Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Woody on 22 Apr 2018
  • Thanks Slaga.  Today I'm doing some pork belly at 225,  This is my first time using the smoker under 275 and i can see after 5 hours that it's using much less than before.  Same brand of pellets but my outdoor temp is 60 degrees. 
  • #17 by bregent on 23 Apr 2018
  • >I'll experiment more with other brands of pellets and try to do a more scientific study with a scale.

I'd be surprised if you see much with other pellets. All pellets/wood species have roughly the same BTU, and the Memphis controller does a great job burning the right amount to keep a constant temp.
  • #18 by Canadian John on 23 Apr 2018

•  Damp pellets don't give off as much heat as some of the energy is used to rid them of water by converting the water to steam..An other variable is ambients and wind, even in the mighty Memphis.
  • #19 by Woody on 23 Apr 2018
  • For what it's worth, yesterday I did an 8 hour smoke at 225 and it used less than 1lb/hr.  As I said above, the outdoor temp was about 60.  I must make the assumption that my earlier consumption rate of 2lbs/hr is a result of cooler ambient temps and higher smoker temps(Duh). 

Bottom line...my Memphis Pro used 2lbs/hr+ of RecTec pellets at 275 degrees, if the outdoor temps are 35 or below.   Same grill, same pellets, cooking at 225 degrees with 60 degree ambient temp uses less than 1lb/hr.
  • #20 by Woody on 24 Apr 2018
  • As far as the tires I was asking about...I learned that the original casters are what they call grip ring stem casters which can be easily removed by sticking something like a tiny screwdriver into the hole in the caster housing from above.  I've ordered replacement casters which are 5" wheels instead of the smaller 2 3/4" original size.  It looks like the replacements will fit right into the original housing and work fine.  I've included a picture of the original caster along with what I ordered as a replacement.  These larger wheels will help with moving the grill across pavers and grass, although pneumatic tires would be better but I couldn't fine any with the stems that will fit. 

I ordered grey replacement casters with brakes very similar to the originals, but I found blue and red ones that would look cool to some.  Total cost of these replacements with shipping was $36.00

• #21 by Bentley on 24 Apr 2018
  • This is the original wheel?  And it is not working for you?  You really would not have like the wheels 8 years ago!

• #22 by Bar-B-Lew on 24 Apr 2018
  • That's for sure...one of my wheels fell off and I only roll it across a threshold from garage to patio.
  • #23 by slaga on 24 Apr 2018
  • As far as the tires I was asking about...I learned that the original casters are what they call grip ring stem casters which can be easily removed by sticking something like a tiny screwdriver into the hole in the caster housing from above.  I've ordered replacement casters which are 5" wheels instead of the smaller 2 3/4" original size.  It looks like the replacements will fit right into the original housing and work fine.  I've included a picture of the original caster along with what I ordered as a replacement.  These larger wheels will help with moving the grill across pavers and grass, although pneumatic tires would be better but I couldn't fine any with the stems that will fit. 

I ordered grey replacement casters with brakes very similar to the originals, but I found blue and red ones that would look cool to some.  Total cost of these replacements with shipping was $36.00

$36 vs. $375 to $400 for the comp wheel set, I think I know which way I would have went too. Personally I'd prefer the hard rubber casters over the pneumatic tires. The pneumatic tires might roll easier over the terrain you have to go through but I'd hate to have to get a pump out to inflate a tire so I could roll my grill out to cook with it.
  • #24 by Bar-B-Lew on 24 Apr 2018

$36 vs. $375 to $400 for the comp wheel set, I think I know which way I would have went too. Personally I'd prefer the hard rubber casters over the pneumatic tires. The pneumatic tires might roll easier over the terrain you have to go through but I'd hate to have to get a pump out to inflate a tire so I could roll my grill out to cook with it.

Yeah, I removed the air wheels from my Blazn cart and replaced with non inflatable tires for the same reason you mentioned.
  • #25 by Woody on 24 Apr 2018
  • The original wheels are quality casters, they just shake the heck out of the whole unit when I push it 20 feet on pavers.  We will see if the few inches in wheel diameter makes much difference.  If it doesn't I'll run four screws down through these original caster holes into sheets of treated plywood and screw airless pneumatic casters up into that. 
Pages:
Actions