Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I do it or should I not...  (Read 11268 times)

rwalters

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
Re: Should I do it or should I not...
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2018, 06:09:22 PM »

Have heard “yikes” and “oh my” countless times over the years. 8 out of our 9 are adopted from the foster care system. It has NOT been an easy road, but I wouldn’t trade it for the world! We are very blessed :)

That's awesome!  If you decide to downsize and get the broiler, you can feel free to borrow any of my cookers if you've got a big party/event going on!  You know how to find me!
[/quote]
Thanks, Mike :)

-Robb

Vision

• Using less gas.
  • Baltimore, Maryland
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2018, 06:53:58 PM »

Don't do it. You'll get a better sear with a high (but not crazy high) sear in cast iron with a little butter. Maybe get a portable electric burner.
Mak 1 Star Blackstone 36 WSM 18 Weber OTG

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2018, 07:21:38 PM »

Don't do it. You'll get a better sear with a high (but not crazy high) sear in cast iron with a little butter. Maybe get a portable electric burner.

$60 and would fit on the MAK side shelf
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

rwalters

Should I do it or should I not...
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2018, 07:34:09 PM »

$60 and would fit on the MAK side shelf
Now the pressure is not to buy...lol. Still on the fence as it is a good chunk of $$!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2018, 07:37:52 PM »

try the $60 first
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

rwalters

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2018, 07:40:28 PM »

I have a small gas fired griddle right next to my MAK. Does a great job. I guess I am on a quest for the ultimate sear. 

Bobitis

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2018, 07:46:36 PM »

DANG! Y'all got way more resources than I do. I'm still scraping up for a new dryer element...

I vote for go cheap. Dad was an automobile mechanic. He always said, "start at the beginning (cheapest) option before going forward".

Car won't start? Check the fuse box. Fuse box ok? Check the battery.  Battery ok? Check the ignition wiring. I think you get the idea.

I like kiss. It has served me well for many decades. 
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2018, 05:19:38 PM »

When you sear, are you searing  9 or 10 pieces at a time?  If not..

Folks kind of dismiss the weed burner approach.  I have one, If you ever want, I will try and take a piece of meat, put some butter on it and hit both sided to show you. 
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2018, 05:24:17 PM »

Doesn't Trooper take one of those charcoal chimney starters, put briquettes in it, get it real hot, put a cheap grate over the top and throw his steaks on to sear?

rwalters

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2018, 07:48:55 PM »

When you sear, are you searing  9 or 10 pieces at a time?  If not..

Folks kind of dismiss the weed burner approach.  I have one, If you ever want, I will try and take a piece of meat, put some butter on it and hit both sided to show you.
Doesn't Trooper take one of those charcoal chimney starters, put briquettes in it, get it real hot, put a cheap grate over the top and throw his steaks on to sear?
Yes Bentley, I have a big family and we enjoy entertaining. I often have quite a bit of meat that I am searing.  Doesn’t mean I wouldn’t LOVE to see you sear some groceries with a torch :). And yes Kristin, I have tried the charcoal chimney method. Works great!

rwalters

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2018, 07:51:47 PM »

Well, the more I’ve been thinking about this, the more I think I have decided to keep my current searing device (Weber kettle/Slow n Sear/lump charcoal). It has served me well for years now. The more I think about it... maybe I could add 10% to the quality of my sear (that’s a maybe), for a whole lot of cost. Just not worth it.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2018, 08:01:43 PM »

Well, the more I’ve been thinking about this, the more I think I have decided to keep my current searing device (Weber kettle/Slow n Sear/lump charcoal). It has served me well for years now. The more I think about it... maybe I could add 10% to the quality of my sear (that’s a maybe), for a whole lot of cost. Just not worth it.

Thanks for entertaining us with your idea though.  I enjoyed the multiple options that surfaced.  Might be worthwhile to move this out of the MAK section and into something more related to Searing Equipment.

rwalters

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2018, 08:41:46 PM »

Thanks for entertaining us with your idea though.  I enjoyed the multiple options that surfaced.  Might be worthwhile to move this out of the MAK section and into something more related to Searing Equipment.
On a MAK related note, I decided that I am going to remain in a long term monogamous relationship with my MAK. Decided to treat her to new MAK searing grates. Should arrive Friday. She’s gonna be soooo excited! :)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2018, 08:48:13 PM »

I'm glad my fire helped you make a decision. :-[

rwalters

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2018, 08:58:03 PM »

I'm glad my fire helped you make a decision. :-[
Not sure your fire helped...but if it makes you feel better, I can tell you that it was the determining factor ;)

In all honesty, the MAK is a top performer... it’s actually one of the best “grills” I’ve ever cooked on, and I’ve had a few pretty nice grills. The heat is dead even across the grate when cooking at hot temps, and with the addition of the sear grates, I fully anticipate will give me the exact finished product that I am after. With the Flame Zone covers off, I clocked the cooking surface heat at 640° the other day...plenty hot for basic grilling.  Hard core searing still goes to lump charcoal.

As a smoker, the MAK is the best I’ve ever had...no if’s and or buts :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up