Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bar-B-Lew on 17 Feb 2018
  • What would you want to see tested on a MAK sear grate?  I may do a review once it warms up a bit.
  • #2 by rwalters on 17 Feb 2018
  • Steak and/or burgers cooked at 450 or Grill setting. Also something like simple chicken thighs or breasts cooked at a higher grilling temp.
  • #3 by Bar-B-Lew on 17 Feb 2018
  • Steak and/or burgers cooked at 450 or Grill setting. Also something like simple chicken thighs or breasts cooked at a higher grilling temp.

What would you want to know about the cook and the use of the sear grate versus the regular grate?  Maybe I could do a side by side.
  • #4 by rwalters on 17 Feb 2018
  • The appearance it gives to the food vs the standard grates.
  • #5 by Bar-B-Lew on 17 Feb 2018

Maybe I will throw some frozen burgers on while I have the grill going this afternoon.
  • #6 by rwalters on 17 Feb 2018

Maybe I will throw some frozen burgers on while I have the grill going this afternoon.
    I’ll be watching :)
  • #7 by Bar-B-Lew on 17 Feb 2018
  • Just threw on 2 porterhouse steaks.
  • #8 by Bar-B-Lew on 17 Feb 2018

• Grill set to 450°.  Wifi temp reading 440° after sear grate on grill for 15 minutes after it was sitting in ambient outside temp of ~36°

Steaks just place on grill

Steaks after about 8 minutes before flip

Steaks after flip

Steaks pulled after another 7 minutes.  Test aborted due to grease fire on right side and fire shooting out the grease drain.  I knew better and should have just continued my burn off and not adding grease to the mix.

Oh well, I think you can see the sear grate works better than the standard grill grates from a marking standpoint.
  • #9 by Kristin Meredith on 17 Feb 2018
  • Obviously those are ruined.  Please overnight to me :pig:
  • #10 by rwalters on 17 Feb 2018
  • Big difference! Boy, I’m thinking a nice grease fire is the ticket to a mean sear on the MAK...lol.
  • #11 by Bar-B-Lew on 17 Feb 2018
  • Pics from the small fillet side of each steak

Steak on the Sear Grate

Steak that got the extra grease fire char
  • #12 by Bar-B-Lew on 17 Feb 2018
  • Big difference.  Now I see where the post re grease pans and high heat came from! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That is only one example. :(

And next time I need to take the side smoke chamber off when cooking at that high of heat.  I think I created some paint damage on the left side of the box.
  • #13 by rwalters on 17 Feb 2018
  • Big difference.  Now I see where the post re grease pans and high heat came from! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That is only one example. :(

And next time I need to take the side smoke chamber off when cooking at that high of heat.  I think I created some paint damage on the left side of the box.
    Huh? Take the side smoke box off (the cold smoke box add-on? Damage? Pics?
  • #14 by Bar-B-Lew on 17 Feb 2018
  • Fire was shooting out the side of the grill and hitting the tall smoke box chamber.  There looks to be some discoloration of the outside of the chamber about the size of a softball, but no damage that should prevent the usage of it.
  • #15 by rwalters on 17 Feb 2018
  • Fire was shooting out the side of the grill and hitting the tall smoke box chamber.  There looks to be some discoloration of the outside of the chamber about the size of a softball, but no damage that should prevent the usage of it.
    Bummer :(
Pages:
Actions