Pages:
Actions
  • #31 by pmillen on 27 Feb 2018

• Bentley, did you slice these with a knife?
  • #32 by Bentley on 27 Feb 2018
  • Yes.
  • #33 by pmillen on 27 Feb 2018
  • You have the hands of a surgeon.
  • #34 by Bentley on 27 Feb 2018
  • I have always tried to do a little thicker with the slicer then "regular" store bought, but not that much thicker. I am going to try and get these smoked tomorrow.  Then I think I will go with that store bought Wrights type Thick slice.  Maybe a 4-5 setting on my little Chef Choice...Those seem to make wonderful BLT type bacon slices!

I think for the 1st time in 11 years I am happy with my bacon!
  • #35 by yorkdude on 27 Feb 2018
  • Do you have a preference on wet vs. dry
  • #36 by Bentley on 27 Feb 2018
  • I have not had time to get them in the smoke yet.  2 days of drying and tomorrow will be 3...That Pelican will be on them bellies now, huh!  I hope to smoke tomorrow and fry a couple of pieces...other then salt levels, I think they are gonna be a push!
  • #37 by yorkdude on 27 Feb 2018
  • I just presumed that you had smoked them, the last photo was a test fry I presume. Any difference in salt between the two? They ought to take on some serious smoke with a 3 day pellicle, can't wait to hear the final results.
  • #38 by Bentley on 28 Feb 2018
  • I felt the Wet Cured, because I just got lazy and did a brine concentration (6%) for the salt percentage was much saltier (something I like).  But Kristin was just the opposite, she thought the Rub Cure was saltier, and it had the "standard" 2% salt in it! So that makes no sense to me

The Blaz'n Smoker is usually good for about 6 hours, will then Hot Smoke it to 135° IT in the Memphis on 180° and fry some up, maybe today, but may wait a day!

Any difference in salt between the two? They ought to take on some serious smoke with a 3 day pellicle, can't wait to hear the final results.

• #39 by Bentley on 28 Feb 2018
  • Never let Cured Belly Air Dry for 3 days...I am gonna say it helped in Smoke Adhesion!   :pig:  I got scared when I checked at the 5 hour mark due to the color. I would normally have gone 3 more hours with the cold smoke and then Hot Smoke it till 135° IT.   It is in the fridge now, going to have dinner with Karen & Jeff and then will come home, put in freezer and see if I can slice off some and cook!

• #40 by Mudflap on 28 Feb 2018
  • man that looks good :pig: :pig:

Mudflap
  • #41 by yorkdude on 28 Feb 2018
  • Hate to guess here but wet cure is left?
    Both of them truly look outstanding, they really do.
    It has been a while since mine looked that good out of the pellet grill.
    Either way I am going to let them dry longer next time, very nice.
  • #42 by Bentley on 28 Feb 2018
  • Wet is on the right in both photos...And I will freeze and slice I hope tomorrow and we will see if I have a preference on taste!
  • #43 by Michael_NW on 28 Feb 2018
  • Those are gorgeous, Bentley. You're producing some awesome bacon!
  • #44 by Bentley on 01 Mar 2018
  • The color is wonderful...But it is way to much...I gotta go back to just warm smoking em in the Daniel Boone!
  • #45 by Michael_NW on 01 Mar 2018
  • If you're warm smoking them, do you still need to form a pellicle? Or is pellicle formation mostly helpful for smoke adhesion during cold smoking?
Pages:
Actions