Poll: If you have a slicer, how often do you use it?

Daily
- 0 (0%)
Weekly
- 2 (14.3%)
Monthly
- 9 (64.3%)
I regret the purchase and don't use it often.
- 3 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by dk117 on 03 Jun 2019
  • Fathers day is nearly upon us.   At this point my wife prefers I pick out my own activities or gifts.  I've been thinking about a $300 or so slicer from Amazon.  Storage is a real concern.   Use is a bigger one.  Please share your experiences.

Thanks.
  • #2 by bregent on 03 Jun 2019
  • I use my Chefs Choice 630 a few times a week. Storage and moving was also a concern for me which is why I decided on that model. I thought about a commercial slicer but have no convenient place to store it and don't want to move a heavy slicer up and down the stairs a few times a week. Commercial and medium duty slicers are usually more difficult to clean as well. I do frequent, smaller jobs like bacon, charcuterie, bread, etc.  I've had it for 6 or 7 years and it's holding up fine.  If I used it infrequently for bigger jobs, I would think about getting a heavier duty model.
  • #3 by Free Mr. Tony on 03 Jun 2019
  • I don't care for the cleaning process, but wouldn't want to be without it.  I use it infrequently, but often enough to make it worthwhile.  The things that I do use it for would be nearly impossible to get the same results any other way.  So the good definitely outweighs the bad. 
  • #4 by RWhyman on 03 Jun 2019
  • I don't use mine often, but still glad I have it. Not commercial quality though.
  • #5 by triplebq on 03 Jun 2019
  • I don't use mine often, but still glad I have it. Not commercial quality though.

Same here. I don't use it often mostly because I buy meats in bulk. But when I pull it out to slice up meats, I love it. Well worth the purchase.
  • #6 by pmillen on 03 Jun 2019
  • I don't care for the cleaning process, but wouldn't want to be without it.  I use it infrequently, but often enough to make it worthwhile.  The things that I do use it for would be nearly impossible to get the same results any other way.  So the good definitely outweighs the bad.

+1
  • #7 by Bentley on 03 Jun 2019
  • I primarily use mine for meats, but it cuts a mean onion, cucumber and tomato!  Left over tri-tip or find a nice cheap roast, french dip sandwiches, roast beef, Italian Beef, Cheese Steak...I also love cold cut subs, so if i ever get to RD I will usually buy the big cuts and slice them the way I want for my needs.

The Chefs Choice is far from commercial grade, but it is also one nut and off comes the blade.  Spray with Clorox cleaner, wipe down and I am done.
  • #8 by Ralphie on 05 Jun 2019
  • Bentley,
    I've eyeballed those whole cold cut deli meats at RD dreaming about creating the world's best Italian hoagie.  How do you store the deli meat when not in use?  Those are large hunks of meat! 
  • #9 by Bentley on 05 Jun 2019
  • I will slice the whole loaf, and vac seal in 1-2 lb. packages and into the freezer!  This was a 7lb turkey loaf...cuz a mans gotta have a Club sometimes!

• #10 by Ralphie on 05 Jun 2019
  • That makes me want another lunch today.
  • #11 by cookingjnj on 05 Jun 2019
  • Not to send the post too far off topic, Bent, that is one good lookin club. 
  • #12 by bregent on 05 Jun 2019
  • Not to send the post too far off topic, Bent, that is one good lookin club.

+1.

I'm just waiting for our tomatoes to get ripe and that's the first thing I'm gonna make.

• #13 by yorkdude on 05 Jun 2019
  • That is a good looking sandwich, they have always been up there on the favorite list.
  • #14 by Bar-B-Lew on 05 Jun 2019
  • I love that sandwich less the turkey.  Can't wait for fresh tomatoes from my buddies garden to make those sandwiches for a few weeks straight.
Pages:
Actions