Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Traeger Igniter - Hot Rod replacement  (Read 5965 times)

jjjscharf

Traeger Igniter - Hot Rod replacement
« on: February 18, 2018, 10:04:22 AM »

I have a very old Traeger BBQ124 - 3 position switch (Smoke - Med - High).  I replaced the hot rod yesterday because it was causing the GFI to trip.   However, the new hot rod is not igniting the pellets.  Its gets warm, but not hot, and certainly never glows red.   I bought the replacement hot rod from Ace Hardware and they are a Traeger dealer.   

Called Traeger support...  they said the hot rod should be 300 watts, but the replacement i bought is stamped 200 watts...  They also said sometimes you have to turn the unit on and off 2 or 3 times before the new hot rod will actually get hot enough to ignite the pellets..  not sure why that would be the case, but tried it anyway - no change...

I suppose its possible i just got lucky, and perhaps the replacement is just a bad part, so I'll return it and get a new one today.   

Anyone have any insight on hot rods?  Seen any bad ones right from new stock?  Any suggestions for t-shooting? 

Thanks Much :)

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Re: Traeger Igniter - Hot Rod replacement
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 12:15:47 PM »

I did a search and found the Traeger hot rod to be 300 watts.  That is what I remember when I had my Lil Tex.. I would take the 200 w H R back and make sure the replacement is 300 watts.. Keep the receipt as Traeger has or at least had a 1 year warranty on replacement parts..Sometimes igniter life can be short.

dk117

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 09:33:28 AM »

it's been several years (5 plus?) since we all talked about the bad hot rod inventory.   Possible you got one, but I assume we're beyond that bad batch. 

8 years on my Texas and on my second hot rod. 

DK

Jcorwin818

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • 10th SFG (Lenexa, Ks)
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 04:05:29 PM »

My 075 Texas is 10 years old and I’m on my second Hot Rod, I checked my 2 spares I carry with me and they are both 200 watt.
I called Trager and spoke with Danny and was informed they are still using 200 watt Hot Rods but the new ones do not get cherry red like the old ones because it increases the life of the hot Rod.
So bottom line is if you buy a replacement it is going to be a 200 watt from Trager.

Jim
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 07:33:59 PM by Jcorwin818 »
Traeger 075 Texas (USA) WSM 22" Weber Kettle Weber Spirit 310

Canadian John

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 09:14:35 AM »

I have a very old Traeger BBQ124 - 3 position switch (Smoke - Med - High).  I replaced the hot rod yesterday because it was causing the GFI to trip.   However, the new hot rod is not igniting the pellets.  Its gets warm, but not hot, and certainly never glows red.   I bought the replacement hot rod from Ace Hardware and they are a Traeger dealer.   

Called Traeger support...  they said the hot rod should be 300 watts, but the replacement i bought is stamped 200 watts...  They also said sometimes you have to turn the unit on and off 2 or 3 times before the new hot rod will actually get hot enough to ignite the pellets..  not sure why that would be the case, but tried it anyway - no change...

I suppose its possible i just got lucky, and perhaps the replacement is just a bad part, so I'll return it and get a new one today.   

Anyone have any insight on hot rods?  Seen any bad ones right from new stock?  Any suggestions for t-shooting? 

Thanks Much :)

Has your problem been Resolved? I f so what was the cause?
 Just thinking: 1st - Is there power going to the hot rod? Not sure about the 3 position switch controller. The digital controllers power the hot rod for 3 or 4 minutes @ start-up. I don't recall the exact #..You'll have to check the " on" time with a meter or a light. Just make sure it goes on and stays..Almost positive it is 4 min..2nd - Fire pot condition:Are there elongated holes or rusted out areas? That is about it.

ArborAgent

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Hank Hill would be so disappointed in me.
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 01:19:53 PM »

I would throw money at the first company to come up with a drop in ceramic replacement for the old school igniter.
Rec Tec Bull Blaze Gas Grill Weber Master Touch

jjjscharf

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 06:09:24 PM »

Thanks for all the replies...  Interesting that Traeger support provided two different answers on the wattage...  The hot rod would get warm, too warm to hold in your hand, never glowed red, but the pellets would never light.   Pellets are dry, so dont think thats an issue..  I just returned the hot rod and have not purchased another replacement yet...

