Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AMP Usage of Pellet Grills  (Read 6824 times)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
AMP Usage of Pellet Grills
« on: February 17, 2018, 12:20:36 PM »

I bought a device that goes into your outlet and then you plug something into it to check the amps and other electrical measurements.  I think it can even track electrical consumption too.  I bought it to understand how much some appliances are drawing so I know how many I can run off the same breaker - steam table, roaster, dehydrator, etc.  I tried it on the MAK 2 today and plan to try on my Memphis later today.

Startup 2.8 amps
Auger running 0.6 amps
No auger running 0.2 amps

Anyone have any experience on their grills?  I am curious if the grill only has a 2.8 amp draw on startup why you couldn't start 2 of them at the same time on a 15 or 20 amp breaker.  Maybe you folks that know electrical stuff can chime in.

For reference, my Cabella's dehydrator set at 160° drew 8.4 amps.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 12:37:28 PM by Bar-B-Lew »
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Jcorwin818

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • 10th SFG (Lenexa, Ks)
Re: AMP Usage of Pellet Grills
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 01:11:37 PM »

As long as you don’t exceed the breakers you are ok.  At some of our competitions we only had 10 amp service and my son and I would start both our 075 Traegers at the same time with no issues.
Traeger 075 Texas (USA) WSM 22" Weber Kettle Weber Spirit 310

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
Re: AMP Usage of Pellet Grills
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 01:57:22 PM »

336W is a lot of power for a pit but not outrageous. I'm guessing that my DC draws less than 120W. Probably has less fans and smaller ignitor/auger motor.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas
Pages: [1]   Go Up