Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smoke flavor related to outdoor temp?  (Read 345 times)

Ross77

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Smoke flavor related to outdoor temp?
« on: February 18, 2018, 09:45:04 PM »

We finally had a decent day here in Minneapolis.  High of 43!  I reverse seared some sirloins and had twice baked potatoes on the smoker as well.  180 for about 45 minutes with 100% hickory and the Xtreme smoke function enabled.  The food seemed to have more smoke flavor than usual. 

Could this be because the grill doesn't have to work as hard when it's below freezing?  So the pellets smolder a little longer in between fan pulses?  I haven't had decent smoke flavor for a couple months and it's been pretty darn cold here.  Usually Xtreme Smoke cycles quite often in the bitter cold or not at all.

For those not familiar with the Xtreme Smoke feature, the RecTec will pulse the fan on and off when the temp is set between 180 and 250.  The idea being that the pellets will smolder more when the fan isn't blowing.

The wife even thought the potatoes were almost too smokey. 

Anyone else notice a difference when the outdoor temps are really cold?
Rec Tec RT-680 Char-Broil Patio Bistro  MES: Sold WSM: Sold

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Re: Smoke flavor related to outdoor temp?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 08:58:13 AM »

Too bad you had to cook the potatoes twice -pun.

Can't say I have noticed more smoke flavour in the food, as the weather finally warmed. I do know I am enjoying being around the pit with the sun shining and being more relaxed in the warmth of Spring like weather..The smoke from the pit smells much better to me than it did when cooking in the cold.
Pages: [1]   Go Up