Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by RemoGaggi on 20 Feb 2018
  • Of course, do it! Looks like the R & V Works CBB Cajun Bayou Broiler is about $880 (free shipping) from Jet.com, while the Otto is $1,200 shipped. 

Decisions, Decisions....  :cool: :clap:

• #17 by pmillen on 20 Feb 2018
  • I should probably know this, but how do you cook your steaks?  Do you cook them on your pellet grill, including the searing of them?  I see on your user profile that you are “thinking about renouncing charcoal”??
    :)  Actually, I'm not considering of renouncing charcoal.  Actually, most of our steaks are cooked over charcoal.  I think we are accustomed to the specific charcoal taste. 

But...I also sous-vide steaks and sear in a pan.  And, rarely, I'll reverse sear in my PG500.
  • #18 by Bar-B-Lew on 20 Feb 2018
  • I should probably know this, but how do you cook your steaks?  Do you cook them on your pellet grill, including the searing of them?  I see on your user profile that you are “thinking about renouncing charcoal”??
    :)  Actually, I'm not considering of renouncing charcoal.  Actually, most of our steaks are cooked over charcoal.  I think we are accustomed to the specific charcoal taste. 

But...I also sous-vide steaks and sear in a pan.  And, rarely, I'll reverse sear in my PG500.

I think he mistakenly interpreted the quote you have earned by your post count as being from you and not automatically generated by the forum based on settings.
  • #19 by Goosehunter51 on 20 Feb 2018
  • Should you do it or should you not.  I vote do it, YOLO
  • #20 by rwalters on 20 Feb 2018
    Why is it always so much easier to spend others $$$$? ;)
  • #21 by rwalters on 20 Feb 2018
    I agree..get it and let us know how it works!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    MODS... where are you?!?! I’m starting to feel beat up, almost strong armed into spending on wants vs needs.  Please stop these guys!!!
  • #22 by rwalters on 20 Feb 2018
  • Robb---Why not invest $150 on a MAK Sear Grate first and see how happy you are with the results.  I grill my stuff @ 450F and am more than pleased with the results. See attached photo. The Millard Reaction-which according to Wikipedia:
    The Maillard reaction (/maɪˈjɑːr/ my-YAR; French pronunciation: ​[majaʁ]) is a chemical reaction between amino acids and reducing sugars that gives browned food its distinctive flavor. Seared steaks, pan-fried dumplings, cookies and other kinds of biscuits, breads, toasted marshmallows, as well as many other foods, undergo this reaction. It is named after French chemist Louis-Camille Maillard, who first described it in 1912 while attempting to reproduce biological protein synthesis.[1][2]

The reaction is a form of non-enzymatic browning which typically proceeds rapidly from around 140 to 165 °C (280 to 330 °F). Many recipes will call for an oven temperature high enough to ensure that a Maillard reaction occurs[3]. At higher temperatures, caramelization and subsequently pyrolysis become more pronounced.

Thanks for chiming in, Bruce! :) 

Already have plans to purchase 2 of the MAK sear grates as I truly believe it'll improve my overall grilling experience on the MAK. 

As far as steaks are concerned, I am big on:

1) Quick and intense sear, giving maximum Maillard reaction.  I am always after an intense dark brown all-over crust.
    2) Presentation... as I believe we all eat with our eyes first. 

I am a bit OCD.  I strive really hard to get the absolute best sear I can on my steaks without burning them (dark brown vs black).  I have cooked on a lot of grills (gas, charcoal, wood and pellets)... and to date, my best steaks have come from my Weber kettle with the Slow n Sear attachment.  As good as my results have been on the Weber, I really do believe that a top-down 1500 degree broiler will take me to the next level as far as achieving the sear that I am after -with- consistent results.

