Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by ZCZ on 12 Feb 2018
  • I tried an 18 x 18 that I got at Home Depot but it cracked down the middle after the first use.
    I have a round cast iron skillet I use.  Works great and keeps the pizza warm while you are eating.
    Z
  • #17 by ksupaul on 12 Feb 2018
  • We looked for an unglazed ceramic tile to use as a heat disperser in our RV oven. We had a hard time. Everything was glazed or coated if you read the boxes in some form. Was told to go to a tile wharehouse. In the short term I finally found a pizza stone that was square and small enough to fit perfectly in the oven without covering up the perimeter holes your not supposed to cover. Anyway my point being the unglazed ceramic tile was what we looked for, just wasn’t easy to find.
  • #18 by Canadian John on 13 Feb 2018
  •  Old and slow. Forgot this one:
      FIRE BRICKS. The kind used to line fireplaces etc. They come in a 1/2 thickness size that is perfect.  Just lay them on the cooking grid and go..
  • #19 by ArborAgent on 13 Feb 2018
  • Old and slow. Forgot this one:
      FIRE BRICKS. The kind used to line fireplaces etc. They come in a 1/2 thickness size that is perfect.  Just lay them on the cooking grid and go..

I'm always surprised at how expensive fire bricks are. It's kept me from buying any.
  • #20 by bregent on 13 Feb 2018
  • I have 4 different pizza stones that I have collected over the past 25+ years - none have ever cracked. They're fairly inexpensive these days. I tried a steel but it wasn't for me and will not work good in some applications. Steel transfers heat much more rapidly than ceramic or stone. In a pellet grill, where top heat is already a problem, you might end up with bottom crust that cooks much faster than the top. This goes for stones as well, but can really be exacerbated with a steel.

Last year I tested a product for a kickstarter operator call mighty pizza stone. The concept is that rather than increasing top heat, it has a diffuser to reduce bottom heat which results in a more balanced heat. It work very well in both the Memphis and my Weber gasser.
  • #21 by lamrith on 13 Feb 2018
  • I use a steel I got from Amazon.  Super affordable, and puts out more heat than ceramic and will not crack.  The biggest issue with steel is proper care between cooks.  They do not do well in humid climates if left outside.
  • #22 by Bentley on 13 Feb 2018
  • For the record, mine did not crack, I broke them by accident, even the cheap ones...
  • #23 by pmillen on 17 Feb 2018
  • How about soapstone?  The Kamado Joe ceramic grill offers a soapstone accessory to cook on.  It must be able to withstand rapid heating and cooling.

It seems to me that someone would have discovered its suitability as a pizza stone if it were a good one.  Does anyone know anything about it?
  • #24 by Bar-B-Lew on 17 Feb 2018
  • For the record, mine did not crack, I broke them by accident, even the cheap ones...

do we want to know those stories ;)
  • #25 by Bentley on 17 Feb 2018
  • Looks like a pretty good stone, need to see if I can find any remnant's anywhere!

How about soapstone? 
Pages:
Actions