Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by triplebq on 12 Dec 2018
  • OK I finally decided to give it a try. I'm in the process of doing a hot and fast brisket cook. My plan is 300 degrees for roughly 2 hours. I'm thinking the temp should be around 160 by then. Then into a foil pan with a can of beef consomme until 198-203. Not sure if I will do burnt ends. If so I will cube the point and back onto the pit for a couple of hours.

Will post the results.

My normal cook is 180 for 6-8 hours to get some smoke. Then wrap (foil or butcher), turn up pit to 230, and let it go until 198 or so. My normal cook tends to take around 14 hours on average.
  • #2 by KrautBurner on 12 Dec 2018
  • I'm looking forward to your review of this method
    I'm really curious if/how much smoke flavor you get (or don't get) compared to a long low cook   :bbq:
    I can see this working better with a stick burner than a pellet grill since the PG is a much more mild smoke flavor to begin with

please post pics too
  • #3 by triplebq on 12 Dec 2018
  • I agree. I'm expecting the have less smoke flavor. Will post pics
  • #4 by triplebq on 12 Dec 2018
  • Just pulled the brisket and separated the point and flat.

• #5 by triplebq on 12 Dec 2018
  • Initial impressions is the fat isn't rendered like I like it. The flat is resting and the point is back on the pit for burnt ends.
  • #6 by bregent on 12 Dec 2018
  • Initial impressions is the fat isn't rendered like I like it. The flat is resting and the point is back on the pit for burnt ends.

Did you cook to the same IT as low and slow? My experience with hot and fast is that it finishes at a higher IT.
  • #7 by triplebq on 12 Dec 2018
  • Pics after slicing and some burnt ends. I must say I did like the taste. Not a lot of smoke which was OK. My wife and son loved it.
  • #8 by triplebq on 12 Dec 2018

Did you cook to the same IT as low and slow? My experience with hot and fast is that it finishes at a higher IT.

I ended up going to about 205 which is hotter than I normal do. The total cook took about 5 hours for the flat. After pulling I put the point (burnt ends) ends back on for another 2 hours.
  • #9 by Yellow-03 on 13 Dec 2018
  • Which of your cookers did you use?
  • #10 by triplebq on 13 Dec 2018
  • Which of your cookers did you use?

I used my Blaz'n Grid Iron.
  • #11 by Bar-B-Lew on 13 Dec 2018
  • So the big question is: what method of cook do you plan to use going forward?
  • #12 by triplebq on 13 Dec 2018

I have a Wagyu brisket that I will be doing for Xmas dinner. I will be using the Low and Slow method. To me the fat is  rendered down better when cooking it low. I must admit, going Hot and Fast isn't as bad as I thought.
  • #13 by Bar-B-Lew on 13 Dec 2018

I have a Wagyu brisket that I will be doing for Xmas dinner. I will be using the Low and Slow method. To me the fat is  rendered down better when cooking it low. I must admit, going Hot and Fast isn't as bad as I thought.

I'm a 275° guy for just about everything "smoked".  In fact, I don't think I use any different temp on my Memphis except 200° for jerky.
  • #14 by triplebq on 13 Dec 2018
  • 275 could be a great temp to try. I bet I would get more fat rendering like I like at that temp.
Pages:
Actions