Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Why Do Weather Forecasters Get a Pass?  (Read 1171 times)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Why Do Weather Forecasters Get a Pass?
« on: February 17, 2018, 07:46:18 PM »

When I woke up this morning, the local forecast was 3-6 inches of snow starting at 7pm and going through until about 7am tomorrow.  Well, it started to flurry around 4pm.  I just walked outside and took this picture about 7:30pm (30 minutes after the storm was supposed to start according to the forecast this morning).  If I missed my forecast at worked by as much as these guys may miss their's I would surely be fired.  Good thing I cooked before the storm started (albeit I had a grease fire on one grill during a test ;)).

This of course is an unofficial calculation on top of my grills. :rotf:

Oh, and not sure what this means to you that this storm is headed toward after it leaves my area.

MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

dclord

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Re: Why Do Weather Forecasters Get a Pass?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 08:07:51 PM »

I've heard that always saying that tomorrow will be just like today will be accurate more often than any weather report.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

silverbullet

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I thought my House was Child Proof then one got in
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 12:01:39 AM »

Weatherman has been wrong a few times this winter here in Central Wisconsin. To our benefit we havent had the snow they have forcasted or the storms have shifted before it reached here. Flip side to that is its been really cold here these past 3 months. Much colder than normal.
GMG DC Camp Chef WW24

Bobitis

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 12:30:23 AM »

Barring a few very strong fronts, the weather in the Puget Sound region is quite difficult to predict. Heck... you can check a few different news stations and none of them agree as to the forecast. Yes, it will be wet. How wet is up for grabs.

Tomorrow can be pretty accurate ''overall', yet the forecasters can claim temps that are 10 deg different. Our region is unique in the country and has a habit of creating anomalies for predicting the weather. I know of weather stations at Boeing field (maybe 50' above sea level), and SeaTac (about 450').
They are about 10 miles apart and the weather can be quite different. I've driven to werk in the snow, and seen what I can only describe as a wall in the snowfall. It's snowing on the freeway where I'm at, and 20 ft away it's raining. Very odd...

I just check a couple stations, average them, and look out the window. Works every time.
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

riverrat49

• "If all else Fails call it Burnt Endz" Spokane, WA
    • G-Pa D's BBQ Team
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 06:50:51 AM »

There is almost 200 miles of open ground between Snoqualmie and Spokane, yet NWS still can't predict the proper weather approaching our area  :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Barring a few very strong fronts, the weather in the Puget Sound region is quite difficult to predict. Heck... you can check a few different news stations and none of them agree as to the forecast. Yes, it will be wet. How wet is up for grabs.

Tomorrow can be pretty accurate ''overall', yet the forecasters can claim temps that are 10 deg different. Our region is unique in the country and has a habit of creating anomalies for predicting the weather. I know of weather stations at Boeing field (maybe 50' above sea level), and SeaTac (about 450').
They are about 10 miles apart and the weather can be quite different. I've driven to werk in the snow, and seen what I can only describe as a wall in the snowfall. It's snowing on the freeway where I'm at, and 20 ft away it's raining. Very odd...

I just check a couple stations, average them, and look out the window. Works every time.
World Food Championship Culinary Team- 2016, 2017, 2018 Taste of America Challenge Champion- 2016/2018 World Food Championship Judge Competition Pitmaster/ Certified BBQ Judge

MysticRhythms

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 11:25:28 AM »

There is almost 200 miles of open ground between Snoqualmie and Spokane, yet NWS still can't predict the proper weather approaching our area  :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Amen to that.
And to top it off, when you watch on Monday and they say look for 10 inches of snow overnight and you get nothing. When they came back on Tuesday night they don't even mention the previous forecast. Act like they never said it.
Don't ask me, I'm just improvising. 
PG500

Conumdrum

• I love cooking good food for friends and family
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 07:51:45 PM »

Weather forecasters (not the silly communication degree and no future ones we see on TV) have 4-8-12 years of school.  And in the top USA labs and EU millions of $$$$$ computing power to monitor and forecast the weather,

It works for giant areas like the NW or the SE.  Small areas that have been mentioned in previous posts it's hard to do.  The science is working on it.