The BBQ124 is old and tired looking, some rust on the body, but firepot looks OK.  It was free, and it cooks fine when the hot rod is working...  I've had zero experience with pellet grills until i got this unit last summer...  but lurked around pelletheads and pelletfan for a while before i came across the BBQ124.

Thinking i might sand it down, deal with the rust, and replace the controller, fan (fan still works, but its pretty greased up and dirty), hot rod, etc....  just leave the auger as is - unless i have to change out the motor for some reason...   

Heat shield is warped and has some rust - but again - it seems to cook just fine... so while the replacement stainless steel heat shields look great, not sure i absolutely need to replace it...

Thought about just buying a Blazn Grid Iron - but would be way cheaper to just refurb what i have, understanding it will never be as big as a grid iron...  but it will still cook.

Might give Tim at Blazn Grill Works a call to see if the Blazn pro controller would work in the Traeger.  I think i read something somewhere that said it would, but would involve some cutting on the body to mount the controller. 

Just going with a newer Traeger controller would probably be easier, but still might involve some modifications to make it fit.. 

clearly need to get moving on it - cause i want some ribs! :)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 06:20:08 PM »

You can still use the grill without the hot rod.  Disconnect it and pull it out.

Throw a palm full of pellets in the fire pot.  Get some sort of fire starter stick.  Light it with a match or torch.  Once the pellets start up and you have a raging fire, turn on the pellet grill to about 400°+.  It will slightly push down the fire.  If it kills it, start over until you have a bigger fire before you turn on the grill.  If it stays lit, watch it for 5-10 minutes to ensure it gets raging again with the pellets dropping in the fire pot.  Once you feel comfortable the fire pot is going strong, put all the guts back in the grill and turn the controller to the temp you wish to cook.

I bought a used Blazn a few Summers ago without a hot rod and a controller with an LED that didnt function properly.  I still start it up that way.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Herb

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 08:43:05 AM »

This is an interesting thread.. I just checked my spare hot rods and they are both 200 watts. One is a Traeger part and the other a will fit that I purchased on Amazon for half the price of a Traeger. I have no idea of what wattage the present hot rod installed in my 2007 Pro 124 is but it is a Traeger part. Works well. These things last 2 - 3 years for me so I keep spares on hand. Does anyone know the temperature required to ignite pellets? I'll check the temp of my installed hot rod against the temp that I can achieve with the spares I have. I really don't believe that Traeger would be selling 200 watt hot rods if they were not able to do the job....  :2cents:

Canadian John

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 09:13:56 AM »

Thanks for all the replies...  Interesting that Traeger support provided two different answers on the wattage...  The hot rod would get warm, too warm to hold in your hand, never glowed red, but the pellets would never light.   Pellets are dry, so dont think thats an issue..  I just returned the hot rod and have not purchased another replacement yet...

The BBQ124 is old and tired looking, some rust on the body, but firepot looks OK.  It was free, and it cooks fine when the hot rod is working...  I've had zero experience with pellet grills until i got this unit last summer...  but lurked around pelletheads and pelletfan for a while before i came across the BBQ124.

Thinking i might sand it down, deal with the rust, and replace the controller, fan (fan still works, but its pretty greased up and dirty), hot rod, etc....  just leave the auger as is - unless i have to change out the motor for some reason...   

Heat shield is warped and has some rust - but again - it seems to cook just fine... so while the replacement stainless steel heat shields look great, not sure i absolutely need to replace it...

Thought about just buying a Blazn Grid Iron - but would be way cheaper to just refurb what i have, understanding it will never be as big as a grid iron...  but it will still cook.

Might give Tim at Blazn Grill Works a call to see if the Blazn pro controller would work in the Traeger.  I think i read something somewhere that said it would, but would involve some cutting on the body to mount the controller. 

Just going with a newer Traeger controller would probably be easier, but still might involve some modifications to make it fit.. 

clearly need to get moving on it - cause i want some ribs! :)

Why not go with an Orteck-  TR100 controller @$ 60.00..It comes with an RTD (heat sensor). Orteck is a US company that developed the digital controller for Traeger before they went cheap and sourced from China..It Is a super controller. has a lot of features, one being a 10 min shut-down cycle. It is a drop-in unit as well..There are of us that have converted. Perhaps someone would chime in on the subject...The very detailed owners manual is easily found doing a search.That should provide you with some insight.. The 124 is a wonderful unit that should never have been discontinued..Something to think about.
Pages: [1]   Go Up