not revert to personal insults.  I guess I'm wrong.  As the apparent Administrator of the Pellet Fan forum, part of your job is to set the tone for the postings.  If your comment reflects how this forum operates, it's not for me.
Adios

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 06:59:54 PM »

Bently: As a new member of this forum, I was hoping the you'all would not revert to personal insults.  I guess I'm wrong.  As the apparent Administrator of the Pellet Fan forum, part of your job is to set the tone for the postings.  If your comment reflects how this forum operates, it's not for me.
Adios

Hmmm. I've been following this thread and didn't see any personal insults aimed at you - Maybe it was removed already? Or did you misinterpret something?

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2018, 07:03:07 PM »

yikes...i just have to shake my head and bite my lip sometime

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2018, 07:10:04 PM »

I was not intending to insult you.  I cant imagine going outside when it is 7°, much less when it has a - in front of it.  My comment about my relatives was aimed at the condition they faced in a small farm house when electricity had not even come to what at that time was a rural area, I am to soft to have ever been able to make it! 

Stick around, you might enjoy the site!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2018, 07:11:06 PM »

I think he was insulted by the fact that Bentley wondered why one would be out cooking in -7 degree weather.  So many things anymore that one is to tread lightly on.  Well, if that is the expectation better to leave because we are not very sensitive to that kind of stuff.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up