I suggest if it really bothers you send your kids with a Masters in Math to a Weather school.  And pay more taxes to improve our system to allow these geniuses to have the radar and satellites to do better.  Might want to add some to the FAA so planes don't crash.  We are years behind other countries.

Other wise, look out the window and hope.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 07:53:51 PM by Conumdrum »
Started with Masterbuilt 30 analog, now my cold smoker Got a YS640 3+ years, happy camper Got a Weber performer with a Vortex, best charcoal grill ever Sold my gasser, Retired, gardening, clean, cook.Life is good!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 07:59:37 PM »

Weather forecasters (not the silly communication degree and no future ones we see on TV) have 4-8-12 years of school.  And in the top USA labs and EU millions of $$$$$ computing power to monitor and forecast the weather,

It works for giant areas like the NW or the SE.  Small areas that have been mentioned in previous posts it's hard to do.  The science is working on it.

I suggest if it really bothers you send your kids with a Masters in Math to a Weather school.  And pay more taxes to improve our system to allow these geniuses to have the radar and satellites to do better.  Might want to add some to the FAA so planes don't crash.  We are years behind other countries.

How do you really feel?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bobitis

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 08:32:13 PM »

<sigh>

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

ArborAgent

• Hank Hill would be so disappointed in me.
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 08:44:58 PM »

I’m with conundrum!

Modern weather forecasting is a science and mathematic marvel. Unfortunately the US is behind in modeling capability.

The European model tends to do better but still, modeling at the global scale is an incredible problem.
Rec Tec Bull Blaze Gas Grill Weber Master Touch

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 11:22:12 PM »

I know we are a good 6 weeks at a minimum before we are at the wow that is a late snow date...but 2nd year in a row with zero snow for the winter...I just do not consider 1 inch of snow, twice this year as snow days!  Bums me out, I look forward to doing this and have been shut out for 2 years!

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

MP09

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 09:34:12 AM »

When I was a kid the talk was within the next 20 years we will be able to predict the weather 100%. 50 years later, still waiting...
BGW Grid Iron and a bunch of old gassers "now retired"

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 09:48:12 AM »

Not the fault of the weather forecasters, but it was over 80° here yesterday for the first time in the month of February since they have been recording temps.  Of course, it has dropped back to the 30's and 40's already.

Conumdrum

• I love cooking good food for friends and family
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2018, 07:22:11 PM »

How do you really feel?

Peeps complain without knowing why.  That's why science and keeping up on it matters, and funding it matters.  Knowing how to cook a brisket perfectly is one thing.  Understanding what goes on outside of a business or a backyard BBQ is another. 

No offense, but I'm a science guy and realize folks might not understand the behind the science part of weather.  Weather is day to day, area by area, climate is year to year, just as a comment.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 07:24:54 PM by Conumdrum »
Started with Masterbuilt 30 analog, now my cold smoker Got a YS640 3+ years, happy camper Got a Weber performer with a Vortex, best charcoal grill ever Sold my gasser, Retired, gardening, clean, cook.Life is good!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2018, 07:42:21 PM »

How do you really feel?

Peeps complain without knowing why.  That's why science and keeping up on it matters, and funding it matters.  Knowing how to cook a brisket perfectly is one thing.  Understanding what goes on outside of a business or a backyard BBQ is another. 

No offense, but I'm a science guy and realize folks might not understand the behind the science part of weather.  Weather is day to day, area by area, climate is year to year, just as a comment.

I would prefer to be considered more than a peep, thank you.  You have no idea what my background, education, or IQ may be.

If I offended you because it is your profession, then just state that.  If so, I apologize.

I deserve the right to have an opinion as much as you do.  Don't resort to calling me a peep.  I do not see anywhere in my original post where I labeled a weather forecaster, weather reporter, or scientist anything.  You should do the same in my opinion.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up