With all of this said, I cannot argue with you... the steaks that I have cooked on my MAK have been fantastic!  My only issue is the final sear... and I think that super high heat from the top with no flareups is the answer.
  • #23 by Goosehunter51 on 20 Feb 2018
  • Robb---Why not invest $150 on a MAK Sear Grate first and see how happy you are with the results.  I grill my stuff @ 450F and am more than pleased with the results. See attached photo. The Millard Reaction-which according to Wikipedia:
    The Maillard reaction (/maɪˈjɑːr/ my-YAR; French pronunciation: ​[majaʁ]) is a chemical reaction between amino acids and reducing sugars that gives browned food its distinctive flavor. Seared steaks, pan-fried dumplings, cookies and other kinds of biscuits, breads, toasted marshmallows, as well as many other foods, undergo this reaction. It is named after French chemist Louis-Camille Maillard, who first described it in 1912 while attempting to reproduce biological protein synthesis.[1][2]

The reaction is a form of non-enzymatic browning which typically proceeds rapidly from around 140 to 165 °C (280 to 330 °F). Many recipes will call for an oven temperature high enough to ensure that a Maillard reaction occurs[3]. At higher temperatures, caramelization and subsequently pyrolysis become more pronounced.

Thanks for chiming in, Bruce! :) 

Already have plans to purchase 2 of the MAK sear grates as I truly believe it'll improve my overall grilling experience on the MAK. 

As far as steaks are concerned, I am big on:

1) Quick and intense sear, giving maximum Maillard reaction.  I am always after an intense dark brown all-over crust.
    2) Presentation... as I believe we all eat with our eyes first. 

I am a bit OCD.  I strive really hard to get the absolute best sear I can on my steaks without burning them (dark brown vs black).  I have cooked on a lot of grills (gas, charcoal, wood and pellets)... and to date, my best steaks have come from my Weber kettle with the Slow n Sear attachment.  As good as my results have been on the Weber, I really do believe that a top-down 1500 degree broiler will take me to the next level as far as achieving the sear that I am after -with- consistent results.

With all of this said, I cannot argue with you... the steaks that I have cooked on my MAK have been fantastic!  My only issue is the final sear... and I think that super high heat from the top with no flareups is the answer.

YOLO, just saying
  • #24 by Bar-B-Lew on 20 Feb 2018
  • You could eat a lot of good steaks in Chicago steakhouses for the price of that equipment (this coming from someone who has about $10k of pellet grill equipment  ;))
  • #25 by rwalters on 20 Feb 2018
  • You could eat a lot of good steaks in Chicago steakhouses for the price of that equipment (this coming from someone who has about $10k of pellet grill equipment  ;))
    Not with a family my size (9 daughters, yep 9) and my wife. Needless to say, we don’t eat out to often...lol.
  • #26 by rwalters on 20 Feb 2018
    ...and for the record, and despite the pressure from some of you guys...lol, I still haven’t decided if I am willing to plunk down the $$. Still toying (seriously) with the idea :)
  • #27 by Bar-B-Lew on 20 Feb 2018
    Not with a family my size (9 daughters, yep 9) and my wife. Needless to say, we don’t eat out to often...lol.

Yikes!
  • #28 by Goosehunter51 on 20 Feb 2018

Yikes!

Make that a double Yikes, kind of takes YOLO to a whole other level.
  • #29 by rwalters on 20 Feb 2018

Oh my...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    You could eat a lot of good steaks in Chicago steakhouses for the price of that equipment (this coming from someone who has about $10k of pellet grill equipment  ;))

Yikes!

Make that a double Yikes, kind of takes YOLO to a whole other level.
    You could eat a lot of good steaks in Chicago steakhouses for the price of that equipment (this coming from someone who has about $10k of pellet grill equipment  ;))

Yikes!
    Have heard “yikes” and “oh my” countless times over the years. 8 out of our 9 are adopted from the foster care system. It has NOT been an easy road, but I wouldn’t trade it for the world! We are very blessed :)
  • #30 by RemoGaggi on 20 Feb 2018

• Have heard “yikes” and “oh my” countless times over the years. 8 out of our 9 are adopted from the foster care system. It has NOT been an easy road, but I wouldn’t trade it for the world! We are very blessed :)
    [/quote]

That's awesome!  If you decide to downsize and get the broiler, you can feel free to borrow any of my cookers if you've got a big party/event going on!  You know how to find me!
Pages:
Actions