Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I do it or should I not...  (Read 11165 times)

rwalters

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
Should I do it or should I not...
« on: February 18, 2018, 12:34:12 PM »

Love LOVE my MAK grill. Love my 26” Weber kettle with Slow n Sear and GrillGrates...it’s a great charcoal grill.  As much as I do like my Weber, I find myself using the MAK for 95% of my cooking (low n slow and grilling). Really the only time I use my Weber is for reverse searing. Pull the meat from the MAK and lay it over screaming hot lump charcoal for a min or two per side.

Here’s what I am thinking about doing...

I could easily sell my Weber setup w/ accessories for $400.  I currently have a few hundred bucks sitting in my BBQ petty cash drawer...lol, and have a few other unused bbq toys that could easily and quickly fetch $200.

If I am really only using my kettle for quick sears, why not buy a nice high end searing machine that’ll be used as a dedicated searing station...and be a LOT quicker and easier then dealing with charcoal (mess and time involved)?  Also, I don’t have a large patio that comfortably fits my current cooking setup, and this would definitely help with that issue too.

I am seriously toying with the idea of buying this and having it on my small stainless table that sits right next to my MAK.

https://www.ottowildegrillers.com/en/

https://youtu.be/ptfVmAGbJOM

It’s pricey at about $1200-1300 with cover.  But I do believe it would be the best searing machine I have ever had, even better then my Weber setup that I really do love. And it appears to be built to last darn near a lifetime.

My entire cooking arsenal would consist of my MAK and the Otto Wilde OTB if I did this... (oh yeah, and my 36” Blackstone griddle that ain’t going anywhere) :)

Thoughts/opinions?

Goosehunter51

Re: Should I do it or should I not...
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 02:26:15 PM »

I think you have this pretty well planned out.  Sounds like it makes since for you, especially on time.  The searer does look to be pretty pricey, but looks solid in construction.
Smokin like a two stack MAK come on!  MAK 2 Star General #3053

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 10:05:12 PM »

RWalters, when you write "sear" are you thinking in terms of–
  • Browning (Maillard reaction)?
  • Black grill marks?
  • Black char?
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

rwalters

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 01:04:14 AM »

RWalters, when you write "sear" are you thinking in terms of–
  • Browning (Maillard reaction)?
  • Black grill marks?
  • Black char?
Great question! This, to me, is the perfect sear... extremely dark all over brown crust. An intense Maillard reaction without charring.

Lantern

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 07:28:37 AM »

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 08:55:02 AM »

This, to me, is the perfect sear... extremely dark all over brown crust. An intense Maillard reaction without charring.

I agree.  I've never done one that well.  Maybe I need to sear them a fraction longer.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

rwalters

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 10:09:01 AM »

I've been toying with a similar idea. Attaching the camp chef sear box to my 1 star.

https://www.campchef.com/smokepro-bbq-sear-box.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAiKrUBRD6ARIsADS2OLmUs8n9Kt3pdqV2_OFjoZPH7OV5x5fs7mGX3WbqeFFCxLxaev54hjoaAskMEALw_wcB
Camp Chef has indeed created a very cool setup with their new sear box!  Have you taken a close look? Are you thinking it would attach to a MAK 1 Star with no issue? If you do it, please take and post a few pics....would love to see.

rwalters

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 10:12:35 AM »

This, to me, is the perfect sear... extremely dark all over brown crust. An intense Maillard reaction without charring.

I agree.  I've never done one that well.  Maybe I need to sear them a fraction longer.
I should probably know this, but how do you cook your steaks?  Do you cook them on your pellet grill, including the searing of them?  I see on your user profile that you are “thinking about renouncing charcoal”??  I’ve been there done that a couple of times. I always seem to find my way back, if for no other reason then it’s searing ability. That’s why I have my eye on this Otto Wilde sear station.  I believe it would outperform charcoal by a mile :)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 10:17:17 AM by rwalters »

Lantern

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 04:29:38 PM »

I've been toying with a similar idea. Attaching the camp chef sear box to my 1 star.

https://www.campchef.com/smokepro-bbq-sear-box.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAiKrUBRD6ARIsADS2OLmUs8n9Kt3pdqV2_OFjoZPH7OV5x5fs7mGX3WbqeFFCxLxaev54hjoaAskMEALw_wcB
Camp Chef has indeed created a very cool setup with their new sear box!  Have you taken a close look? Are you thinking it would attach to a MAK 1 Star with no issue? If you do it, please take and post a few pics....would love to see.

I have a strong feeling that it will require drilling a few holes and either using the bolts that come with the sear box or picking up some from Lowes. I have yet to lay eyes on a sear box to compare...so I MAY have to dive in and use a return policy if it doesn't work out.

I have a Blackstone 36" griddle that gets VERY hot after I put an adjustable regulator on it. It work FANTASTIC for searing steaks. However, the amount of time, propane and SPACE needed to use the Blackstone and the MAK is considerable. That's what got me thinking about using the sear box in the first place.

rwalters

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 04:36:44 PM »

I have a strong feeling that it will require drilling a few holes and either using the bolts that come with the sear box or picking up some from Lowes. I have yet to lay eyes on a sear box to compare...so I MAY have to dive in and use a return policy if it doesn't work out.

I have a Blackstone 36" griddle that gets VERY hot after I put an adjustable regulator on it. It work FANTASTIC for searing steaks. However, the amount of time, propane and SPACE needed to use the Blackstone and the MAK is considerable. That's what got me thinking about using the sear box in the first place.
Kind of the same dilemma that I am in... I too have a 36” Blackstone...love it, but it definitely takes up a lot of space on the patio.  I love the idea of a screaming hot sear station!

For the record, I also have a 17” Blackstone griddle sitting on a 24x24” stainless table that I bought at Costco. It sets right next to my MAK. It’s a sweet setup, but I still am seriously considering the Otto Wilde setup to replace it with. 

Ross77

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 04:37:38 PM »

How about a blow torch.... kidding :rotf:
Rec Tec RT-680 Char-Broil Patio Bistro  MES: Sold WSM: Sold

rwalters

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 04:42:32 PM »

How about a blow torch.... kidding :rotf:
Don’t think the thought hasn’t crossed my mind ;)

rwalters

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 04:58:23 PM »

Got to love a Blackstone griddle!  If you can’t get the sear you want on the Mak, I think the Camp chef sear station or the Otto are good solutions. The Camp chef sear station is a great idea imo. I’m surprised more grill manufacturers haven’t done that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The MAK, especially with the redesigned Flame Zone has proven to be a fantastic grill, one of the best, most even and consistent grills I have cooked on... it works great for everyday grilling... but a searing machine it is not.  I can get a SCREAMING hot sear from my Weber kettle, but the top-down sear on the Otto Wilde, I believe will be superior to almost any other form of searing.  This is what I am after, with consistent results...

Lantern

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 11:36:27 PM »

I wish you guys wouldn't get me searching for things......

Now I have another toy to look into....

https://www.amazon.com/Degree-Broiler-Cooker-Firebrick-Overhead/dp/B009SDQSRY

rwalters

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2018, 11:50:57 PM »

I wish you guys wouldn't get me searching for things......

Now I have another toy to look into....

https://www.amazon.com/Degree-Broiler-Cooker-Firebrick-Overhead/dp/B009SDQSRY
Yep, another great toy to consider! Anything from R&V Works is worth considering, especially their fryers!!! :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up