Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Meat Grinder Recommendations  (Read 4878 times)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: Meat Grinder Recommendations
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 04:18:47 PM »

The thing I dislike the most about using it to pipe sausage is the height.  The nice thing about most stuffers is the horn is at the bottom of the canister, so right at countertop.  I can battle through the chore of making the meat go back through that little opening, ya just get it cold and from it into a snake...but figuring out how to get enough into the casing to get it down to the counter, that is my biggest challenge!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2018, 04:29:34 PM »

The thing I dislike the most about using it to pipe sausage is the height.  The nice thing about most stuffers is the horn is at the bottom of the canister, so right at countertop.  I can battle through the chore of making the meat go back through that little opening, ya just get it cold and from it into a snake...but figuring out how to get enough into the casing to get it down to the counter, that is my biggest challenge!

Im surprised you didn't fabricate some sort of shelf by putting a cutting board on top of some bricks or something. ;)
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2018, 04:40:41 PM »

I did, I just did not want to bring that painful memory back to the surface...Kristin is still scared!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2018, 04:45:44 PM »

I did, I just did not want to bring that painful memory back to the surface...Kristin is still scared!

:rotf: :clap:
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

sleebus.jones

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • I like meat
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2018, 01:31:04 PM »

Maybe I don't know any better as it's the only tool I have

Yeah, that does make it hard to compare to other methods.
-=<Cookshack PG1000 | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | Cinderblock rev flow pit | Weber S-670>=-

DE

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2018, 03:53:59 PM »

Ok, I'm going to risk it with this question. I've been embarrassed before so I know it won't last too long. I don't do sausage but for all you folks with a grinder, has anyone ever used it to grind up smoked brisket as a easier way than chopping with the knife or cleaver? Or does the grinder grind it up too small?

Thanks
Doug//PG1000  SI4D   EXPEDITION GRIDDLE  FIREBOARD  THERMOPEN   BLACKSTONE 22  A BRISKITARIAN!

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2018, 04:51:11 PM »

I have not.  But I would think it would be a fine application for a BBQ Beef sandwich, Brisket Tacos, or chili, depending on what size you like your chili meat to be.  Would be tremendous for Enchiladas or Tamales!

How would you all receive a Brisket Spaghetti sauce?

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2018, 05:16:58 PM »

Ok, I'm going to risk it with this question. I've been embarrassed before so I know it won't last too long. I don't do sausage but for all you folks with a grinder, has anyone ever used it to grind up smoked brisket as a easier way than chopping with the knife or cleaver? Or does the grinder grind it up too small?

Thanks

That would be interesting to try using a stuffer grind plate with much larger holes than the fine or course grind plate.  A challenge is you need to cut it up into pieces small enough to go through the grinder in the first place so you already have the knife out.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2018, 07:42:55 AM »

Bentley, just sitting here looking at my mixer I figure maybe strapping to the kitchen chair and the horn may be table height. I don't have a grinder for mine, was looking at getting one, there is a company that makes an all metal version.

DE

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2018, 10:04:21 AM »

I have not.  But I would think it would be a fine application for a BBQ Beef sandwich, Brisket Tacos, or chili, depending on what size you like your chili meat to be.  Would be tremendous for Enchiladas or Tamales!

How would you all receive a Brisket Spaghetti sauce?

Ok, sounds like further research is needed. The Sandwich, Brisket Tacos, even chili are right in line. Make a lot of smoked cheese brisket nachos and smoked cheese brisket Quesadillas that sound like it will work for as well. Brisket Spaghetti Sauce?, This guy will take Brisket in anything!

Not sure how small of chunks you would have to cut up, but if your hand chopping 2-3 hunks of goodness at a time it is a bit of a days work, then vacuum packing in 3 oz packages is why I'm looking at this idea. Don't do that much on a regular basis but the last time I still recall a long day.

Thanks for the responses!

Doug//PG1000  SI4D   EXPEDITION GRIDDLE  FIREBOARD  THERMOPEN   BLACKSTONE 22  A BRISKITARIAN!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2018, 11:01:39 AM »

DE, go to youtube and watch some LEM meat grinder videos.  You may be able to get a sense for the different size grind plates and what the meat texture looks like coming out of the grinder.  I have not looked for any that use already cooked meat going through the grinder so I am not sure how that would work.  It is recommended the meat be really cold for grinding raw meat.  I assume the same could be said for already cooked meat and it may work in the same manner.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2018, 12:41:53 PM »

When I grind pork for sausage,  I will have 6-8 inch long strips I grind, Very rarely do I cube anymore!  Semi-frozen is semi-frozen, they go through real easy and less work!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2018, 10:42:47 AM »

LEM has a 20% off sale going on right now.  I just bought the #8 big bite and some other accessories.

triplebq

• If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2018, 06:13:10 PM »

I've had this one for several years and it works just fine.
https://www.amazon.com/STX-International-STX-3000-TF-Turboforce-Electric/dp/B0012KJBR0/ref=sr_1_5?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1519164850&sr=1-5&keywords=meat+grinder

I'm about to buy a grinder and after readying through old posts this seems like a nice all around unit. Thx
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up