Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bentley on 18 Feb 2018
  • Here we go again! 

An 8.8lb. Belly, and a lousy one at that from a thickness standpoint.  Cut in half, one side 2037 gram, the other 1995 grams. Both Wet and Rub Cure Calculation were based on 2000 grams.

• #2 by Bentley on 18 Feb 2018
  • Rub cure is 5g Cure# 1, 55g of salt and 20g of sugar, about 1/3 of rub on fat side, 2/3 on meat side, in bag and will turn every 2 days.

Wet cure is 1/4 cup Cure#1, 1 cup salt, 1/2 cup sugar and 1 gallon water.  Will also turn every 2 days.

• #3 by Bentley on 18 Feb 2018
  • Will cure for 7 days and if I can be rigorously honest...We will see if  have a preference!
  • #4 by Bentley on 18 Feb 2018
  • yorkdude did you get my PM?
  • #5 by yorkdude on 18 Feb 2018
  • No unfortunately. I have no clue what I am doing wrong? This go is dry but I REALLY want to try a wet cure.
    I will go back this weekend to grab another belly and give this a go. I should have tried a bit of this wet, it truly is gorgeous looking . A little nervous about tenderness because it was gigantic but it is really firming nicely and the moisture is drawing out really good. I just somehow struggle with saltiness as I have said before.
  • #6 by Bentley on 18 Feb 2018
  • I have no idea why you can send and receive to Kristin, but not me.  I will check my settings...
  • #7 by Kristin Meredith on 18 Feb 2018
  • I have no idea why you can send and receive to Kristin, but not me.  I will check my settings...

"Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and others have greatness thrust upon them.”
  • #8 by Bentley on 18 Feb 2018
  • None of those 3 apply to me, so...

If my 2nd Belly is like the 1st one, this will be my next attempt!  Pancetta!

• #9 by mowin on 19 Feb 2018
  • Bentley, I suggest you go longer on the dry cure. Meat absorbs salt at a faster rate than sugar.  Give it a minimum of 10-12 days.

How do you plan on smoking, Cold or hot smoke?  Looking forward to your review. 
  • #10 by Bentley on 19 Feb 2018
  • Wow the guide said 5, so I figured 7 was enough.  I always figure 10 and sometimes go 14 on my wet.  So Will go 10!

I usually cold and warm smoke them, so will probably do that with both of these!
  • #11 by yorkdude on 19 Feb 2018
  • Well now you got my ears up. Have 19# in dry rub now, started it Saturday. I have never wet cured but have made lots and lots of dry an have only gone 10 days a few times. 7 days lots, never had a problem but maybe just been lucky? I never use sugar we don’t like sweet bacon. Salt, pink salt #1 and pepper
  • #12 by BigDave83 on 19 Feb 2018
  • Most of the tables I have seen show cure penetration of 1/4" a day, so a 2" thick piece would take 4 days. also have read that one can under cure but not over cure unless they use the wrong amount of cure.
  • #13 by Bentley on 19 Feb 2018
  • Yeah, this one just asked for thickness of belly, I just guess at 2 inch and it spit out the amounts of cure, salt, sugar and time...I always though that you could not over cure too, so 10 day works for me.  I probably should leave the sugar out to, just habit I guess!
  • #14 by LowSlowJoe on 20 Feb 2018
  • I got me a 8 pound belly in my fridge, I need to get some cure on it either tonight or tomorrow night....
  • #15 by Bentley on 20 Feb 2018
  • Glad you posted, I guess I need to go turn!
Pages:
Actions