Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Chashub on 17 Feb 2018
  • I'm not sure why this thought crossed my mind, but here it is-has anyone who has purchased a large amount of pellets had any problem with termites?
    Charlie
  • #2 by silverbullet on 17 Feb 2018
  • I've been heating my homes since 1992 with wood pellets have burned many a ton. BBQ'ing with Pellets since 2008. Never seen a one!  8)
  • #3 by Jcorwin818 on 18 Feb 2018
  • Seeing pellets come in sealed plastic bags and the way they are manufactured the termites would be coming from your house and you would have a bigger problem.
  • #4 by triplebq on 18 Feb 2018
  • No issues. I just had my annual termite inspection and everything is AOK.
  • #5 by Canadian John on 18 Feb 2018
  •  I don't believe termites would be a problem due to them requiring moisture to digest cellulose . They can get it from the air if it had enough humidity. As pellets are relative dry and hopefully stored that way, termite infested pellets shouldn't happen..Possibly in a very damp environment they could. There are several kinds of termites..The ones that could infest pellets would be the dry variety.  :2cents:
  • #6 by Bentley on 18 Feb 2018
  • Very thought provoking question...and this comment, gets me to thinking is the composition of the pellet the same as a log or even board lumber.  Is the composition of that cellulose even the same.

I don't believe termites would be a problem due to them requiring moisture to digest cellulose .
  • #7 by MP09 on 18 Feb 2018
  • Termites? If they would get into your stash I'd give them a new home in the burn pot...
  • #8 by Chashub on 19 Feb 2018
  • They would add some protein!
  • #9 by TechMOGogy on 19 Feb 2018
  • Depends where you are.
    In the south termites are subterranean termites and the wood either has to have contact with the ground or they build mud tubes up to the wood (ie in a crawl space). The termites die if exposed to air and that’s why you often find phone books or full boards with the inside eaten but from the outside they look fine.
    Pellets sealed in bags with reduced moisture content and after high heat compression would not be a big draw for termites.
Pages:
Actions