Pit Talk -- Comments and Questions Regarding These Pellet Pits > MAK

Should I do it or should I not...

<< < (2/10) > >>

pmillen:

--- Quote from: rwalters on February 19, 2018, 01:04:14 AM ---This, to me, is the perfect sear... extremely dark all over brown crust. An intense Maillard reaction without charring.

--- End quote ---

I agree.  I've never done one that well.  Maybe I need to sear them a fraction longer.

rwalters:

--- Quote from: Lantern on February 19, 2018, 07:28:37 AM ---I've been toying with a similar idea. Attaching the camp chef sear box to my 1 star.

https://www.campchef.com/smokepro-bbq-sear-box.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAiKrUBRD6ARIsADS2OLmUs8n9Kt3pdqV2_OFjoZPH7OV5x5fs7mGX3WbqeFFCxLxaev54hjoaAskMEALw_wcB

--- End quote ---
Camp Chef has indeed created a very cool setup with their new sear box!  Have you taken a close look? Are you thinking it would attach to a MAK 1 Star with no issue? If you do it, please take and post a few pics....would love to see.

rwalters:

--- Quote from: pmillen on February 19, 2018, 08:55:02 AM ---
--- Quote from: rwalters on February 19, 2018, 01:04:14 AM ---This, to me, is the perfect sear... extremely dark all over brown crust. An intense Maillard reaction without charring.

--- End quote ---

I agree.  I've never done one that well.  Maybe I need to sear them a fraction longer.

--- End quote ---
I should probably know this, but how do you cook your steaks?  Do you cook them on your pellet grill, including the searing of them?  I see on your user profile that you are “thinking about renouncing charcoal”??  I’ve been there done that a couple of times. I always seem to find my way back, if for no other reason then it’s searing ability. That’s why I have my eye on this Otto Wilde sear station.  I believe it would outperform charcoal by a mile :)

Lantern:

--- Quote from: rwalters on February 19, 2018, 10:09:01 AM ---
--- Quote from: Lantern on February 19, 2018, 07:28:37 AM ---I've been toying with a similar idea. Attaching the camp chef sear box to my 1 star.

https://www.campchef.com/smokepro-bbq-sear-box.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAiKrUBRD6ARIsADS2OLmUs8n9Kt3pdqV2_OFjoZPH7OV5x5fs7mGX3WbqeFFCxLxaev54hjoaAskMEALw_wcB

--- End quote ---
Camp Chef has indeed created a very cool setup with their new sear box!  Have you taken a close look? Are you thinking it would attach to a MAK 1 Star with no issue? If you do it, please take and post a few pics....would love to see.

--- End quote ---

I have a strong feeling that it will require drilling a few holes and either using the bolts that come with the sear box or picking up some from Lowes. I have yet to lay eyes on a sear box to compare...so I MAY have to dive in and use a return policy if it doesn't work out.

I have a Blackstone 36" griddle that gets VERY hot after I put an adjustable regulator on it. It work FANTASTIC for searing steaks. However, the amount of time, propane and SPACE needed to use the Blackstone and the MAK is considerable. That's what got me thinking about using the sear box in the first place.

rwalters:

--- Quote from: Lantern on February 19, 2018, 04:29:38 PM ---
--- Quote from: rwalters on February 19, 2018, 10:09:01 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I have a strong feeling that it will require drilling a few holes and either using the bolts that come with the sear box or picking up some from Lowes. I have yet to lay eyes on a sear box to compare...so I MAY have to dive in and use a return policy if it doesn't work out.

I have a Blackstone 36" griddle that gets VERY hot after I put an adjustable regulator on it. It work FANTASTIC for searing steaks. However, the amount of time, propane and SPACE needed to use the Blackstone and the MAK is considerable. That's what got me thinking about using the sear box in the first place.

--- End quote ---
Kind of the same dilemma that I am in... I too have a 36” Blackstone...love it, but it definitely takes up a lot of space on the patio.  I love the idea of a screaming hot sear station!

For the record, I also have a 17” Blackstone griddle sitting on a 24x24” stainless table that I bought at Costco. It sets right next to my MAK. It’s a sweet setup, but I still am seriously considering the Otto Wilde setup to replace it with. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version
Mobile View