Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: When I tell people about my pellet grill...  (Read 1657 times)

MMike

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Having fun!
When I tell people about my pellet grill...
« on: February 17, 2018, 01:48:07 PM »

When I tell people about my pellet grill they just nod and say "that's nice".
Why don't more people buy these wonderful machines?
Yoder 640s

rwalters

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
Re: When I tell people about my pellet grill...
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 02:00:03 PM »

$$$ vs your <$200 Home Depot/Lowe’s gas grill.  Either you get it or you don’t... have an interest in outdoor cooking or not. If you have one iota of interest in outdoor cooking, I feel it’s just a matter of time for many before the light bulb goes on for them.

For me, years ago when I bought my 1st Traeger, it was actually sticking my head inside another guys Traeger after being encouraged to take a big whiff. No joke... that’s all it took. My grill did not smell like that, and I was bent on fixing that the moment I smelled his pit...lol.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 05:27:03 PM »

For those that have known me awhile, I am tight...This was my mind set.

If I had not cooked many times on my friends Traeger 075 for 4 years prior to my 1st purchase,  there is no way I spend $800 in 2002 on an 075.  Would have been laughable to think of spending that kind of money on a "BBQ".  But I knew what they could do, and I had just found out about BBQ Competitions and I knew they were the answer to success!

$$$ vs your <$200 Home Depot/Lowe’s gas grill.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Conumdrum

• I love cooking good food for friends and family
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 05:38:34 PM »

They don't want to cook lots for friends and family or just don't have the time or like shooting guns, racing cars, got kids, too many bills instead of buying a $1000+ cooking utensil besides the quick propane grill.

Who knows.  It's about the food that's cooked and if they like it.  I have so many come over and pick up a pork butt ( I do 6 at once) and I show my magic Yoder. This has been going on for over 3 years.  They go cool............... :-\.  3 months later they text me and when you doing more butts?

It's about the food.  All like to eat, few enjoy the journey to make it like we do.  I love my Yoder, it makes it easy to make it right.  And I love my wife of 32 years, she is right for me!
Started with Masterbuilt 30 analog, now my cold smoker Got a YS640 3+ years, happy camper Got a Weber performer with a Vortex, best charcoal grill ever Sold my gasser, Retired, gardening, clean, cook.Life is good!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 05:59:57 PM »

The dealer who I bought my first pellet grill from, Traeger XL, let me borrow a Traeger for about 2 weeks over 3 weekends including Easter weekend.  After I first tried it, the meat was so much more moist than on my Weber Summit with the built in smoker box on the side of the grates, and so much easier to use.  I cooked meat that 4 different neighbors brought over during that time and they were all blown away.  I was sold after that and bought the biggest backyard model that Traeger sold at the time.  I bought 3 others after that.  Just something about the flavor and ease of use that makes it money well spent.  I plan to finally sell my last propane grill, Weber Spirit, this Spring to a buddy that still thinks he needs propane because he doesn't want to ante up for a pellet grill.  Unfortunately, I convinced myself I needed a propane griddle/grill because no pellet manufacturer has made a free standing pellet griddle.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 06:01:08 PM »

I've had folks ask me to write the names of different manufacturers down so they can look into them.  Two of my wife's coworkers have bought pellet grill for their husbands so far.  I'm looking forward to going back to a facility to check with one of the fellas I interviewed.  His son rodeos and he was talking about cooking on a small gasser he uses and hates.  Told him about the GMG Davy Crockett and he was all excited about it.  And of course I tell everyone about Pellet Fan.  :cool:

And then some folks nod and say "That's nice".
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 06:05:12 PM »

Old dogs don't like new tricks.  They like to Q but don't want to learn a new discipline.  They can be devoted grillers but don't have a clue about smoking. 

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 06:54:18 PM »

I do not believe Pellets would ever be able to compete with gas or electricity in this regard.  Electricity would be my 1st choice, just because I know the het control is superior.  Kristin watches all these home show, and I watch the cooking shows.  All the wanna be cooks that say they just cant have that house became it has electricity in the kitchen.  Then I will see chefs simmering on there griddle flat tops, ya know why, because you cant simmer on an open flame...no matter how low it is!  Heat source can't be constant to simmer correctly!

So, if I had room and cooked breakfast for anyone any more...I would have one of those big electric flat top griddles, you bet...and it would be Cheesesteaks and teppanyaki heaven along with wonderful breakfasts!

Unfortunately, I convinced myself I needed a propane griddle/grill because no pellet manufacturer has made a free standing pellet griddle.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 07:00:19 PM »

Then I guess I made a good choice. ;D

Can't wait to get it assembled and make some cheeseteaks and grilled potatoes and onions.  Chicken or beef frozen and thinly sliced cheesesteak meats are about $3.50/# here for a ten pound box portioned into 1/4# (I think but need to confirm) sections with wax paper in between so you can break off what you want to cook.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 09:55:38 PM »

I am curious though, I don't think it matters on a griddle as much, cuz I cook on the one at the fire station and it is natural gas...Is yours a gas unit?

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2018, 10:07:25 PM »

https://www.campchef.com/flat-top-grills-new/flat-top-grill.html

i bought this but have not assembled it yet

Chris__M

• Food Adventure
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 10:42:10 AM »

Most of my friends who saw my old Traeger were really impressed (both with what it does and the food it produced), but were put off by the price. (Note: in the UK these grills are even more expensive than in the US)

Since getting my GMG DC, a lot more friends have been considering getting one. It is a better, less intimidating, size for people who have never had a proper grill before, and suitable for family grilling. Plus the price point here in the UK is a lot more reasonable - because the DC is based on 12V components, there is no need for the supplier to re-engineer the grill, replacing the internal 110V parts for 240V ones.
Chris LG FS Legacy 1200, GMG Davy Crockett, OnlyFire Tabletop Pellet Grill, Weber Smokey Joe, ProQ Cold Smoking Cabinet

wilpark

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2018, 03:34:31 PM »

Most of my friends and family live in NYC in apartments w/o proper outdoor space nor the time it takes to smoke.  And up north smoking is a foreign concept.

When I have friends over they love the equipment but seem interested in getting their own.

I balked at the price initially amd.wanted to get an insulated vertical smoker. Then I found a Craigslist post selling a GMG JB Stainless with wifi for $500.00 and a Saffire Grills Kamado for another $500.00.  Loved the kamado but was too small.  Traded that for a year old rectec 680rt.

I bought 2 large pellet grills for $1000.00. I was happy  but wife wasn't.  Now she loves the food so no Complaints

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 03:41:35 PM by wilpark »

dk117

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2018, 03:52:12 PM »

Most of my friends and family live in NYC in apartments w/o proper outdoor space nor the time it takes to smoke.  And up north smoking is a foreign concept.

I will grant you that not everyone has the luxury of space, but no time?   That's just sad.  We all have time, we choose how to use it. 

DK

(PS I'm trying to convince myself on time management.  I choose to make the time for BBQ.  I do fail in other time management areas.)

wilpark

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2018, 04:36:30 PM »

I will grant you that not everyone has the luxury of space, but no time?   That's just sad.  We all have time, we choose how to use it. 

DK

(PS I'm trying to convince myself on time management.  I choose to make the time for BBQ.  I do fail in other time management areas.)
I tend to agree with you.  However, NYC is a whole other world.  Just to survive most folks cannot  just work 40 hr workweeks with weekends off. Many of my friends work 80 hr plus  weeks.

I have time now because I'm at home with the kids. But once I start work again, not sure how much time.i will have.  Glad to have a wifi pellet grill for when I get back to working.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up